Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESTA.IE Warning to others

Options
  • 08-09-2016 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

I know there's been other threads but wanted to post this as information for other people affected.

Yes, I was dumb enough to fall for the ESTA.ie website and didn't realise I had over paid (USD89 instead of USD14) until I got the approvals and saw the fee amount on those to be USD14.

I went into the correct website https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ and checked my applications and they have been approved. (Phew!)

I'm not sure about going down the refund route as I've seen on google search that there may be an issue with cancelling payment and then subsequently re-applying. I guess I'm gonna chalk it down to experience. I just wanted to reassure others (cos I'm sure there will be others caught similarily) that my application has gone through so though the website may be bogus in that it fools you into handing over an extortionate "processing fee" it does actually process the applications.

Lesson learned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Is there not a consumer watchdog to report this website? It is a '.ie' after all.

Legal or not, it doesn't matter if people are foolish enough to fall for it. Its a scam essentially and should be taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's a clear disclaimer at the bottom...
    Legal Disclaimer:This website is operated by a private company which provides information about the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. We are NOT affiliated with the government of the United States. Any outgoing links on our website to third parties may offer services and products for a fee. You are encouraged to read and agree to the operating policies of all websites you visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There's a clear disclaimer at the bottom...

When you click through to apply it also says they're a private company and charge you $89 to help you process the forms. If you click apply, you are essentially agreeing to those terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

FonE wrote: »
    I know there's been other threads

None of which you consulted before you fell for the scam so what is the point of yet another 'after the event' warning?

In fairness to Google, they have promoted the official CBP website to the top of the listing when you search for 'ESTA' so you can no longer buy your way to the top of that screen and nobody who now falls for that 'xxxx.ie' rip-off website gets any sympathy from me.
    FonE wrote: »
    ... but wanted to post this as information for other people affected.

Great, join the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

jme2010 wrote: »
    Is there not a consumer watchdog to report this website? It is a '.ie' after all.

Legal or not, it doesn't matter if people are foolish enough to fall for it. Its a scam essentially and should be taken down.

Are you assuming it's an Irish site? Because dot-ie?

These guys could be in Mongolia. If Mongolia had the bandwidth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

coylemj wrote: »
    In fairness to Google, they have promoted the official CBP website to the top of the listing when you search for 'ESTA' so you can no longer buy your way to the top of that screen and nobody who now falls for that 'xxxx.ie' rip-off website gets any sympathy from me.

I made the mistake of Googling ESTA Ireland, that search brings up the ESTA.ie site as the first result. I'm not looking for sympathy, I realise I made an error of judgement but wanted to reassure anyone else who fell for it that the applications were processed.
    coylemj wrote: »
    None of which you consulted before you fell for the scam so what is the point of yet another 'after the event' warning?
    Of course I didn't search for "Who fell for esta.ie scam?" posts or threads before doing my application, if I'd known such a thing existed I wouldn't have fallen foul of it in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TriggerMLR

Just to update anyone I cannot believe I just fell for this, the .ie site is still here in 2017!!!! I'm disgusted with myself and would have always thought I had a scam radar built in. Not sure now if I go down the refund route will the ESTA application be denied or withdrawn ??

Advertisement