Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a Campervan in Australia

Options
  • 08-09-2016 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭

I'm toying with the idea of bringing my OH and son down to Sydney next summer (June/July). All our friends and relations down there have small houses and kids so I'm trying to avoid being too much of a burden in staying in their houses. I was thinking, as we would also like to do some travelling, that a campervan might be ideal for us.

Has anyone rented a campervan in Oz before and do you have any recommendations? I've had a quick look on Google, but even in June/July a decent campervan looks pricey. We could try to reduce it down to a week or 2, but ideally it would be nice to have it for the month so we can visit friends and travel around freely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Would you consider buying one? I've lived in a campervan for a year in aus and it was amazing. I've owned 2 different campervans and both times i sold them for more than i bought them for, and very easily too. Definitely more hassle to do that but it would make sense financially. The sites i used to buy them was gumtree and campervancampingsales

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Would you consider buying one? I've lived in a campervan for a year in aus and it was amazing. I've owned 2 different campervans and both times i sold them for more than i bought them for, and very easily too. Definitely more hassle to do that but it would make sense financially. The sites i used to buy them was gumtree and campervancampingsales

I'm not sure I'd like to go down that route. Maybe if I was going down for a few months. But I think it's too risky to buy and sell in a 3 week period. Also, I don't have the spare cash to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you are looking to travel around from place to place, imoova.com do rental relocations (people rent them 1 way and they need them brought back to their origin). So you get a set number of days to drive it back to its origin. They are usually free or $5 a day. They give you a set amount of KM's to you can drive and a time frame. Any extra time is charged at the normal rental rate...so if they gave you 2 days to get somewhere and you took 3 or 4, yo only pay for the extra days.

People are usually pretty accommodating when friends stay too, large or small house. They may not mind. Being in a Campervan in June/July will be VERY cold at night with temps dropping to 0 or below freezing depending where you are, even in Sydney.

Buying a campervan to stay in and sell on can be a world of trouble. Most chep campervans can be a clapped out money pit. All the ads say they are serviced every 5000km by backpackers selling them which is total bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks! I'll check out imoova.com. I heard it can get cold at night there alright!

Advertisement