Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - 200m2 for 300K - NorthDublin?

Options
  • 08-09-2016 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm new to construction and I've just met with an Architect. I'm planning on building in North Dublin.
    I thought I might get a 200m2 house for 300K but the architect reckons 2000 euro per m2...which would make that a 400K build...jesus
    I thought this might be on the high side :eek:

I'm not looking for anything complicated at all, 2 story box and simple roof if needed.

Anyway, the plan is for a ICF house, best airtightness achievable with a HRV system.

I think the 2000 per meter is an all in price?? I already have the land in my name and that's not part of the build price.

and 6% for the architect, Is that about right for a build these days?

I'm seriously considering SELF BUILD if that's the true cost of things

I know this question might annoy some, as I've probably left out lot's of details, please ask, and I'll try to be as prompt as possible

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Architect is closer to the real world figure than you are I'm afraid.
    For 200k, you could get a 100-120 Sq. M house built at a push self building.

Don't forget you have :

Planning contributions.
    Water connection.
    Gas connection.
    ESB connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭magnethead

Thanks for the reply :) Damn, I was hoping that wasn't the case...

My sister built on the site next to mine, 2 years ago, so I know about the various rackets ;p LOL

I think she said the 'Council contribution' was €110 per meter....
    €2500 for ESB and roughly €2000 for water (we are both on the road, with the services running along the path...not much to connect (site 26m deep))

we have to stick in a septic tank also for about 10K...major kick in the nuts..

so I guess, I am overestimating the actual build money once, everyone has had their pound of flesh....

what about the self build route.....how much would you come down on €2000 per meter?

A guy in work did a 100Meter extension for 100K using ICF but maybe extensions are cheaper per meter(obviously with existing services etc..)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

have to give it to your architect as I am delighted to see some realistic (all in) figures been quoted. I am a strong anti cost per ft2 person as it simply has no accuracy but at least your are been pointed in a more realistic direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭magnethead

For 200k, you could get a 100-120 Sq. M house built at a push self building.

Thanks kceire, I only see now that you were mentioning self build price :)

Yes kkelliher, I vastly underestimated all the side costs, health & safety (2013)...etcccc sure who needs that :rolleyes: joking!

It's not like the old days(100year ago) when you didn't even need foundations, just built on good soil.....plenty of those buildings still standing ...although with a few cracks here and there :D

Advertisement