Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying 2nd hand bike from biking.ie

Options
  • 08-09-2016 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering what peoples opinions would be about buying a used MTB from the lads in biking.ie.?

I know they maintain their bikes very well so mechanically they should be in good nick. Just the thoughts of various bikers of different shapes/sizes and skillsets thrashing them gives me a bit of pause for thought.

ta,
    Phil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I would be happy to - damage on a bike is easy enough to see (unlike stuff lurking within a car), so give it a good inspection on the chainstay/BB area, seatpost/top tube interface and the toptube & downtube. Check the wheels are true and that the spokes are taut. Then that the brakes and gears work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The head honcho of Biking.ie, Niall Davis, is a gentleman. I've known him since his racing days.
    You can depend on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I agree with the above - Niall is a gentleman and runs a really professional operation. The fact that the bikes are aluminium rather than carbon also helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Where do they sell the used bikes - can't see anything on the website?

Give them a ring.
    phone no. is on website.

http://www.biking.ie/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

you just send them an email. i've enquired a couple of times previously but never bit the bullet.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Give them a ring.
    phone no. is on website.

http://www.biking.ie/index.php
    Great stuff - thanks.

Great stuff - thanks.

I'd say this would be a good time to buy from them. They'll be getting in their 2017 stock around this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

WA - you and mountain biking? Where do you find trails long enough?

(I want to see that happening!!)

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'd say this would be a good time to buy from them. They'll be getting in their 2017 stock around this time.

i'm thinking of picking up something second hand myself, time to swap out the old single speed commuter for an MTB me thinks. don't have space to hold onto the single speed for a runaround :'( might well end up giving them a shout if i finally decide to go ahead this time.

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    WA - you and mountain biking? Where do you find trails long enough?

(I want to see that happening!!)
    Just an idea I'm toying with at the moment. I wouldn't have any interest in serious MTBing but often when I pass those forest trails in Wicklow, I think I'd like to do a bit of exploring. Perhaps its only a passing notion - my wife will probably think so!

... don't have space to hold onto the single speed for a runaround...
    Space is an issue for me too. I have 4 road bikes at the moment nevermind trying to fit a bulky MTB into a tiny shed also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

you just send them an email. i've enquired a couple of times previously but never bit the bullet.

I bought years ago from Ballyhoura rental crowd, decent to deal with.

MTB are maintenance heavy given conditions they are used. I'd look for
    *fork serviced and ensure no pitting
    * headset bearings serviced
    * check wheel bearings
    * new chain (rental bike get dogged especially drive train )
    * get spare headset bearings and get specs of brake pads

He may include some/ most of that but I'd do deal for all the above either way.

Ride bike before you buy also to ensure you like fit

Space is an issue for me too. I have 4 road bikes at the moment nevermind trying to fit a bulky MTB into a tiny shed also.

the only way this would pass approval at home if it's 1 in 1 out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Where do they sell the used bikes - can't see anything on the website?

Ballinastoe/ Roundwood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Just an idea I'm toying with at the moment. I wouldn't have any interest in serious MTBing but often when I pass those forest trails in Wicklow, I think I'd like to do a bit of exploring. Perhaps its only a passing notion - my wife will probably think so!

Get a 29er hardtail and you can have the best of both worlds! I regularly do 70-80kms spins from home (Shankill). Up over the Leadmines, out through Enniskerry to Djouce or Ballinastoe and back - nice change from the roadbike!

Advertisement