Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a relative to a mortgage.

• 08-09-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi.

A little background. We moved in with my father a few years back. He had remortgaged and was struggling to meet repayments. We have taken over making the payments for the last few years and the bank are aware of this.

My husband would love to buy the house buy with my bad credit there's not a hope in hell we would get a mortgage together.

Is it possible for my husband to be added to my fathers mortgage. Would banks consider this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

If your husband does not own the house then I don't think the bank can add him to the mortgage because he is not on the deeds.

Could you father sell the house to your husband in your husbands name only?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Streifi

Im guessing you are looking to add him to the deeds and the mortgage? Adding him to the mortgage makes him liable to pay but doesn't give him any ownership in the house.
    The accomodation and property forum might be helpful to you but without any in depth knowledge I think it's rather uncommon and unlikely that you'll be able to do it... sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Spoke to the bank and we can do a transfer of equity.

Advertisement