Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guards recruitment September 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

TallGlass wrote: »
    Same here! No advantage to be honest :( Still as blurry as last time!

no? I remembered a good bit now, numbers and names were long gone but I remembered when/where the important info was coming and had a general idea of what went on. as far as I've been told though its really marked as an english test more than anything so if you're info isnt exactly 100% but its still well written you should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 danzeman29

TallGlass wrote: »
    I assume you used a track-pad last time rather than using your keyboard like some sort of coding warrior!

Yeah track pad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Depp wrote: »
    no? I remembered a good bit now, numbers and names were long gone but I remembered when/where the important info was coming and had a general idea of what went on. as far as I've been told though its really marked as an english test more than anything so if you're info isnt exactly 100% but its still well written you should be fine!

I suppose in that sense I had an idea what was going to happen. Hopefully I passed, found the other tests fairly okay. The job simulation task I think gets alot of people. Hope everyone done well!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 WolfWhisper

Good luck to all :) Does anyone have job sim tips? It will be much appreciated if you could pm me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Anyone know how many progress to the interview from the 1000, is it just a matter of passing or is there a cut off again??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Wonder if you exceed your verbal reasoning or abstract scores at the assessment centre can it count as unqualified?

Highly doubt it but just want to confirm. Played a blinder on the verbal reasoning today in comparison to the online test (answered all 42 questions today opposed to 32 online at stage 1)

Absolutely no issue with exceeding your result. This can be as a result of practice, familiarity and making an effort. They are happy to see improvement. But for someone who aced it online to scrape a pass in assessment thats a problem as you know.

Good luck to all :) Does anyone have job sim tips? It will be much appreciated if you could pm me

kindof a hard thing to give tips for as its largely a personality test, you just have to put yourself into the mindset of a garda and pick the options that would look best for a seargant or otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Anyone else suffering from a post assessment centre anticlimax?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 copreed

so who is up next week? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dan 191

Anyone book on the phone for stage 2 and never receive a conformation email with time and date?...I booked it but got nothing ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 copreed

I received mine on Friday . You should call PAS to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Dan 191 wrote: »
    Anyone book on the phone for stage 2 and never receive a conformation email with time and date?...I booked it but got nothing ????

I didn't receive my confirmation email after the 4pm deadline last Thursday so I rang them Friday afternoon and I received the confirmation email around 5pm. Definitely worth a phone call:)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

copreed wrote: »
    so who is up next week? :)

I'm doing it Thursday. Feeling ok about it this time as it is my second time but still nevertheless a bit worried but I put in the work so hopefully I'll see the return. What is meant for us won't pass us and if it's meant to be it's meant to be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Butterfly2323

Guys I know it's so early but I'm starting to train for the physical test, now I don't think I'll have any issues with the bleep test or obstacle course or push pull machine but I'm not sure if I'm getting my sit ups right, does it have to be a basic knees up sit up or can it be a sit up with legs in butterfly position? Same thing but less strain on lower back with the butterfly! Any help would be great ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Guys I know it's so early but I'm starting to train for the physical test, now I don't think I'll have any issues with the bleep test or obstacle course or push pull machine but I'm not sure if I'm getting my sit ups right, does it have to be a basic knees up sit up or can it be a sit up with legs in butterfly position? Same thing but less strain on lower back with the butterfly! Any help would be great ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Best to enquire in the fitness thread as there's lads there who'll be able to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

I got my confirmation email Friday, I'm up next Friday afternoon. Straight off a night shift to the exams, bring it on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

Anyone doing stage two tomorrow at 8:15 am?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Topps

Can the passport photo be 2 or 3 years old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Topps wrote: »
    Can the passport photo be 2 or 3 years old?
    As long as it resembles you it's fine. They don't inspect them too closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 WolfWhisper

Anyone doing stage two tomorrow at 8:15 am?

I'm in same time and starting to really panic. I failed on job sim last time and feel so unsure :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'm in same time and starting to really panic. I failed on job sim last time and feel so unsure :(

Don't panic do your best that you can. I failed job simulation first time and past it second time around.

Same boat as that!! In failed job sim last time and I'm in 8:15 tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ivandrago2008

Does anyone know what the weight limits are. The sergeant yesterday mentioned getting the weight under the limit. I'm confident of passing all the fitness tests but I wouldn't be the lightest

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Libraligs

Does anyone know what the weight limits are. The sergeant yesterday mentioned getting the weight under the limit. I'm confident of passing all the fitness tests but I wouldn't be the lightest

It is probably to fit in to BMI but then again i doubt they would be that strickt, BMI doesn't tell you what percentage of your body is muscle and what is fat.. so some1 who is very ripped could come out with his BMI saying he is overweight. If you are fit i wouldnt worry too much. And if it's something that really bothers you and you think it could take away your chance- you can lose over a stone in a month time with simply correcting your eating habbits and upping your fitness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

there's no weight limits, as everyone's different. But it states u cannot be obese. Different websites give diff answers tho. Make sure ur BMI is under 30

User16 wrote: »
    there's no weight limits, as everyone's different. But it states u cannot be obese. Different websites give diff answers tho. Make sure ur BMI is under 30

also If your bmi is over 30 but your body fat % is in healthy levels they just do a bodyfat test as far as I know.

User16 wrote: »

It's the bmI I'm worried about. If it was body fat % I'd fall under normal levels. I'll sail through the fitness tests. Got to make it that far first though. Failed interview last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭DE1991

It's the bmI I'm worried about. If it was body fat % I'd fall under normal levels. I'll sail through the fitness tests. Got to make it that far first though. Failed interview last time.

Are the interviews pretty intense? As with other jobs, are there main things you will revise on considering you have done it already?

DE1991 wrote: »
    Are the interviews pretty intense? As with other jobs, are there main things you will revise on considering you have done it already?

They focused pretty hard on why I dropped out of college twice. Also I completely blanked when they asked me to describe the curriculum and training programme I would have to go through. It's intense enough if you're not used to a formal interview. They focus mainly on resilience, judgement and decision making, interpersonal skills, delivery of results and motivation to be a garda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Colossus9619

Im going to Dublin for Stage 2 tomorrow but I don't have a Passport or Driver's Licence, I said this to the person on the phone when I was booking a date to go up and they said that a Garda age card would do. What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 timmym628

Do you need to bring your own computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭redzer

Anyone know if there are secure storage or lockers for valuables phones etc in Chapters House?

timmym628 wrote:

No. Computers are provided.

redzer wrote:
    Anyone know if there are secure storage or lockers for valuables phones etc in Chapters House?

Yes. Valuables are stored in a locked room for the duration of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dan 191

timmym628 wrote: »

Nope ..all stuff is there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭redzer

Yes. Valuables are stored in a locked room for the duration of the test

Grand, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Emer29

Does anyone have any idea when we can expect the results from stage 2 if the interviews are starting 8th Dec???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Emer29 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when we can expect the results from stage 2 if the interviews are starting 8th Dec???

Probably end of this month or start of Dec. They have warned people to be prepared to be called up on short notice

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Topps

My stage 2 email confirmation says Time 14:30 and Orientation 13:15. I take it I should be there at 13:00?

madcabbage wrote: »
    Probably end of this month or start of Dec. They have warned people to be prepared to be called up on short notice

We were told that the interviews aren't till the new year and the results for stage two won't be till mid December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

madcabbage wrote: »

We were told that the interviews aren't till the new year and the results for stage two won't be till mid December

Depending where you were placed from stage one and when you sat stage two. People who sat stage two the first week should hear back last week in November first week in December as we were told interview's start 8th of December

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Emer29

From what I've heard there seems to have been different information regarding dates etc mentioned at the orientation sessions. On garda.ie and the familisation booklet it says the interviews will be commencing from 8th Dec. I'm going by that date!

Mrnew wrote: »
    Depending where you were placed from stage one and when you sat stage two. People who sat stage two the first week should hear back last week in November first week in December as we were told interview's start 8th of December

Apologies lad, you're dead right.
    I'm only after doing my stage 2 there last Tuesday or so. I thought we would all find out around the same time

It's gone awful quiet here. Slight chance those of us from the first week of testing will get some news before the weekend but I'm not holding my breath.

It's gone awful quiet here. Slight chance those of us from the first week of testing will get some news before the weekend but I'm not holding my breath.

I did my stage two last Tuesday ... I'll hardly hear back for a while will I?

I did my stage two last Tuesday ... I'll hardly hear back for a while will I?

My understanding is that the the group from the first week of testing is being processed first. We were told we would get our results before the end of November.

I think your group was told that you'll get your results in december

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lmarie2016

PAS seem to love Thursdays , so hopefully those from the first week hear tomorrow

Lmarie2016 wrote: »

PAS seem to love Thursdays , so hopefully those from the first week hear tomorrow

Hopefully, all we can do is wait and see. Unless someone wants to give them a quick call? :P

I was told last week in november when I asked anyway so I was just assuming it would be next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Libraligs

Does any1 know how it goes after if lets say you pass- do they tell you your place in your band or overall?

• Advertisement
Advertisement