Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is the story with repeating exams in UCD?

Options
  • 08-09-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am a Trinity student and was wondering what happens if you fail an exam in UCD. From what I gathered, UCD is less strict and you can use your credits to pass the year despite falling a subject?

In Trinity if you fail an exam twice ( you fail it again at supplemental) and you get less than 35%, you must repeat the year. In third year there are courses that don't even let you sit supplemental/ repeats and all courses have no repeats in forth year.So yeah.. very rough.

If somebody would like to describe me how the exam situation is in UCD, that would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

I think that passing by compensation has been done away with as a rule in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think that passing by compensation has been done away with as a rule in UCD.

It is, indeed. As I understand it, should you fail a class (that's the exam and the continuous assessment not being enough combined to pass) at Xmas or Summer exam sessions, you've to repeat the exam at the following exam sessions. You can also elect to repeat the entire class, should you wish. Either way, it's a repeat/resit is capped at a D-/2.0, unless you can substitute for another module, in such a case that module is treated as a first attempt.

If you're continuing on into another year in UCD, within the same course, you're allowed a 10-credit deficit (1-to-2 classes) until the missing credits are achieved with a repeat exam/course resit/substitution at the end of the following semester. This carries semester-to-semester or year-to-year. Again, from my hearsay understanding, if you fail more than three then you've to redo the entire semester until you can progress.

If you fail classes at the end of the exam session before you're due to graduate, your graduation is deferred for year and you've to turn up at the following exam session to get the sufficient credits you need to graduate.

As to how many times you can repeat a class/exam, I've never heard of anyone needing it, but have vague recollections from limited research that you can simply repeat it as many times as needed as to get your credits. So, yeah, pretty lax. There's also certain classes with must-pass components (such as an in-semester MCQ or somesuch), which complicated things even further.

The above convoluted, probably poorly explained diatribe is incentive enough to not fail anything. Yanno, before we even get to the fact that UCD charge 230 a pop per repeat, with no cap irrespective of how many repeats one has to sit.

That's just made head hurt, and it's probably outdated/wrong, given how often UCD fiddle about with policy.

Advertisement