Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Mavic wheels repaired?

Options
  • 08-09-2016 1:35pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I've got some Mavic Cosmic SLs second hand knowing that a spoke (or three as it now turns out) need to be replaced. As I'm not 100 % on the year, I don't know which ones to buy.

The guy who would normally fix stuff for me said wouldn't have any of the correct spokes at the moment.

Can anyone recommend me a shop for doing such a job, who could identify precisely what spokes are needed and get them and replace them.

I left another wheel in a shop 4 weeks ago to have a spoke replaced, and they still have it so won't be going there, but either City Centre or Santry, Finglas, Blanchardstown areas would probably be okay.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Not in your area but, Cycle Superstore have replaced spokes for me before on Mavic wheels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can always get a Luas out to them from work so and grab a coffee to to boot. I'll keep them in mind as I would like to see the store once and for all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a wheel rebuilt in humphries in finglas recently - he wasn't sure if he'd have the spokes in stock, but was able to do it.

i had a wheel rebuilt in humphries in finglas recently - he wasn't sure if he'd have the spokes in stock, but was able to do it.

Ah I think I've heard good things about them too regarding wheels. That might be my first stop so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

2wheel in South William St have looked after me fabulously after my crash last week.

• Advertisement

2wheel in South William St have looked after me fabulously after my crash last week.

Cheers again. I'll give them a call too as I can stroll over from work

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Bike Rack in Cabinteely is great and have looked after Mavic wheels for me in the past. Watch out though - whoever supplies Mavic parts to Ireland, i.e. spokes, is useless and most bike shops will tell you this. I ended up having to get my Crossmax spokes from the UK and got Bike Rack to install and true wheel.

steamsey wrote: »
    Bike Rack in Cabinteely is great and have looked after Mavic wheels for me in the past. Watch out though - whoever supplies Mavic parts to Ireland, i.e. spokes, is useless and most bike shops will tell you this. I ended up having to get my Crossmax spokes from the UK and got Bike Rack to install and true wheel.

Actually I was told that last week in the shop which has my other wheel. Only one distributor for Mavic and they charge extortionate prices for spokes, rims and hubs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's unique about mavic spokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Weepsie wrote: »
    Actually I was told that last week in the shop which has my other wheel. Only one distributor for Mavic and they charge extortionate prices for spokes, rims and hubs.

complete bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I got my spokes from http://www.jejamescycles.com/

He didn't have my ones listed so I emailed him and he quickly put them up so I could order them

If I needed more spokes, first I'd probably take 10 mins to ring around a few bikes shops and see if they can help

There is nothing at all special about Mavic spokes other than the fact that they are Mavic spokes.

what's unique about mavic spokes?

They do have some fairly unique rim 2 rim spokes but that's only on certain models. It was just what I was told, and that there are on bike24 about 5 different option for Mavic Cosmic SL spokes depending on year.
    complete bull

Care to elaborate? I don't have huge faith in this shop by the way. 4 weeks for a spoke replacement is nonsense, I just happened to be away for a bit of it and actually forgot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Cheers again. I'll give them a call too as I can stroll over from work

I'd second that. I have a lot of time for their wheel building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

They do have some fairly unique rim 2 rim spokes but that's only on certain models. It was just what I was told, and that there are on bike24 about 5 different option for Mavic Cosmic SL spokes depending on year.

Care to elaborate? I don't have huge faith in this shop by the way. 4 weeks for a spoke replacement is nonsense, I just happened to be away for a bit of it and actually forgot about it.

pm me the name of the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Did you try Justin in Cyclezone blanch. He's a great man.

meercat wrote: »
    Did you try Justin in Cyclezone blanch. He's a great man.

Cheers. Over that direction during the week so will drop in. From the area but not living there these days

And to Eircom_sucks. I'll be giving the shop a chance to explain itself before I'd consider naming and shaming it.

justin's a sound chap, from the interaction we've had with him (we bought my wife's bike there, and found out he was the person who originally built my bike in i think 2001).

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Circle Cycles
    Facebook him he knows everything about wheels.
    He'll meet you anywhere it convenient to collect the wheels

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Plus one for Humpheries in Finglas
    Great rep for wheels and sound too
    Used to call them Jimmy the Hump back in the day ;)
    Derek there now who is a very good cyclist too, lovely range of bikes and stuff there as well.

Might be a bit far but Richies in swords has rebuilt mavic wheels for me and done it very well. Class shop and dudes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Derek Humphries - 8342170

• Advertisement

I ended up going to Humphries. He knew exactly the type of wheel it was as I was wrong by a couple of years. Going to give it a full service and have it ready within 2 days.

Absolutely gorgeous bikes in there too. It will be my new LBS

Yep, I only found them about six months ago (living in the area nearly four years now) and have switched my allegiances to them. Really tempted to get a bike put together based around one of the steel frames they have, if they have my size.

Picked up wheel and dropped in tourer for a BB change. Both done by close of business today. Very impressed. I've left them another wheel which was in another shop for 5 weeks untouched. I mentioned they'd been recommended, but as I only know ye by the online names, although I've met RobFowl, I couldn't give much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Jumping in, is there anyone in Cork that's recommended for Mavic?

Advertisement