Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doha World Championships

Options
  • 08-09-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,476 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's still over a month away but I just wanted to start this thread because I haven't heard of any cyclists pulling out of the event. I'm disappointed by this because of all the human rights atrocities going on over there.

Has anybody pulled out yet? Hopefully it happens. Professional sport is all about money these days and it's the reason the event has found it's way to Qatar but for me these organisations have to show some semblnce of humanity.

The mad thing about it is that if the right person pulled out it would raise their profile massively worldwide in a very good way I think.

It would have to be somebody like Sagan, Froome, Quintana, Contador, Nibali or maybe Greipel or Cavendish.

Surely there has to be one of them who has enough concern for other human beings to make a stand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

eagle eye wrote: »
    It would have to be somebody like Sagan, Froome, Quintana, Contador, Nibali or maybe Greipel or Cavendish.

Surely there has to be one of them who has enough concern for other human beings to make a stand.
    Wouldn't say any on the highlighted were ever going to ride it, given the course. Nibbles going from Astana to Bahrain team, so don't think Human Rights has even been on his agenda! All of them (afaik) have done other middle eastern races.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

dont think anyone anyones going to pull out on political grounds but I would have questions over how a city in an area of the world without out any cycling history was awarded the worlds, I know the answer is $$$$$$$$$$ but like the olympics and world cup you have to wonder what strings were been pulled and passed around. Also I think this must be the 1st time a city has advertised on TV the fact that its hosting the worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

eagle eye wrote: »
    I know it's still over a month away but I just wanted to start this thread because I haven't heard of any cyclists pulling out of the event. I'm disappointed by this because of all the human rights atrocities going on over there.

Has anybody pulled out yet? Hopefully it happens. Professional sport is all about money these days and it's the reason the event has found it's way to Qatar but for me these organisations have to show some semblnce of humanity.

The mad thing about it is that if the right person pulled out it would raise their profile massively worldwide in a very good way I think.

No way Cav is withdrawing, unless he has a serious change of heart. He was all gung-ho about his chances in a recent interview. Nibali will surely be there, given his new team, but I doubt we'll be seeing Froome, Quintana or Contador in Qatar.

Advertisement