Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for the safest route to cycle from Fairview to Baggot Street

Options
  • 08-09-2016 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, I've just gotten a new job in the Baggot Street area and plan to cycle. I'd like to avoid Connolly Station, the IFSC if possible. Can anyone familiar with the route recommend a safer option? I thought perhaps Seville Place/Guild Street but this week's fatal accident has me rethinking that option. Thanks a mil for any suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

bob_sponge wrote: »
    Hi, I've just gotten a new job in the Baggot Street area and plan to cycle. I'd like to avoid Connolly Station, the IFSC if possible. Can anyone familiar with the route recommend a safer option? I thought perhaps Seville Place/Guild Street but this week's fatal accident has me rethinking that option. Thanks a mil for any suggestions!

I cycle most of that route, Howth road, fairview, down Amiens st, past Connolly st and over the Liffey bridge there, it's probably the safest option as there are cycle lanes (quality of lane is another discussion) all along and many many cyclists use that route and so cars/buses are more cautious. You don't have many if any other options. I think it's wiser to stick to routes that are frequented by cyclists...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Connolly is fine to cycle by, you'll have safety in numbers going down North Strand. Another option is to go via East Wall and the Beckett bridge, less safety in numbers and bike lanes that way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bob_sponge

Thanks to you both, it mustn't be as bad as I think it is. I'll have to do a practice run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

You mentioned you plan to cycle, can I assume you're new to cycling?

Just take precautions, stay back from large trucks, don't creep up along buses/trucks at lights or in tight places, always be looking at ahead and be vigilant to what is beside and behind, use hand signals, don't be timid and hug the kerb unnecessarily close, don't take risks...

This is all common sense but the amount of times I've seen cyclists take risks like going for the 18 inch gap between two buses that could pull out at any time, or creeping up along the length of a truck stopped at red lights just so he/she can be at the top of the queue... as I said all common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

bob_sponge wrote: »

This is my route on the way in [ https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3606021,-6.2390309/53.3340398,-6.245256/@53.343982,-6.2415566,16.75z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m10!3m4!1m2!1d-6.2408746!2d53.3495852!3s0x48670ef32c6ef693:0x9cab6973682ead3d!3m4!1m2!1d-6.2422088!2d53.336001!3s0x48670ebe2165eccf:0x6baa4615244cd26f!1m0!3e0 ] but if safety is your #1 priority I would suggest avoiding Cardiff Lane, Macken St. & Grand Canal St. by using Clanwilliam Terrace (sorry about the cobbles), Grand Canal Quay, Forbes St. You have the option of using the appalling 'bike lane' along part of North Strand though I use the road. On the way south watch that there's nobody trying to take the corner as you turn left on to Seville Place, also for people darting across from Oriel St. Upper to Lower. I myself have never had any problems where Seville Place turns into Guild St. There is a pedestrian crossing there so you could hop up on to the path if you want to be totally safe.

Northbound, suggest you use the road on Guild St. Can switch over at the crossroads next to the Liffey or there's a couple of pedestrian crossings on Guild St., further down. Need to be careful at the junction of oriel St. and Seville Place again. No right hand turn onto North Strand. Don't be that guy that cycles up the wrong side of the road and cycle lane there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement