Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best monitoring link option?

Options
  • 08-09-2016 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've searched here and read a lot of posts here about landline vs GSM link to the monitoring station and am none the wiser (some posts on the topic are from a few years ago).

If you lived out in the sticks and had a reasonably accessible overground phone line what would be the most secure and reliable way of linking to a monitoring service? Our phone line has been out of service twice this year so far for over a week in both cases.

I've had one suggestion of combined land line and GSM communication. The suggestion included a recommendation of the HKC World SIM as that would use any available network but my understanding of decent jammers is that they'll disable them all simultaneously. I guess that'd have the advantage of physical proof to the insurance company in the event of a robbery in the sense that the landline would have been disabled.

Then there's Mesh which is doesn't seem to have many downsides apart from the added expense of a SIM for app access to the alarm.

Is it true that polling is not possible on landlines so that if the line is down for any reason, the monitoring station have no way of knowing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Hi,

I've searched here and read a lot of posts here about landline vs GSM link to the monitoring station and am none the wiser (some posts on the topic are from a few years ago).

If you lived out in the sticks and had a reasonably accessible overground phone line what would be the most secure and reliable way of linking to a monitoring service? Our phone line has been out of service twice this year so far for over a week in both cases.

I've had one suggestion of combined land line and GSM communication. The suggestion included a recommendation of the HKC World SIM as that would use any available network but my understanding of decent jammers is that they'll disable them all simultaneously. I guess that'd have the advantage of physical proof to the insurance company in the event of a robbery in the sense that the landline would have been disabled.

Then there's Mesh which is doesn't seem to have many downsides apart from the added expense of a SIM for app access to the alarm.

Is it true that polling is not possible on landlines so that if the line is down for any reason, the monitoring station have no way of knowing?

If you are worried about cables being cut or sims being jammed then ask your alarm installer about an old fashioned radio link to your monitoring station .

Advertisement