Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI VGA problem

Options
  • 08-09-2016 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭

We use VGA projectors where I work.

I bought a laptop that doesnt have VGA connection. So I bought a VGA/HDMI cable....

thought itd be fine

But it doesnt connect to any of the projectors...

Any ideas?

HP Laptop, Windows 10.

I havent ruled out the cable being broken yet. Will try on another computer this morning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need an adapter (a box) not just a cable.

51l9lIDdCbL._SY355_.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As Ed E says, you need an actual adapter - the video signal needs to be converted in order to be usable as a VGA input if it's originally an HDMI output.

My experience with a lot of passive adapters is that they're alright for a while but prone to failure, so if you're looking at buying one, I'd recommend an active (i.e. powered) adapter. Dell used to supply USB-powered active adapters with some of their systems and those were usually fine in my experience, so you don't need a mains-powered adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Absolute waste of money so.

Any idea how much one of those cables would cost me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Can't you look on ebay or amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Two posters have already told you - it's an ADAPTER you need, not a cable.

Better still, tell your boss to move into the 21st century and buy a new projector.

• Advertisement

They bought 50 of those projectors.

Sorry. How much is the adapter ?

Ballpark.

I could search Amazon and eBay but if they were 3, 30 or 300 I wouldn't know if that was a fair price.

Hence the question

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bought one recently for the gf
    Your Amazon.de order of "HDMI auf VGA, Rankie...

Paid by Visa: EUR 11,98

BTW you'll then need the normal VGA cable but if the site has 50x VGA projectors you should have plenty of them.

http://m.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=vga+hdmi+adapter&isNewKw=1&isRefine=true&mfs=KWCLK&acimp=0&_trksid=p2056088.m2428.l1311.R1.TR9.TRC0.Xvga+hdmi&sqp=vga+hdmi

Sorry for the noob link and question but I am clueless

The first 4 there seem to be it and cheap...

Will they do? Or do I need some power source like a previous poster said ?

If your company insist you use vga, get in touch with the IT department and explain that you live in the 21st century and laptops no longer come with vga. Get them to source the adapters as I'm sure you are not the only person in this boat.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

http://m.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=vga+hdmi+adapter&isNewKw=1&isRefine=true&mfs=KWCLK&acimp=0&_trksid=p2056088.m2428.l1311.R1.TR9.TRC0.Xvga+hdmi&sqp=vga+hdmi

Sorry for the noob link and question but I am clueless

The first 4 there seem to be it and cheap...

Will they do? Or do I need some power source like a previous poster said ?

Don't waste your time solving a problem someone else created by being lazy or cheap or both when sourcing the projectors - explain the issue to whoever it is that chose what model to buy and get them to talk to the supplier and figure out a solution. If that means someone gets bitten for having bought 50 devices on a B2B non-returnable contract, then so be it - it's how they'll learn to actually check the product specs before confirming the order in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They surely must be all old projectors if they all solely come with VGA? I'd agree that the person who bought them should sort it out, unless the company is usually older laptops nobody will be able to connect their laptop to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They bought 50 of those projectors.

Dare we ask - how long ago? If in the past 5-7 years then they definitely should have come with HDMI as a minimum and probably VGA for older laptops.

My (midrange Lenovo) laptop was bought in April 2010 and has both so I can't imagine anyone buying that number of projectors in the past 5 years if they didn't have HDMI, unless they were complete idiots or got a kickback to take obsolete stock.

Work gave us all old laptops. All have vga. Hence the vga adapters.

My laltio broke so I'm just using my own one but having connection problems.

Work gave us all old laptops. All have vga. Hence the vga adapters.

My laltio broke so I'm just using my own one but having connection problems.

Why didn't they give you a replacement 'old' laptop? Sounds like a cowboy operation tbh.

Because we've all moved to ipads now

I'm waiting on an ipad.

I do prefer a laptop for ppt etc

Maybe we can stop chastising the operation and the business and re focus on the problem

You've been told, by several people including me, that the solution is to buy a proper adapter that will convert the signal. Like one of these, for example. Unless you're hoping for a poster here to buy the adapter and post it to you, there's no more problem to be solved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Fysh wrote: »
    You've been told, by several people including me, that the solution is to buy a proper adapter that will convert the signal. Like one of these, for example. Unless you're hoping for a poster here to buy the adapter and post it to you, there's no more problem to be solved :)

+1 what Fysh said. And agree with TerrorFirmers and Fyshs earlier comments - you shouldn't be dealing with this.....your IT dept should sort it out. Sounds like there was a job lot of "feckit....they'll survive with these laptops and projectors" on sale and your IT guy fell for it.

Plus, if you are moving to iPads, you'll need more adaptors to connect them to those old projectors.

I sent a link with what I think you guys have recommended.

Just looking for someone to give that the thumbs up before u go ahead and pay for it

Simples

Just looking for someone to give that the thumbs up before u go ahead and pay for it

Simples

Eh? I aint paying for it!

Simples

I tried to look at the listings on the ebay search you linked to, but none of the items that came up jumped out at me as being particularly likely to work (and I tend to ebay as an "only spend what you wouldn't mind losing" outlet for stuff like this).

However, I had a nose around on Amazon and found this, which ought to do the trick for you.

Maplin also have some similar devices - more expensive, but on the other hand if you have a store nearby and can pop in, it would mean you could try before you buy...

• Advertisement

thanks fysh. appreciate you looking.

but thats the exact lead i bought pretty much..... doesnt work for me

Did you see the pihut.com link I included a few posts up? That might also work for you.

More generally, you've got three options:
    1) Keep buying leads online and returning/getting refunds for the ones that don't work until you find one that does work.
    2) Take the price hit and go to somewhere like Maplin or whatever brick & mortar shop you have nearby until you find one that has the type of adapter you need, and test it in the shop before buying.
    3) Make it your workplace's problem since we are ultimately talking about your workplace failing to provide you with an adapter required to make the equipment inter-operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

just looked at the comments on that amazon listing, and someone said that they had to file down a part of the cable to make it work...worth another look.

Also, are you using the usb power injector?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

im gonna go out on a limb here and say the projector may actually have HDMI on it and VGA but they are mounted on the ceiling and the electricians ran VGA to the table (because that is what is spec'd)

For this setup you need an adaptor.

It all comes down to whomever Spec'd the cable run.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

listermint wrote: »
    im gonna go out on a limb here and say the projector may actually have HDMI on it and VGA but they are mounted on the ceiling and the electricians ran VGA to the table (because that is what is spec'd)

For this setup you need an adaptor.

It all comes down to whomever Spec'd the cable run.

I'd agree its probably there just no cable

I checked the little adapter thingy you posted earlier also.

I showed it to my IT friend here he said I'd need to get a powered cable. One with a power source.

Yeah the projectors are mounted on the ceiling and a cable runs down into these boxes that are at waist height in all the rooms.

Ideally we should be wireless by now but we aren't

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I checked the little adapter thingy you posted earlier also.

I showed it to my IT friend here he said I'd need to get a powered cable. One with a power source.

Yeah the projectors are mounted on the ceiling and a cable runs down into these boxes that are at waist height in all the rooms.

Ideally we should be wireless by now but we aren't

I use an hdmi to via adaptor all the time which isn't powered. Got it in Harvey Norman (was in a rush and couldn't wait for delivery. It was sixty Euro though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

OP - get the one Stheno mentioned above and rent it out to work colleagues for €20 a day......will be loaded in no time ;)

Advertisement