Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirBnB Megathread - ALL A&P related Airbnb discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭pasquale83

You've asked this question several times in the forum. You need to speak to a tax professional.

Edit: and one of the last times you asked Revenue they told you you couldn't claim rent a room and do AirBnB at the same time. Asking us or Revenue multiple times isn't going to get you out of your tax obligations.

well, this time is different. I have asked Revenue and got an official answer from them. I am just asking a comment on this.

Here the news is that Revenue officially tells me that I can rent rooms using a mixed taxation regime (while previously denied) and it is now in writing. Can be something useful for other people as well, that's why I am reporting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

pasquale83 wrote: »
    well, this time is different. I have asked Revenue and got an official answer from them. I am just asking a comment on this.

Here the news is that Revenue officially tells me that I can rent rooms using a mixed taxation regime (while previously denied) and it is now in writing. Can be something useful for other people as well, that's why I am reporting it!

But why is this answer more valid than the other? You've been asking this for at least a year and ignoring the advice so far, until you got some that sounded like what you wanted.

Go ahead and do both but know that you could get done on tax and interest for the rent a room if it doesn't qualify. Again I will advise a tax professional and not rely on an opinion from Revenue (which they reserve the right to change their mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Has anyone ever heard of renting an apartment out long term through AirBnB? I found a gorgeous place in Drumcondra, seems the Italian landlord bought it while working here then moved back.

The process appears to be pay month + deposit to an AirBnB account, then you get to view it and if you don't like it you get refunded. I know there'll be less tenancy rights than through the PRTB, but the apartment is so nice and decent value that I might just go through with it. I am however wary that this could be a bit dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Has anyone ever heard of renting an apartment out long term through AirBnB? I found a gorgeous place in Drumcondra, seems the Italian landlord bought it while working here then moved back.

The process appears to be pay month + deposit to an AirBnB account, then you get to view it and if you don't like it you get refunded. I know there'll be less tenancy rights than through the PRTB, but the apartment is so nice and decent value that I might just go through with it. I am however wary that this could be a bit dodgy?

Maybe I'm cynical, but that just screams "scam" to me :eek:

Pay two months and only then get to view it??? Have you seen it yet? Care to share the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Definitely a scam. Generally it's done via trip advisor.

You'll get sent a link to pay and it will look like airbnb, but it won't be.

Don't hand over any sums to view.

Let me guess it is very good value given how nice it is for the area?

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Maybe I'm cynical, but that just screams "scam" to me :eek:

Pay two months and only then get to view it??? Have you seen it yet? Care to share the ad?

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm being blinded by how nice it is here

I can't show the whole ad (not on Daft really) but here's the process:
    Then I will contact Airbnb company and they will start the process right away , Next you will receive a notification message from them containing all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and meet with the agent who will be assigned to this transaction. In order to view the apartment an Airbnb agent will call you to establish a meeting place. You will have an agent assigned once they receive the payment for the first month of rent and the refundable deposit.
    Regarding the Payment it has to be completed before they assigned an agent for the viewing, the payment will be made directly to Airbnb account( first month and the deposit ) they will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent the place or not.I don't have any access to the money until you view the apartment and sign the contract. The payment has to be completed in 24 hours from the moment you receive the invoice. The payment is a simple formality and by paying you are not obliged to rent the apartment ,you are just respecting the policy of a abroad Airbnb company.
    You will be given a 2 days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract that you will only sign after you check the apartment for 2 days. During this period you can take a decision.If you will not be satisfied with the apartment the total amount will be refunded to you that same day.(no extra fees, they are already paid by me) If you like the apartment then you will sign a contract, for the months or years that you want it for.. This is a year to year contract but if you just want it for 9 or 10 months, for example, you will sign it for that exact period.

I think its a scam probably :(
    Definitely a scam. Generally it's done via trip advisor.

You'll get sent a link to pay and it will look like airbnb, but it won't be.

Don't hand over any sums to view.

Let me guess it is very good value given how nice it is for the area?
    Yeah it's 1100 beside Croker, one bed. Just seems wrong, I think I'll steer well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm being blinded by how nice it is here

I can't show the whole ad (not on Daft really) but here's the process:

I think its a scam probably :(

Yeah it's 1100 beside Croker, one bed. Just seems wrong, I think I'll steer well clear.

Run a mile.

Hmmm, not THAT good value!

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/48m6rm/renting_through_airbnb_looks_like_a_scam/

Just found this and the text is near word for word :pac:

Thanks lads I'll keep looking for actual ones....I was in dreamland territory there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

https://www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/48m6rm/renting_through_airbnb_looks_like_a_scam/

Just found this and the text is near word for word :pac:

Thanks lads I'll keep looking for actual ones....I was in dreamland territory there.

It's easy to get sucked in when the rental situation is so hopeless! I emailed a few of those blatant scam ads from a dummy email a few years back out of curiosity to see what they would say and it's always the same. Worked here, had to move country for work, blah de blah.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    It's easy to get sucked in when the rental situation is so hopeless! I emailed a few of those blatant scam ads from a dummy email a few years back out of curiosity to see what they would say and it's always the same. Worked here, had to move country for work, blah de blah.

And one of the points made in that reddit thread is so true, AirBnB is being used as a front of respectability. They'd never even see that money, never mind handle it! I always report these ads when I see them on Daft. They are infuriating and in such a desperate rental market, they'll likely get a few bites. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I recently rented an apartment for 5 days per week while its for sale. I was a bit worried about getting caught up with the RTB so i asked my agent to look into it.
    He came up with a solution where he has it on airbnb, the guy renting goes on to airbnb and books his days month to month. He can't book the weekends. No-one else can book it but him. I guess the agent filters it somehow.
    No deposit, can go after him through airbnb if it comes to it, but he does have to cover airbnb cut, and a small cleaning fee. I'm happy with it that way now. Money is paid on time and i don't have to worry about bank accounts etc. Others can book the weekends and pay their cleaning fee. Etc Agent looks after the whole lot.
    If it sells then we just stop airbnb and it's sorted. If it doesn't it keeps going like this. Tenant can stop taking it whenever he wants too.

So airbnb can work for landlords if they can make it fit and find a tenant who it suits too.
    I think this might become more common. I know my agent has been researching this for a while and has a few clients doing it this way.

If airbnb becomes a problem, can switch to some other owner letting service. Really they are only needed for the transactions. I already have the main tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Not necessarily a scam. I have an apartment on airbnb that I am looking to rent for medium term for the rest of the year and I am going to do that through airbnb. I have been using airbnb for a year and the process is so much cleaner , for me as a landlord it's a far better process and gives me better protection.

I still get the deposit and rent set and also to be honest don't have to deal with the PRTB which for the majority of landlords is just a nightmare to deal with when you get a bad tenant and the laws are biast against you IMO.

I actually think medium/long term renting will become more prevelent on airbnb, it's done in a lot of other countries and some airbnb sites have a seperate sublet section.

In saying that , when I do advertise it via daft or what not anyone who is interested can view my listing on airbnb and see that I have 50+ reviews so will know the add is legitimate and not a scam. I'll also be taking viewings in the same way I would with a normal rental , the only difference is payments and bookings will come via airbnb.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Not necessarily a scam. I have an apartment on airbnb that I am looking to rent for medium term for the rest of the year and I am going to do that through airbnb. I have been using airbnb for a year and the process is so much cleaner , for me as a landlord it's a far better process and gives me better protection.

I still get the deposit and rent set and also to be honest don't have to deal with the PRTB which for the majority of landlords is just a nightmare to deal with when you get a bad tenant and the laws are biast against you IMO.

This would still fall under the RTB though, wouldn't it? I doubt it's that easy to circumvent legal landlord obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Unless the letting is for the purpose of a holiday you are caught under the RTB. The fines are now progressive so thinking you can avoid your legal obligations doing this could be a very big mistake.

Unless the letting is for the purpose of a holiday you are caught under the RTB. The fines are now progressive so thinking you can avoid your legal obligations doing this could be a very big mistake.

That was my thoughts too. Now, I'm not the most well-versed in legalese so this was just supposition on my part but I was thinking "If this is all a landlord has to do to get out of their obligations, won't all landlords start going this route?".

I think people are missing the part where he said short term.
    Of course you can use airbnb, or other services.
    I'm still laughing at post where someone said it has to be a holiday.to let.through airbnb.
    I've let to a guy working in Dublin. I doubt he thinks it's a holiday when he is at work. And it's not just holidays people use the likes of airbnb for.

That was my thoughts too. Now, I'm not the most well-versed in legalese so this was just supposition on my part but I was thinking "If this is all a landlord has to do to get out of their obligations, won't all landlords start going this route?".

I should think a huge number of them will go this route. Depends how troublesome they find the RTB rules.

76544567 wrote: »
    Of course you can use airbnb, or other services.
    I'm still laughing at post where someone said it has to be a holiday.to let.through airbnb.
    I've let to a guy working in Dublin. I doubt he thinks it's a holiday when he is at work.
    Laugh all you like until there is a row and he starts an RTB dispute. A holiday letting is specifically mentioned in the RTB legislation. There is no minimum letting period if it is not a holiday. The only way of avoiding the RTB is if it is a license to occupy such as a hotel guest has.
    That has to be determined on the facts. It is not just as simple as let it therough AirBnB

He didn't:
    I have an apartment on airbnb that I am looking to rent for medium term for the rest of the year
    I actually think medium/long term renting will become more prevelent on airbnb, it's done in a lot of other countries and some airbnb sites have a seperate sublet section.

I should think a huge number of them will go this route. Depends how troublesome they find the RTB rules.

Well, they're not "troublesome", they're the law. As Claw Hammer said, when there is a dispute is when the law will kick in. And there will be a dispute of this nature at some stage, the law will be tested.

While a 7 days let might be a bit of a grey area I think it would work very well with a long term 5 day let where the place is available to others at weekends and during holidays periods etc.

There is no way someone could claim any tenancy rights when other people rent the place at weekends.

Also once a 7 day let does not go beyond 6 months then that's fine too and as its airbnb the person can just be thrown out very easily.

• Advertisement

He didn't:

Well, they're not "troublesome", they're the law. As Claw Hammer said, when there is a dispute is when the law will kick in. And there will be a dispute of this nature at some stage, the law will be tested.

Short term / medium term. Im sure he meant the same thing.
    There is no law or RTB if you are not under their remit. I'm positive I'm not. But if they do ever chase me I'll come back and post. Til then it's just finger wagging, which doesn't really scare me tbh.

No finger-wagging here, do what you like. It may just come back to bite you. People think they come up with exceedingly clever evasive schemes all the time, sometimes they really are clever, and sometimes they are just intelligence-insulting. No skin off my nose what anyone here decides to do! ;)

No finger-wagging here, do what you like. It may just come back to bite you. People think they come up with exceedingly clever evasive schemes all the time, sometimes they really are clever, and sometimes they are just intelligence-insulting. No skin off my nose what anyone here decides to do! ;)

But you'll continue wagging the finger all the same :)

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

No the guys are correct , you are governed by the same laws via the RTB even on Airbnb the section just states that local laws will govern, so if I had someone book for over 6 month's and they refused to leave I would still have to register with the RTB at that point and start a resolution process.

I work off 3 month lettings, the majority of booking are taken by people who are having short term stays in Dublin , business travelers who are coming to work for their company for a set period of time or by tenants in Dublin who use the 3 month's to sort out long term accomadation while renting my place. It works for me and I don't come into the 6 month period so I have a window there to see if someone would become an issue and can take action early.

To be honest , I'd be extremely worried about letting to anyone on a year long lease, having to deal with missed rent , non payments , picking up their utility costs over the resolution process and never being paid back. The fact that they are on my property as well would make it twice as bad so it'd be airbnb or a man cave for me.

One thing, if utilities are in their name, you are not liable for what they owe. If they don't pay their bills, they are liable. And you'd have to agree to the utilities being reverted back to you so they couldn't just put them back in your name.

Your approach is fine but if everyone went that route, there wouldn't be enough business to go around. Some owners have to take the plunge and look at long-term rentals.

While a 7 days let might be a bit of a grey area I think it would work very well with a long term 5 day let where the place is available to others at weekends and during holidays periods etc.

There is no way someone could claim any tenancy rights when other people rent the place at weekends.

Also once a 7 day let does not go beyond 6 months then that's fine too and as its airbnb the person can just be thrown out very easily.

All very well in theory. What is the reality of the landlord turning up every Friday night with cleaners? What if the "guest" leaves some of his belongings there at the weekend? The RTB will look at the reality of the situation. If the "guest" says he leaves belongings in the dwelling permanently, and that when he returns on Mondays there is never any evidence that anyone has in fact stayed in the dwelling, the spell RTB is quite likely to hold that this is in fact a tenancy, dressed up as a series of short licence periods.

All very well in theory. What is the reality of the landlord turning up every Friday night with cleaners? What if the "guest" leaves some of his belongings there at the weekend? The RTB will look at the reality of the situation. If the "guest" says he leaves belongings in the dwelling permanently, and that when he returns on Mondays there is never any evidence that anyone has in fact stayed in the dwelling, the spell RTB is quite likely to hold that this is in fact a tenancy, dressed up as a series of short licence periods.

Well that's a likely situation from start to finish now isn't :)

Listen to yourself.

Come back.when it happens with an example.

If a case was ever taken, this is exactly how closely it would be looked at. It seems far-fetched maybe but if you've ever read case law, you'll see that it isn't really.

If a case was ever taken, this is exactly how closely it would be looked at. It seems far-fetched maybe but if you've ever read case law, you'll see that it isn't really.

Actually I studied law in college. Wasn't my major, but was a years worth of it. I read plenty.

But that's neither here nor there. I'm not a solicitor. And I'm.not expecting anybody to take.my word for.anything.

Lets for a minute indulge his fantasy scenario.
    How many opportunities are there for his little scenario to break down over the time it takes to become what he thinks.

The chances of winning the lottery are better.

First off there would have to be zero takers on airbnb at the weekends, even one night during his time period. In the unlikely event of that happening you get a mate to book it for a night in airbnb. If that's not enough he can even post photos of his night of bedauchery on Facebook.

And still you have to get a guy who.is booking or airbnb 5 nights every week, to be the kind of idiot to go and make up a story that he books 5 nights but really sneaks back to use the place on the nights he hasn't booked. And then you need an idiot in the RTB who.woukd believe that story.

And on and on. Let's just say we can be pretty sure that fantasy situation the poster describes won't come about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Listen to yourself.

Come back.when it happens with an example.

Mod note

Please leave the moderation to the mods thanks.

Posters are reminded that civil, constructive post are required by the forum charter and boards rules. Thanks

Advertisement