Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guards recruitment September 2016

• 08-09-2016 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I understood that approximately 20,000 applied for the drive which only commenced this January. That being the case how can pas have possibly gone through all application received to the extent that a new drive is required. The numbers don't add up. Without having started this new drive they had sufficient numbers in terms of applications to keep them occupied well into the second half of 2017. Bearing this in mind what's happened all the applications .?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Copaholic wrote: »
    I understood that approximately 20,000 applied for the drive which only commenced this January. That being the case how can pas have possibly gone through all application received to the extent that a new drive is required. The numbers don't add up. Without having started this new drive they had sufficient numbers in terms of applications to keep them occupied well into the second half of 2017. Bearing this in mind what's happened all the applications .?

Approximately 16000 people applied the last time.
    That number becomes a lot smaller after the first few stage from people failing or simply not doing the tests. As far as I can see it's only the higher achievers in stage 1 who were brought through to stage 2 but I may be incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

Thanks for that reply. That may well be the case. The funny thing is that this new competition is going back out to receive applications which are mostly made up of those who fell out of previous drives. The process is going around in circles like a dog chasing its tail. It certainly is keeping PAS busy in a job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Just read it there lads. According to rte it will take 800 and the rest will be made up of the previous recruitment drive. Seems they wanna drag headlines more than anything else..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jay days

Hi, just wondering if anyine has done any of the aptitude test preparation courses??? Im looking at career services and testpreparations.ie? Both similar in price so just wondering which one is better or are they much the same?? Need all the help I can get!😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

jay days wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyine has done any of the aptitude test preparation courses??? Im looking at career services and testpreparations.ie? Both similar in price so just wondering which one is better or are they much the same?? Need all the help I can get!😊

Career services without a shadow of a doubt. In my opinion they are the best out there.

• Advertisement

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Career services without a shadow of a doubt. In my opinion they are the best out there.

Thanks a mill, so you have used them before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

jay days wrote: »
    Thanks a mill, so you have used them before?

Used them for stage 1-3
    Every course was worth the money 100% they break everything down into its simplest form so it's easier to understand. I found their stuff on the interviews to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

This is just supposition on my part, but I think the physical requirements are causing them real problems.

When I went to stage 2 orientation they told us to really focus on the physical requirements because they lost a lot of people due to that in the 2014 drive.

The Independent (the government's mouthpiece of choice) covered the new recruitment drive yesterday with the headline: "3,000 new gardai set to be hired - and here's what the physical test consists of" and followed up a few hours later with "Fighting fit? Garda seeks fitter recruits in the battle against crime". It's a weird angle for journalists to take of their own accord. I'd say the media press release stressed that point.

They're seeking fitter recruits, but the requirements haven't changed. So there have to be still large numbers failing there.

That's my best guess anyway.

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Used them for stage 1-3
    Every course was worth the money 100% they break everything down into its simplest form so it's easier to understand. I found their stuff on the interviews to be very good.

Thanks for that! I will give them a go so!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

misslemon wrote: »
    This is just supposition on my part, but I think the physical requirements are causing them real problems.

When I went to stage 2 orientation they told us to really focus on the physical requirements because they lost a lot of people due to that in the 2014 drive.

The Independent (the government's mouthpiece of choice) covered the new recruitment drive yesterday with the headline: "3,000 new gardai set to be hired - and here's what the physical test consists of" and followed up a few hours later with "Fighting fit? Garda seeks fitter recruits in the battle against crime". It's a weird angle for journalists to take of their own accord. I'd say the media press release stressed that point.

They're seeking fitter recruits, but the requirements haven't changed. So there have to be still large numbers failing there.

That's my best guess anyway.

Perhaps your right but if they want fitter applicants they should just come out and say so and applicants would know without shooting in the dark. The other issue is that having a new drive they are simply going back into what is for the most part the same pool of people that were rejected before

• Advertisement

Perhaps your right but if they want fitter applicants they should just come out and say so and applicants would know without shooting in the dark. The other issue is that having a new drive they are simply going back into what is for the most part the same pool of people that were rejected before

That's true, although it suits me as I failed stage 2 last time round ;)

I think the issue might be that people don't take fitness seriously enough until too soon before the test? Maybe the message is start working on fitness now.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Hi all just quick question regarding education requirements it says a pass in 5 ordinary level subjects in an Irish leaving cert and proven in two language's(leaving cert subjects count ) i done my leaving in 2013 and passed everything including English,irish,French also passed two honour subjects but failed maths im repeating it externally in 2017 would this have an effect on me being accepted if i did get lucky enough to be it doesn't specify maths itself as a requirement just pass in 5 subjects and two languages which i have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Eddyrio5

Hi guys, a question on education if you could help. Ive moved over from England where i took various GCSE i think they are leavers certificates, ive also undertook NVQs and have a bachelors degree. But anyway my question is on language other than my English my Dad was from Ghana so I could understand some things but I also took a GCSE Spanish in school. On the entry requirements it says as in sure tiur all aware. "Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades in an Irish Leaving Certificate" so i suppose what I am wondering is what is the 'relevant grades' is it just a Level 4 NFQ or would level 3 also count?

Eddyrio5 wrote: »
    Hi guys, a question on education if you could help. Ive moved over from England where i took various GCSE i think they are leavers certificates, ive also undertook NVQs and have a bachelors degree. But anyway my question is on language other than my English my Dad was from Ghana so I could understand some things but I also took a GCSE Spanish in school. On the entry requirements it says as in sure tiur all aware. "Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades in an Irish Leaving Certificate" so i suppose what I am wondering is what is the 'relevant grades' is it just a Level 4 NFQ or would level 3 also count?

''Documentation proving Proof of Proficiency in 2 Languages
    Proof of proficiency must be proven by presenting formal documentation on the day of your interview. For most candidates this can be done through the Irish Leaving Certificate. For others, a separate document showing language subjects of equal standing may suffice eg – FETAC level 5 award, GCSE grades A-C, Degree incorporating languages.''

Your best option is to contact the public appointments service and you'll get a direct answer if your qualifications are sufficient

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Eddyrio5

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Eddyrio5 wrote: »
    Hi guys, a question on education if you could help. Ive moved over from England where i took various GCSE i think they are leavers certificates, ive also undertook NVQs and have a bachelors degree. But anyway my question is on language other than my English my Dad was from Ghana so I could understand some things but I also took a GCSE Spanish in school. On the entry
    requirements it says as in sure tiur all aware. "Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades in an Irish Leaving Certificate" so i suppose what I am wondering is what is the 'relevant grades' is it just a Level 4 NFQ or would level 3 also count?

''Documentation proving Proof of Proficiency in 2 Languages
    Proof of proficiency must be proven by presenting formal documentation on the day of your interview. For most candidates this can be done through the Irish Leaving Certificate. For others, a separate document showing language subjects of equal standing may suffice eg FETAC level 5 award, GCSE grades A-C, Degree incorporating languages.''

Your best option is to contact the public appointments service and you'll get a direct answer if your qualifications are sufficient

Thank you, I think I will contact them and see. Im pretty sure my qualifications do suffice its just the languages that may be an issue as I did not get a A-C.
    Bit of a strange one the language criteria for entry I was a police officer in the big multicultural streets of London and I got on just fine, but hey rules and eligibility criteria are there for a reason hey.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crazybatman

it seems like they have changed the process here - they are looking for the interview forms to be submitted from day1 now. am i missing something? previously i think they were only submitted if you got to the interview stage?

thanks

it seems like they have changed the process here - they are looking for the interview forms to be submitted from day1 now. am i missing something? previously i think they were only submitted if you got to the interview stage?

thanks

Yeah it's a variation from last years format. We've come to the conclusion that it's an element of the ''accelerated recruitment''. The stages are scheduled very close together this year, commencing within a month of each other so it's reasonable to think that the time between getting stage 2 results and the interview might only be 2 weeks (but this is only speculation)

I wonder if the possible strike action will affect the "accelerated" part of recruitment. It looks like the GRA are looking for pay restoration beyond rent allowance and unfreezing increments.

If the government don't know what amount they'll give to serving Gardai (who absolutely should be first priority) it may delay the department of justice releasing funds for some of the recruitment stages.

Word of advice. Just downloaded my submitted PDF application form there and was surprised by the number of spelling mistakes I had made due to careless typing. I spent several hours revising the form today, picking apart each word and sentence then resubmitted it. This form may play a pivotal role in your interview so treat it as such. If you're any way in doubt it's no harm to revise your applications tonight just to be certain in case you find yourself pressed for time tomorrow.

Application completed! For a very straightforward form I made an awful complicated mess of the thing. Second-guessed everything except my own name.

• Advertisement

The competition is now closed.
    Best of luck to everyone

The competition is now closed.
    Best of luck to everyone

Same to you ;)

I wonder how the news of strike action plus having to complete the form so early will impact the number of applicants. It took me three minutes to apply the first time - this time it was considerably more time consuming.

Plus last time the media kept running reminders to apply up until the day before. I've seen no reminders at all this time round.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mandymo

Hi guys and girls, just wondering what's the age group of people that applied? I'm 33 turning 34 in December, anyone around the same age?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It's being reported that the final number of applicants for this campaign is 5,000.

23,000 applied in 2013 and 16,700 last January.

It's being reported that the final number of applicants for this campaign is 5,000.

That's crazy! Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭AudiKidd

Maybe people just couldn't be bothered filling in that interview form and just didn't apply altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

That's crazy! Link?

It's on the frontage of tomorrows Irish Examiner. I'd say we will see further coverage tomorrow.
    AudiKidd wrote: »
    Maybe people just couldn't be bothered filling in that interview form and just didn't apply altogether.

I'd say it's a mixture of factors. People who had wanted to apply for years had the chance to do so in January, low pay has been highlighted in the media (many people dropped out from the previous two campaigns when they realised the conditions) and then the more detailed initial application process as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭AudiKidd

They're going to struggle to fill 800 places next year.

I can see another recruitment campaign next summer.

• Advertisement

AudiKidd wrote: »
    They're going to struggle to fill 800 places next year.

I can see another recruitment campaign next summer.

Won't a lot of next year's intake be from the January campaign?

Won't a lot of next year's intake be from the January campaign?

The first intake from this most recent campaign is expected to commence in mid 2017.

The first intake from this most recent campaign is expected to commence in mid 2017.

Why do they need "accelerated recruitment" if January's campaign isn't starting until then?

Why do they need "accelerated recruitment" if January's campaign isn't starting until then?

Sorry I think you've misunderstood me. My fault I phrased it badly.

Last January's campaign will have an intake in November and another one in the new year.

The first Intake from the current campaign which closed in September is expected to enter Templemore mid 2017.

Sorry I read it wrong, head's all over the place today.

Will they really only get 6-9 months out of the 16,700 that applied in January? That's mad. Good for those of us in the current campaign though.

Check your public jobs inbox.
    Assessment questionnaire window for completion is between Friday 7th and 12 noon on Tuesday 11th October 2016.

• Advertisement

And we're off!

The sign off on the email is the "Justice Recruitment Unit". Sounds a little bit like the Justice League :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jimmibar

There is no abstract reasoning ..! One thing I was confident on ..! Any opinions on logical reasoning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jimmibar

There is no abstract reasoning ..! One thing I was confident on ..! Any opinions on logical reasoning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lmarie2016

Has anyone completed the assessment? what was it like? - going to do it tomorrow.

Lmarie2016 wrote: »
    Has anyone completed the assessment? what was it like? - going to do it tomorrow.

Won't be doing it until Saturday afternoon.
    Have you ever participated in a Garda Recruitment Campaign before?

• Advertisement

Jimmibar wrote: »

It sounds similar enough to abstract reasoning (discovering the pattern or rule) so I wouldn't worry about it - it's testing the same thing.

I did it back in 2013 or 2014 and wasn't that great at it and I can't really remember what was on it. Was trying to work it out so I could get a bit of study in.

I did it back in 2013 or 2014 and wasn't that great at it and I can't really remember what was on it. Was trying to work it out so I could get a bit of study in.

I found the job sim questions I was presented with particularly difficult this time in comparison to last year, with several no win scenarios and answers. Think I did relatively well all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Hi guys. Just looking for some advice. I found the questionnaire scenarios quite tricky and dont think I did too good. I've seen other threads where people said they lost out on progression because they were a few points short in Job simulation. Would that be at stage 1 or is there other job simulation later on? Point is I've taken courses for the aptitude tests and feel comfortable enough but I'm wondering even if I do ok in them could I be ruled out because of Job simulation at stage 1? Any info would be great?

Hi guys. Just looking for some advice. I found the questionnaire scenarios quite tricky and dont think I did too good. I've seen other threads where people said they lost out on progression because they were a few points short in Job simulation. Would that be at stage 1 or is there other job simulation later on? Point is I've taken courses for the aptitude tests and feel comfortable enough but I'm wondering even if I do ok in them could I be ruled out because of Job simulation at stage 1? Any info would be great?

Welcome!
    No job sim isn't pass fail at stage one however the score you receive is added to the aptitude test scores to see if you reach the limit of the amount of people being brought forward to stage 2.

Job sim can be failed at stage 2, it requires a minimum passing score of 50% (400 out of 800 marks).

Don't stress it, you've plenty of opportunities to make up your stage 1 score elsewhere and you probably did better than you think tbh.
    Job sim is an awful balls! and it was a lot tougher than last time a lot of us thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Welcome!
    No job sim isn't pass fail at stage one however the score you receive is added to the aptitude test scores to see if you reach the limit of the amount of people being brought forward to stage 2.

Job sim can be failed at stage 2, it requires a minimum passing score of 50% (400 out of 800 marks).

Don't stress it, you've plenty of opportunities to make up your stage 1 score elsewhere and you probably did better than you think tbh.
    Job sim is an awful balls! and it was a lot tougher than last time a lot of us thought

Hi... Fair play and thanks for coming back so quick... That's great news... So if I push hard on the aptitude I have a chance... I thought I read people saying that Job sim knocked them out.. Is there job sim at stage two? And just one more thing.. If I get through at stage one and get a number, Is it a clean slate for stage two again as in are the numbers reset or does it all add up. Hope Im making some sense and thanks again

Hi... Fair play and thanks for coming back so quick... That's great news... So if I push hard on the aptitude I have a chance... I thought I read people saying that Job sim knocked them out.. Is there job sim at stage two? And just one more thing.. If I get through at stage one and get a number, Is it a clean slate for stage two again as in are the numbers reset or does it all add up. Hope Im making some sense and thanks again

Yeah job sim is repeated at stage 2, that's what I failed last year!

Those that complete with the highest scores will be advanced the quickest. After stage 2 you'll be scheduled for an interview, after which you'll receive a fresh OOM (overall order of merrit) Number is my understanding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement