Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guards recruitment September 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DonegalMan0544

leestone wrote: »
    I'm in the 900+ oom for interviews any rough idea when il be called? Do you get much notice?

Not sure but I remember filling out some form similiar to form B back in September

Hi well I'm in early 300s and my interview is Mid January, they got through the first 260 within two weeks, so they seem to be getting through them pretty quickly, if that helps lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Happy new year lads! Let's see what it brings :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭blueforce89

For anyone that got an invite to the Medical in January. Was there only one attachment with the email or should there have been a self-declaration form?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 copreed

Any idea what number of oom has been called for the interview? I have a holiday booked this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cocopops24

For anyone that got an invite to the Medical in January. Was there only one attachment with the email or should there have been a self-declaration form?
    Just the one attachment!

Cheers, might get another email next week with the self declaration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    That interview form u filled out in September will be the foundation that your interview is based on. You can download it again by clicking on "my applications" on the PAS website

So the questions asked are based on the info from the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

So is the form b sent to Garda hq so they see it and then come up with questions to ask you on that, am I right with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭DE1991

vardy98 wrote: »
    So is the form b sent to Garda hq so they see it and then come up with questions to ask you on that, am I right with that?

You bring form b in with you on the day. The questions they ask are based on the oringinal application you filled out online back in September

vardy98 wrote: »
    Your interview is based on the online application form you submitted when applying (this one has your education, employment history, hobbies, volunteering etc on it) and the competencies. The form b is used for vetting and background checks which the appointments office in garda hq uses to vet yourself and your family and overall determine your suitability for the position once you have passed all the tests and interview. You will meet one of the members of the appointments office on the day of your interview and they will collect your form :)

• Advertisement

Just wondering I put down on my form that I am finishing an exam in college that I deferred for a few years well that go against me in the interview?

Just wondering I put down on my form that I am finishing an exam in college that I deferred for a few years well that go against me in the interview?
    I had the same thing! It shouldn't go against you but just make sure you have a couple of reasons as to why you deferred it!

Cocopops24 wrote: »
    I had the same thing! It shouldn't go against you but just make sure you have a couple of reasons as to why you deferred it!

i was ill at one stage and working never got around to it. Have you done your interview yet?

Yeah had the interview before Christmas! I explained how I had actually failed my exam but turned it around as I had went on to get a good job which in turn helped me save for college etc. Anything to show your resilience and how you would cope well with any sort of setbacks!

Cocopops24 wrote: »
    Yeah had the interview before Christmas! I explained how I had actually failed my exam but turned it around as I had went on to get a good job which in turn helped me save for college etc. Anything to show your resilience and how you would cope well with any sort of setbacks!

Cheers for that i was actually in the exact same place got a job out of college and never had the time to do it. How did you find the interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Lads did anyone who did their interview in December get a date yet for medical or fitness? Got an e mail about the open day on the 28th that's it thought I might have got one of the tests this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭killer91

Lads did anyone who did their interview in December get a date yet for medical or fitness? Got an e mail about the open day on the 28th that's it thought I might have got one of the tests this month?

Ye I'm in the top 50, and I got an invite for the open day on the 21st. No dates for the other tests either.

A few people here have got their dates yea. I did mine before xmas too and inside the top 130 but same as only got the open day email so far nothing about the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 44 GazDublinC

DE1991 wrote: »
    A few people here have got their dates yea. I did mine before xmas too and inside the top 130 but same as only got the open day email so far nothing about the medical

I just got my medical date today. In top 130 too and also got the open day invite

• Advertisement

GazDublinC wrote: »
    I just got my medical date today. In top 130 too and also got the open day invite

Ah good stuff maybe ill get mine tomorrow or the next day so. Do ya get much notice or is it pretty soon?

I got my email just before Christmas and only got about 2 weeks notice.

I got my email just before Christmas and only got about 2 weeks notice.

Is that for the medical yeah? I suppose like th interview its a certain time slot with no room to alter?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 GazDublinC

DE1991 wrote: »
    Ah good stuff maybe ill get mine tomorrow or the next day so. Do ya get much notice or is it pretty soon?

3 weeks I got

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭wlynch1984

Lads dose anyone know if publicjobs are still on holidays or are they back interviewing people yet?

wlynch1984 wrote: »
    Lads dose anyone know if publicjobs are still on holidays or are they back interviewing people yet?

I've an oom of approx 360 and was informed by PAS that I will receive my interview date this week and that the next round of interviews are scheduled for between the 16th and 27th of January

• Advertisement

Cheers for that i was actually in the exact same place got a job out of college and never had the time to do it. How did you find the interview?
    I found it tough enough! Apparently if they question you lots it's a good sign though! Once you have everything prepared you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭wlynch1984

I've an oom of approx 360 and was informed by PAS that I will receive my interview date this week and that the next round of interviews are scheduled for between the 16th and 27th of January

Cheers for that I'm 980 trying to figure out when I'll be called so I can book the day off.

Anyone get any medical dates today or yesterday?

Interview dates are out

Is there supposed to be a familiarisation material document along with that message?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Is there supposed to be a familiarisation material document along with that message?

Might be a followup email to come still with it. Only got a date and a download link for the b form.

madcabbage wrote: »
    Might be a followup email to come still with it. Only got a date and a download link for the b form.

Same. Anyone who's done the interview did you receive the Form B and the interview familiarisation material in the same message or were they separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Butters963

For those that have been called for medicals this week or last week approx. where are you in the OOM?

I'm above 50 and below 100 and from reading messages here I thought I would have been called by now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Just got the familiarisation email

Not as much info as I hoped but, tbh what did I expect ha.

I've waited years for this opportunity, I've probably done well over a dozen interviews for various jobs over the last few years, but this is the one I'm most nervous for. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lmarie2016

Hi, got my interview email with familiarisation email but the link for what we need to bring with us won't open? Anybody else having that issue??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

Best of luck to us all!

Lmarie2016 wrote:
    Hi, got my interview email with familiarisation email but the link for what we need to bring with us won't open? Anybody else having that issue??

Lmarie2016 wrote:
    Thanks

Right click and select "copy hyperlink" then paste into the URL bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clairelouise95

Just got a date for my interview! Anyone any tips? I failed the interview last time round.

Butters963 wrote: »
    For those that have been called for medicals this week or last week approx. where are you in the OOM?

I'm above 50 and below 100 and from reading messages here I thought I would have been called by now

Im between 100 - 150 havent got mine yet either but puts me a little at ease that you haven't either seen as ur higher ranked.
    I keep checking my mails even tho i know i didnt get one.
    In the last recruitment drive i got an email to come to stage 2 that i didnt remember getting and missed my slot :/

• Advertisement

Right click and select "copy hyperlink" then paste into the URL bar.

That didn't work :(. Can you maybe email it to me if I message you my email address?

I don't know what's wrong with my phone it has been playing up.

It would be much appreciated if you could.

Thanks

Lmarie2016 wrote:
    That didn't work . Can you maybe email it to me if I message you my email address?

Lmarie2016 wrote:
    I don't know what's wrong with my phone it has been playing up.

Lmarie2016 wrote:
    It would be much appreciated if you could.

It only links you to the relevant part in the "notes for candidates document" and this following document with regards to education requirements:

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/Entire_Acceptable_Leaving_Certificates_document.docx

It only links you to the relevant part in the "notes for candidates document" and this following document with regards to education requirements:

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/Entire_Acceptable_Leaving_Certificates_document.docx

Il try it on the computer later it must be my phone it keeps saying error.

Can you please advise what we need to bring to the interview with us?
    -long version of birth cert
    -ID
    -Form B
    -passport photo
    -leaving very results & any other qualifications.

Am I missing anything :)

Lmarie2016 wrote: »

Il try it on the computer later it must be my phone it keeps saying error.

Can you please advise what we need to bring to the interview with us?
    -long version of birth cert
    -ID
    -Form B
    -passport photo
    -leaving very results & any other qualifications.

Am I missing anything :)

That's spot on.
    Best of luck with your interview! Let me know how you get on. :)

That's spot on.
    Best of luck with your interview! Let me know how you get on. :)

Thanks so much.. you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

my OOM is high 500s . . i still havent got an interview date :( what oom numbers are ye who got interview dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

my OOM is high 500s . . i still havent got an interview date :( what oom numbers are ye who got interview dates?

I'm mid 500s and got called for interview end of January

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

Shane88 wrote: »
    I'm mid 500s and got called for interview end of January

Oh well maybe I'll get an email today then? .. Or maybe it's bit by bit they're doing it. Sound for that. Hopefully I hear soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Just got a date for my interview! Anyone any tips? I failed the interview last time round.

Well, that's resilience sorted. Well done! Any idea what you failed on last time? Did you get any feedback?

I would say be confident. There will be lots of public speaking/dealing with the public as a garda - you need to project confidence, assertiveness and authority. As well as excellent communication skills and a sense of humour - think of this as a dry run!

Dress to impress - suited and booted. You don't see any plain clothes detectives in the courts wearing anything other than a suit.

If you don't understand a question, ask them to rephrase it.

Take your time. Sup the water. SMILE, sit up straight and make eye contact.

Have two - three scenarios prepared for each competency. Develop your points using the STAR technique ie Situation, Task, Activity, Result. Read the room, if you feel like one scenario isn't cutting the mustard, add another one to make your point. Ask them at the end if there are any areas you need to add to (can't think of how to phrase that properly right now).

Read through garda.ie - know it and garda publications inside out. They will help you formulate good scenarios that demonstrate that you understand the role and know you have the skills, attributes and experience that will make you a good garda (once you've completed the excellent training provided in Templemore).

Have someone else look at your scenarios. Practice with them. Or preferably a garda if you can.

If all else fails - I see others on this site swear by some of the interview prep courses. It may be no harm to invest in yourself by attending one.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Hi guys, I'm finding it hard to come up with examples on competences examples, I've only went to secondary school and I'm now doing a course now in law, I haven't worked yet, can the examples be on anything at all and when you say do the examples in the form of STAR, what do you really mean, could you give me an example to explain it please, thanks in advance.

Advertisement