Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended a solicitor please.

• 08-09-2016 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭

Hi I am looking for opinions on who would be the best family law solicitor in the bray/dun laoghaire areas.

I know boards isn't the place for legal advice just curious if anyone has a recommendation or even a warning about who isn't good.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Rosemary Gantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You might be better looking for recommendations for a good judge and then work backwards from there. My experience is that family law seems to depend more on the judge than the solicitor.

If you read chapter 14 of http://repository.wit.ie/2825/1/thesis_ROS_WITLIB_201405final.pdf you will see just how much influence judicial 'style' can have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

You might be better looking for recommendations for a good judge and then work backwards from there. My experience is that family law seems to depend more on the judge than the solicitor.

If you read chapter 14 of http://repository.wit.ie/2825/1/thesis_ROS_WITLIB_201405final.pdf you will see just how much influence judicial 'style' can have.

Not much chance of selecting your own judge, nor should there be.

Cerco wrote: »
    Not much chance of selecting your own judge, nor should there be.
    There are ways of tilting the odds in favour of an application ending up before a particular judge whose views might favour your application. If your barrister and solicitor are on good terms with the same judge it can ease your case through the system and tilt the scales of 'justice' in your favour.

There are loopholes to be exploited in any system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭danois

Thanks for the replys

• Advertisement

My advice would be to try and agree as much as possible either through mediation or collaborative law and bring this agreement to court for approval to be made a court order. The outcome is more certain this way and is more likely to be something both parties can feel they have had an input into rather depend than the whim of a judge who may order something that suits nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭danois

My advice would be to try and agree as much as possible either through mediation or collaborative law and bring this agreement to court for approval to be made a court order. The outcome is more certain this way and is more likely to be something both parties can feel they have had an input into rather depend than the whim of a judge who may order something that suits nobody.

As long as he pays his half of what bills we had when he left and makes a proper effort to see the kids I will be happy. The sceptic in me can't see that happening and I'd say mediation would be impossible but I will wait and see.

Thanks again for the replys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There are ways of tilting the odds in favour of an application ending up before a particular judge whose views might favour your application. If your barrister and solicitor are on good terms with the same judge it can ease your case through the system and tilt the scales of 'justice' in your favour.

There are loopholes to be exploited in any system.
    Doubtful that this can happen really

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are you on facebook.

You will get good information and support from this group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SolidarityforallOPF/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Doubtful that this can happen really
    It can, anything from which court district or circuit the application is made in, to more subtle ways of stacking the odds in one litigants favour. The applicant has the choice.

If you look at intellectual property rights cases fought by multinationals the applicant chooses very carefully where the claim is litigated.

Some judges have a reputation for having certain (often inflexible) viewpoints and being lenient or hard on particular matters irrespective of the particular circumstances or complexities of a individual case.

Solicitors and barristers know judges form. Avoiding making an application to a court where there is a judge whose strong views on a matter would adversely affect a litigant's case is the most straightforward way of improving an applicant's chances.

Apart from choosing where to make an application there are other less deterministic ways to play the system to improve the chances of getting a case before a judge whose views would be helpful to a particular case or avoiding one less helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement