Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guards recruitment September 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Did u do anything different this time round???...... courses....... selecting good instead of excellent ....??

Took a harsher approach in answering questions that were bad and followed some basic principles that a serving family member prepared for me

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lmarie2016

Hi everyone me again haha...
    Obviously over Christmas is the best time to gather the information from relatives- as you know that long lost auntie that you never see makes an appearance 😂😂.. correct me if I'm wrong.
    Need to get my mum and dads brothers and sisters info- but don't need to worry about their partners?
    Do I have to obtain cousins info?
    Also my partners family is it the same deal?

Does anyone have a copy of the form b they could email me please. I would really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dildoshwaggins

Lmarie2016 wrote: »
    Hi everyone me again haha...
    Obviously over Christmas is the best time to gather the information from relatives- as you know that long lost auntie that you never see makes an appearance 😂😂.. correct me if I'm wrong.
    Need to get my mum and dads brothers and sisters info- but don't need to worry about their partners?
    Do I have to obtain cousins info?
    Also my partners family is it the same deal?

Does anyone have a copy of the form b they could email me please. I would really appreciate it.
    What's your email Lmarie2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lmarie2016

Thanks so much for your response. Can you private message me please and I will give it to you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

Lmarie2016 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your response. Can you private message me please and I will give it to you there.

Hey. Not sure how to private mail on this but I've done my medical and just waiting for the physical now. If you have any questions about any aspect of the recruitment, I'd be happy to help in anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Hi DooraGirl,
    . since you passed the medical can you tell me what is involved, is it stricked, and did you do any prep courses for stages1 to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 adam kearney

Hi
    I was successful at stage 2 and placed 555 so just waiting to be called for interview , hopefully early next year ??
    Just wondering anyone that had interviews this week, how they went ?
    also what where they asking any info at all would be great
    Cheers

vardy98 wrote: »
    Hi DooraGirl,
    . since you passed the medical can you tell me what is involved, is it stricked, and did you do any prep courses for stages1 to 3.

Heya. The medical is pretty standard. Nurse checks your height, weight, blood pressure, peak flow test (you blow in to a tube) ,hearing and takes a urine sample. Your BMI can be no higher than 30 I think, but I'm open to correction on that. Then doctor checks your eye sight and checked my heart, lungs and joint mobility and checked around for any protruding masses.

I didnt do any courses for stage one and two, but I worked with a serving member on the interview. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Thank you for Tha yes I think you are right about the bmi being 30, but what does That mean, I'm quite a big fella, I'm 6ft tall and have very broad shoulders, is 30 of a bmi big or what would that be, also how is the eyesight checked, is is a box on the wall like in an optitions, thanks

Thank you for Tha yes I think you are right about the bmi being 30, but what does That mean, I'm quite a big fella, I'm 6ft tall and have very broad shoulders, is 30 of a bmi big or what would that be, also how is the eyesight checked, is is a box on the wall like in an optitions, thanks

BMI Is easily calculated if you know your weight and height, just google BMI calculator.

With regards to eyesight I believe it's checked by looking into a machine and reading out letters and numbers.

• Advertisement

The eye sight is checked looking in to a machine. Each eye individually and then both together. 3 columns A B C and 123 down along and they ask you to read different rows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublingarda

Anyone have the email address for this current campaign? Can't seem to find it in the familiarisation material.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Anyone know what the story is with doing stage 2 I passed everything except job simulation got 3984 can you appeal.

I appealed it in the last campaign and I failed by 5 marks so I know the feeling :(. But yes try your best to appeal. My appeal was unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Not to sound sarcastic or anything but I appealed before in last campaign ... Public jobs strung me along for 11 weeks, 11 weeks and then they never gave me any result at all. They fobbed me off. On this occasion I nailed stage two so my bitterness has eased. But they do not want to deal with anyone, not even the people just enquiring.
    Honestly mate, appeal if u like but there's no chance they will entertain it.
    I'm sorry to be the Blunt force but that's the way it is I'm afraid.
    Apply again and you'll be grand that's what I did.

Yes a true reality I'm afraid as my appeal was on going and finally found out 6 weeks later that my appeal for the job simulation was unsuccessful even though I was out by five marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

DooraGirl wrote: »
    The eye sight is checked looking in to a machine. Each eye individually and then both together. 3 columns A B C and 123 down along and they ask you to read different rows :)

I wear glasses if I fail the medical can you get a re test so you can laser eye surgery etc?
    Also should asked this first can you defer the medical when given the date and does the medical take place soon after the interview stage??

leestone wrote: »
    I wear glasses if I fail the medical can you get a re test so you can laser eye surgery etc?
    Also should asked this first can you defer the medical when given the date and does the medical take place soon after the interview stage??

As far as I know, if you fail the eye test, they will defer you for at least 6 weeks to get the laser done. I'm not sure about defering the medical to be honest. I found out id passed my interview at the end of October and did my medical on the 6th of December. Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

I lost the email regarding the interview study material can someone tell me the 5 key things we need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 44 GazDublinC

Cedric87 wrote: »
    I lost the email regarding the interview study material can someone tell me the 5 key things we need to know

Resilience
    Motivation to be a garda
    Decision making
    Interpersonal skills
    Delivery of results

GazDublinC wrote: »
    Resilience
    Motivation to be a garda
    Decision making
    Interpersonal skills
    Delivery of results

Thanks I'll just do a one to one prep course before it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

leestone wrote: »

You get six months. No need for a re-test. You just send in your six week post-op report. The doctor reviews it and you're good to go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Elliot192 wrote: »
    You get six months. No need for a re-test. You just send in your six week post-op report. The doctor reviews it and you're good to go!

Hi i'm in the same boat with the old eyesight. Just wondered am i right in thinking that until the medical is completed they won't call you for the physical? Thanks

Hi i'm in the same boat with the old eyesight. Just wondered am i right in thinking that until the medical is completed they won't call you for the physical? Thanks

Yup. That's it. Need to pass the medical first. Then fitness.

Yup. That's it. Need to pass the medical first. Then fitness.

Thanks for that. I suppose blindness has a benefit in that it gives more training time..:) Although I need to get through interview first so one step at a time..

Curious about the weight issue, is that also 6 months to sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DonegalMan0544

wlynch1984 wrote: »
    A lot has to do with publicjobs closing for Xmas and how long they are holidays for. They will interview 50 a day approximately, they started on the 8th so by this Friday I'm guessing they will have gone through 350,

I'm early 300s and haven't received a date yet so it's looking like it will be after Christmas

Curious about the weight issue, is that also 6 months to sort it out

From what I've read on the forum no - you get three months. But I would say also that if you're weight is above a loss of say a max 2lbs a week over three months it might be a different story. Think I remember reading waaaay back that someone failed the medical over their weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Emer29

Does anyone know when results are out for the interviews??

I've a bmi of 19.8 and I'm thin so I'm just worried about that aspect and it's hard to put the weight on, I've upped my calorie intake so hopefully I get my bmi to 20 by the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dildoshwaggins

Emer29 wrote: »
    Christmas week.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 30 howarethings30

I don't think there are any interviews this week coming..so hopefully results will be out.

I've a bmi of 19.8 and I'm thin so I'm just worried about that aspect and it's hard to put the weight on, I've upped my calorie intake so hopefully I get my bmi to 20 by the medical.

You're alright. You're well above 18.5 and no where in the familiarisation material does it mention a minimum BMI. Just says fit and healthy which with a BMI above 18.5 you are!

You're alright. You're well above 18.5 and no where in the familiarisation material does it mention a minimum BMI. Just says fit and healthy which with a BMI above 18.5 you are!

Thanks just last time I had a medical for the reserves he encouraged me to gain some weight if I ever went for the full time as he said I'd struggle to pass. I'm happy enough now though.

I'd love an interview date this week just so I can do some prep work on my week off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭Chrisbellew

Hi lads was just wondering, do we get the Form B in the interview invitation email or do we have to print it off ourselves?

Hi lads was just wondering, do we get the Form B in the interview invitation email or do we have to print it off ourselves?

You get it with the invite email.

But it's also available here if u want to get a head start:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/Application_Form_B.doc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭killer91

First week of interview results are out.

I climbed over 190 places, absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Went from 360 after stage 1 to top 100 now, absolutly delighted! Some christmas present

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AiB123

Top 50, absolutely thrilled. Happy Christmas guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 copreed

You guys get help for the interview or prepare yourselves? Looking tips. And well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭blueforce89

Well done to all who got results. Noticed at the top of the email a Group. Wonder if this has any significance for medical/fitness dates.

• Advertisement

Seems to be all positive results today.. ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Well done to all who got results. Noticed at the top of the email a Group. Wonder if this has any significance for medical/fitness dates.

Ye I'd say so. Just like the interviews, I'd say the top placed people will get the medical/fitness dates quicker.

Anyone know what the highest oom that was interviewed?
    Have the initial 260 now had their interviews or is it just some of the initial 260 that have been interviewed so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭DE1991

Emer29 wrote: »

Got mine today i interviewed on the 9th when did u?

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the highest oom that was interviewed?
    Have the initial 260 now had their interviews or is it just some of the initial 260 that have been interviewed so far?

I was just inside the 260 but I've passed and moved into the top 50.

killer91 wrote: »
    I was just inside the 260 but I've passed and moved into the top 50.

Just to confirm when you say just inside you mean somewhere in the region of 240-260 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 GazDublinC

Just to confirm when you say just inside you mean somewhere in the region of 240-260 ?

I was in that region and done it on the 9th. Passed and in top 150 now

GazDublinC wrote: »
    I was in that region and done it on the 9th. Passed and in top 150 now

Great stuff. That would imply that all 260 have done their interviews. Those of us just outside that range may get our interview dates at the end of the week.

If they're able to interview 260 people in 7 working days it gives an average of just under 40 candidates a day. Good info for estimation purposes going forward.

Yes let's say 240 to 260. Interview on the 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Lads, a little off topic, but on Form B there is a question regarding being a member of a political party, presume everything should be disclosed as it will be found out?

Also, would Jury duty be classed as being 'summons to Court'

Thanks for any help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement