Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus strike dublin city - take care!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

poochiem wrote: »
    Roads were an absolute pleasure this morning. I had three lanes of the Rock road to myself. So quiet I even pulled a U-ey and went back to throw a large stone out of the cycle lane over a wall and still no cars.

That would have sounded much better if you had so much time to do a u-turn to pick up a large stone to throw through a house window.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Who's got a spare POS bike in the shed that we could to this guy? And has the Irish Times turned into the Indo?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/clondalkin-man-s-7km-walk-to-work-during-bus-strike-1.2785558

7km is a longish walk alright, but it's not epic for an able-bodied adult.

Mind you, my father, who is an able-bodied adult, regards a twenty-minute walk as pretty extreme.

(I read a book about the Lock-out a few years back, and it mentioned the difficulty people in Inchicore had getting to the city centre when the trams weren't running. I found that remarkable, in that it's a long-ish but still walkable distance: less than an hour's walk? A pain, but hardly worth recounting a century later.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Who's got a spare POS bike in the shed that we could to this guy? And has the Irish Times turned into the Indo?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/clondalkin-man-s-7km-walk-to-work-during-bus-strike-1.2785558
    FFS - you'd swear he had to walk 70k!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Then again, when you see the amount of people looking for sponsorship for a 5k or 10k run, this guy is clearly a freakin' legend amongst men.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

And has the Irish Times turned into the Indo?
    this move to vox pops and presenting opinions of completely unqualified people as 'news' is really aggravating.

the 'we need to see the human tragedy implicit in this bus strike' approach is kinda comical though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

7k is a nice walk. Do him good.

Edit. His wife Sarah could easily walk to knocklyon. Nice stroll up the Belgard Rd. Do her good.

:)

Deedsie wrote: »
    I cycle fast along the N11 but I slow right down from Donnybrook into town. There are way too many opportunities for a collision to be hammering along at 30 - 35 km/h.

I have been knocked down twice in Donnybrook so it just seems sensible to drop down the pace. Neither collision was my fault or anything but I like to be that bit more ready to react to erratic driving from motorists.

When I'm going to Ballsbridge, I go along the Goatstown-Ranelagh road and turn right down Marlborough Road and then Pembroke Park. I just find the Donnybrook stretch you're talking about quite awful. (Of course, that route's suitability depends on where you're starting off.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

tomasrojo wrote: »
    7km is a longish walk alright, but it's not epic for an able-bodied adult.

Mind you, my father, who is an able-bodied adult, regards a twenty-minute walk as pretty extreme.

(I read a book about the Lock-out a few years back, and it mentioned the difficulty people in Inchicore had getting to the city centre when the trams weren't running. I found that remarkable, in that it's a long-ish but still walkable distance: less than an hour's walk? A pain, but hardly worth recounting a century later.)

Constance Markievicz and James Connolly led the last Sunday route march of the Citizen Army on the day before the outbreak of the Rising; it was their standard 16 miles into the Dublin mountains and back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Eponymous wrote: »
    Then again, when you see the amount of people looking for sponsorship for a 5k or 10k run, this guy is clearly a freakin' legend amongst men.

Throw on the running gear and jog in!, obvious solution in the absence of a bike. Funny, the two groups least affected by the strike - runners & cyclists :)

Eponymous wrote: »

That's funny, because one morning I remember a colleague was being congratulated and everyone admiring her medal for completing a 10km mini-marathon over the weekend. She'd walked it. I had walked a slightly longer distance into work that day.

Not that it wasn't an accomplishment on her part, but where was my round of applause!?!?

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Throw on the running gear and jog in!, obvious solution in the absence of a bike. Funny, the two groups least affected by the strike - runners & cyclists :)

Well, they're obviously doing just fine. Cut their funding, Minister Ross. What's that you say ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

That's funny, because one morning I remember a colleague was being congratulated and everyone admiring her medal for completing a 10km mini-marathon over the weekend. She'd walked it. I had walked a slightly longer distance into work that day.

Not that it wasn't an accomplishment on her part, but where was my round of applause!?!?

*applauds to make Tomas feel better*

*applauds to make Tomas feel better*

You're too kind. It was nothing really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

LOL, my OH takes a walk of about 6.8km on her lunch break usually, says it wakes her up and keeps her invigorated for the second half of the day.

Must warn her not to overdo it, 7 would be too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Firedance wrote: »
    Throw on the running gear and jog in!,
    He got half way through your advice, I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

He got half way through your advice, I see.

Nope, that's a tracksuit top....no self respecting runner would be seen in one of those :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

CramCycle wrote: »
    ... about 6.8km ...

Could you be more precise? :)

CramCycle wrote: »
    LOL, my OH takes a walk of about 6.8km on her lunch break usually, says it wakes her up and keeps her invigorated for the second half of the day.

Must warn her not to overdo it, 7 would be too much.

When I lived in Orange County, I remember the Orange County Register used to do stories along the lines of "Man Who Can Afford Car Walks to Work". I think we're not far off that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

crosstownk wrote: »
    I left Swords for Terenure in the pi$sings of rain. At Whitehall, my luck got even better - a puncture :rolleyes:

As I approached town the traffic was mental - especially where the new Luas lines are being installed at Lower Dorset St.

There were significantly less cyclists about compared to this morning.

I think I saw you. Do you have a white bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think I saw you. Do you have a white bike?
    He does!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That's funny, because one morning I remember a colleague was being congratulated and everyone admiring her medal for completing a 10km mini-marathon over the weekend. She'd walked it.
    i do remember reading an 'are marathon runners suffering from sour grapes?' article examining whether marathon runners were justified in believing that the concept of finishing a marathon was being cheapened by people who entered and took over six hours to compete. i'd certainly have some sympathy for their viewpoint (with some obvious exceptions being made).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

i do remember reading an 'are marathon runners suffering from sour grapes?' article examining whether marathon runners were justified in believing that the concept of finishing a marathon was being cheapened by people who entered and took over six hours to compete. i'd certainly have some sympathy for their viewpoint (with some obvious exceptions being made).

Sure what's their hurry? Won't it be there after them?

i'm a reasonably brisk walker; i'd walk 26 miles in less than six hours if i maintained my normal pace. but if i walked 26 miles in five and a half hours, say, i would feel embarrassed to claim 'i completed a marathon today'.

I don't want to be elitist, but it's quite normal, historically at least, for humans to walk longish distances as a matter of course. We're very good at walking, and it doesn't take a lot out of us. We even do it for after-dinner recreation. Running long distances is a lot harder, which is why it's regarded as an accomplishment. Walking, less so. Unless you have mobility problems, in which case walking can be a major accomplishment.

I remember Ian Walker (of Bath-based helmet-close-passes fame) mentioning on Twitter that on hearing that he'd walked twenty miles the previous weekend a colleague said that he should have done it for charity. "Oh Britain!" tweeted Walker.

Advertisement