Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cx 1 x 10 advice please

Options
  • 08-09-2016 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Recently picked up a 4th hand cx bike that needs a bit of a refurb. Thinking of going from the current 2 x 9 to 1 x 10 setup. Looking for recommendations in relation to chain ri g and cassette ratio.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

I ran a 39 up front with 11-28 out back. I had to lock out the 11-12-13 of the cassette due to chain rub on my chain guards.

So 39x14 was my biggest gear and honestly that was more than enough. Anyway if you fall on the drive side and mud gets into your cassette, I find that the 11 and 12 just skip and slip. I would have liked to have the 13 though!

I found 39x28 loads out back but I'd say some people could struggle with this.

I think a 36 up front with 11-28 would be perfect for pretty much everyone but as I mentioned if mud gets into the cassette you may find some gears slipping at the low end of the cassette and you mightn't be able to get a big enough gear.

If I was to re-do my build I'd go with sram levers so I could use a clutched mech.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I'm running 38 11/28 1*11 with a superstar components narrow wide chain ring and 105. No clutch and no problems dropping chain. I find it a nice spread. I would go 28 on the back anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

First mini cx "race/practice session" this evening. Found that I didn't go near the 44 on the front and only found out when I got there that due to a problem with the rear mech/cassette I couldn't get out of the 23(?) At the back...good Craic though.

Also somehow managed to snap both brake cables too.....go figure

with the bike station and Mr T?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Yup. Good night's Craic. Pop along if your free next week lennymc. Karl trying to get a winter league up and running. Great coarse, seems to have all aspects of cross covered.

• Advertisement

I'd love to but unfortunately cant do Thursdays :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I used to run 38 x 11-27 and it was enough for most races. I could easily go 45kph+ on straight tarmac sections on 38x11 and climb most hills on 38x27.

There were a few though (including Rathfarnham Fixx) that I couldn't so I've switched to 38 x 11-32 this year. Lets see where it takes me, but I have feeling that 11-30 would be enough.

But this is fine-tuned to me, your experience may vary (depending if you're spinner, masher, strong in the legs or lungs etc...)

Advertisement