Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clover Lawn

Options
  • 08-09-2016 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have about half acre of "lawn" i.e. field grass, that I mow short - regularly interspersed with dandelions, buttercup, thistles and docs if I allow to grow. I have been thinking about converting to a clover lawn - from what I understand it:
    • requires less mowing
    • is better for bees etc
    • easier to maintain

Wondering if anyone here has tried to do this, and what the experience is / was like, and if possible help with some answers to:
    • What type of clover did you use?
    • Did you completely start from a brown field lawn, or did you sow over existing grass?
    • Is there a particulr time of year that is best to do this?

Would appreciate any feedback.

thanks,

SH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

Great idea sparrowhawk - I intend to do the same. I did a freshly dug raised ditch with them and they are dense now.
    I seeded the ditches which are planted with fruit bushes as if you don't plant the gaps nature will choose plants for you!
    I raked in an ordered pre-mix of 4 different species of clover last April but they were slow to germinate - the sunny and dry May did not help. You can seed now no problem as this is the time of year when seeds are naturally released. From what I can see you can seed with clover all year round.
    There are some other colonisers in the raised ditch: dock, thistle, chickweed mostly- i removed the tap root plants and left the rest - you need to keep putting a lot of energy in maintain artificial monoculture. The clump of clover is now smothering any new arrivals. I have great plans for a flat area. Bees are loving it too :)

There are loads of pics on pinterest re clover gardens - mostly US but would be no different here.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Thanks for the info taxusbaccata! By the sounds of things I need to start of with bare earth - hmmmm - that's alot of work for 0.5 acre. I might do it in patches, as time allows. Will need to have a think about it...

Let me know how your own plans progress.

Thanks for the info taxusbaccata! By the sounds of things I need to start of with bare earth - hmmmm - that's alot of work for 0.5 acre. I might do it in patches, as time allows. Will need to have a think about it...

Let me know how your own plans progress.

SparrowHawk I'm going to get a contractor to plow the site as it is quite compacted and the fine clay needs to be mixed. Very much frowned upon due to fungal mycelium adn bacterial damage but a once off needs to be done for the long term recovery of the site. This will make it bare for clover seed but possibly lots of other seeds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Great minds think alike ...... Had this notion too ere last year but left it for a while, seems hard to find 100% clover seed. Most co- op etc say they only sell ryegrass- clover mixes.
    Do you guys have a source in Ireland.
    I thought too to add a couple of ounces mint seed to the clover mix when under sowing.
    The smell of mint on a newly mown lawn is great.
    TIA lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

Seeddirect.ie sell clover by the kilo. I bought some red from them last year for use as a green manure.

I think a low growing white would be better as a lawn though. Call them and see what they recommend as I found them very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Reseeded a lawn with a grass seed mix (grazing) which had a high % of white clover in it. Once the clover gets going, it grows fast. Serious bulk of crop on it, will need as much mowing as grass, or it will lie down and rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

I'd be very wary of sowing mint other than in a pot. I've heard several times that it can get out of control pretty easily. Chamomile might be a better option if you are looking for pleasant scents to make mowing more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

mr chips wrote: »
    I'd be very wary of sowing mint other than in a pot. I've heard several times that it can get out of control pretty easily. Chamomile might be a better option if you are looking for pleasant scents to make mowing more enjoyable.

Thx, seems I heard it's a spreader alright.

Could always let the Spring lambs graze it, .... lamb roast or chops infused with natural mint flavour!
    I must take this idea to An Bord Bia quick......
    :)

Advertisement