Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guards recruitment September 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

Could anyone that has had the meeting with the local superintendent tell me what it entails please

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭DE1991

Got my medical date today, roll on ðŸ˜႒

When did ya do the interview?

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    I'm low 200's and still no email.

Im low to mid 100's and still nothing either

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DonegalMan0544

DE1991 wrote: »
    When did ya do the interview?

January

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Eddyrio5

Has anyone completed the medical?
    What do they look for? Bmi, eyesight, hearing, and injuries etc. Do they check teeth also?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

When you say injuries what do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

vardy98 wrote: »
    When you say injuries what do you mean?

My understanding is on the self declaration form you're asked about previous injuries/surgeries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

So what would a serious injury be for example.

vardy98 wrote: »
    So what would a serious injury be for example.

Don't personally know that info but I've heard of one individual who had to get supporting documentation from a consultant in relation to an old knee injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

Just did stage two there today. Missed one or two details on the report, feeling a bit indifferent now.  Was wondering if anyone that passed did the same?

I analysed my performance in stage two as well. You will miss a point or two. In a real situation you would simply ask the witness to clarify anything you missed so don't worry it's not perfection they are after just the aptitude. Hopefully whatever you did is good enough and best of luck.

vardy98 wrote:
    Just if you don't mind me asking Mr Black93 what sort of knee injury did your friend get, when I was in school I was playing rugby I clashed knees with another player, it was sore for a few days, I went to the doctors straight away but she said it was fine just bruised so I had to keep my weight off it for a few days, I also went to a friend who is a physio and he said nothing he can do that I just need to exercise it and build back up the muscle again now it's fine and back to normal, this wouldn't really be a serious injury would it.

I believe it was a cruciate injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Damo1988

Anybody else had a delay in getting their leaving cert results? Ordered nearly a month now!

Damo1988 wrote: »
    Anybody else had a delay in getting their leaving cert results? Ordered nearly a month now!

Happened me in December give them a ring they might have forgot to post them out

Rang PAS today with regards to not having received a medical date yet.
    Was informed that everything was in order with regards to my application and that only half of those who received their results last week were given medical dates so far.

Oh well, back to the waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leixlipgirl

Rang PAS today with regards to not having received a medical date yet.
    Was informed that everything was in order with regards to my application and that only half of those who received their results last week were given medical dates so far.

Oh well, back to the waiting game.
    Did they give any idea when other half mihht get theirs? Please

• Advertisement

Did they give any idea when other half mihht get theirs? Please

No indication. Just said I'll get my date when more slots become available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Was unsuccessful in my interview.

Bit around the process for those waiting to do interviews.

It's not like a usual interview, in the sense that everything is already outlined for you before you go in. You know what to expect, your competencies will be asked almost in sequential order.

Before i even went into the room a lady came out, sat me down, told me not to be nervous. Outlined the competencies to me again, who was on the panel, what their names were, where they were from career wise. She then told me i could shake their hands if i wanted... and do shake them when i leave... she was helpful but almost one step away from holding my hand through the door.

Interview

There was a panel of 3, one superintendent named Fiona Fogarty (i think) a civil servant and another who person i cant remember. They were all very nice, welcoming and put me at ease. Each of them outlined the competency they would question me on. They explained what each competency was about and what was expected from the answer. I'd say each person asked about 2-3 questions for each competency. Might be worth mentioning that they asked me quite negative questions... by this i mean they asked about times i've been criticized, how i dealt with that. Have i ever given negative feedback. What would i do differently.

The superintendent was asking me specific questions about the garda. The ranks of guards, what support services do they consist of, the geographical regions, who i knew, what were the shift hours, what the pay was, templemore courses, hours of the course, training expectation etc. basically testing knowledge on the garda.

I dont have much experience within a community i.e Garda reserve, GAA, Order of Malta etc. I felt they were looking for people who had experience in team roles that could be clearly outlined by reflecting community work, or helping people whether it be customer service, volunteering work and relaying these back into the competencies.

Good luck to those who are continuing on their applications and process and congrats to the folk who passed!

what you mean by support services

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clairelouise95

Anyone get an email regarding open day on the 11th of March?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nodnewel

Yep

Just got an email in relation to the open day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

Anyone get an email regarding open day on the 11th of March?

Got one for 25th of Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sineadmasonxd

Just got email about open day on 11th of March... must be a good sign? ��

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clairelouise95

Just got an email in relation to the open day

Do you think we'll have our medical before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 AlisonT123

Still no date for medical but got email about open day, do they run regularly ? Not sure if I can make it the 11th of March .

Yeah I got one for 25th of this month, they don't give much notice do they lol do ya get a practice run of the physical on the open day?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ALTHEPAL

Hi all, this is totally off topic for this thread but has anyone on here had to sit the Irish profiency exam with public jobs ? You sit this when you don't have two languages at ordinary level leaving cert, any feedback much appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jay days

Hi all!! Just wondering if you fail the weight on the medical, as in your bmi is too high, is it game over?? Or do you get a chance to come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bilboa23

I did the medical two weeks ago and I just have to have a meeting with the Superintendant and do my physical. I don't think I'll be going to templemore in May probably too late! Just wondering would ye think I'd have the the meeting and physical done before the end of May? Was hoping to go to America for two months before I start in August or November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Those who have done stage 2 this week were they full classes in Chapter house ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Damo1988

Bilboa23 wrote: »
    I did the medical two weeks ago and I just have to have a meeting with the Superintendant and do my physical. I don't think I'll be going to templemore in May probably too late! Just wondering would ye think I'd have the the meeting and physical done before the end of May? Was hoping to go to America for two months before I start in August or November

What does the medical entail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Peterh89

ALTHEPAL wrote: »
    Hi all, this is totally off topic for this thread but has anyone on here had to sit the Irish profiency exam with public jobs ? You sit this when you don't have two languages at ordinary level leaving cert, any feedback much appreciated .
    yeah im on the same boat got a date in march to be tested and I do not have a word of Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ALTHEPAL

Peterh89 wrote: »
    yeah im on the same boat got a date in march to be tested and I do not have a word of Irish.

Really what stage are you at now ? pm me if you want there

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Topps

Just looking at a form handed to me after stage 2 of the competition. It mentions an interview form must be submitted? Didnt we do this at the beginning of the compaign? Is this a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Topps wrote: »
    Just looking at a form handed to me after stage 2 of the competition. It mentions an interview form must be submitted? Didnt we do this at the beginning of the compaign? Is this a mistake?

I actually seen that too it was probably something they should have changed and they just used the same wording from the previous January 2016 campaign as you may remember we received that same handout called; 'Information for Candidates regarding stage 3 for Garda Trainee 2016'

We would have had to send in the interview form after stage two in the January campaign to sit the interview. Whereas we already filled that out first thing before we even sat for stage one in the September 2016 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cjgblm

Bilboa23 wrote: »

Wouldn't rule out May totally , I had my medical 3 weeks ago and pct next week so hope this helps , there doesn't seem to be much order in regards OOM not sure if they give preference to those who's vetting has come back or what the story is but it is possible you will have pct in the coming weeks , don't expect any more than 15-16 days notice for pct exam , have you been invited to an open day ?

cjgblm wrote: »
    Wouldn't rule out May totally , I had my medical 3 weeks ago and pct next week so hope this helps , there doesn't seem to be much order in regards OOM not sure if they give preference to those who's vetting has come back or what the story is but it is possible you will have pct in the coming weeks , don't expect any more than 15-16 days notice for pct exam , have you been invited to an open day ?

If you get invited to an open day does that mean that you'll be asked to do the physical shortly after or no? Granted that you pass the medical etc..

AlisonT123 wrote: »
    Still no date for medical but got email about open day, do they run regularly ? Not sure if I can make it the 11th of March .

Just go to one of the other dates, i went to mine a couple weeks ago, they dont take names or anything like that so you'd be sound going to the others i reckon

If you get invited to an open day does that mean that you'll be asked to do the physical shortly after or no? Granted that you pass the medical etc..

Nope. Did my interview early December, got my results before xmas, had my open day a couple weeks ago but still no date for medical or physical. Its gone a bit slow at this stage now

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

Can Somebody run me through the medical eye sight side of things really my optian says i meet the requiremnts and she has put it on headed paper for me would this hold any sway if they were to fail you or would you be told on your bike!!! realy appreciate some insight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rubys9

Hi i've stage 2 on monday coming. just wondering has anyone any tips or anything to help me prepare for it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 AlisonT123

rubys9 wrote: »
    Hi i've stage 2 on monday coming. just wondering has anyone any tips or anything to help me prepare for it? Thanks

Relax and Go in Confident.. Spend time studying the scenarios, I found them difficult. For report writing head down and try and jot down as much info as Possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Can Somebody run me through the medical eye sight side of things really my optian says i meet the requiremnts and she has put it on headed paper for me would this hold any sway if they were to fail you or would you be told on your bike!!! realy appreciate some insight?

Sure, if your optician says you meet the requirements, why do you think you would fail? My friend was down in the college in 2015 and they said there were two or three recruits in the class wearing glasses, if that helps put your mind at ease. For the medical they just use the same/similar equipment as a technician in spec savers would use, so I wouldn't be worrying. If you've had any operations etc on your eyes in the past, then it's probably an ophthalmologist's report you would need. Not sure what the deal is with colour blindness or lazy eyes now just short-sightedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cocopops24

I passed the medical but barely from my eyesight! I went and got an eye test the week before and was well within the limits but on the day of the medical could barely see anything in the machine and only got the required limits when she used the wall chart! My prescription is only -1 so just be aware that the machine is definitely a bit iffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rubys9

Thankyou. is there any samples or anything to help me practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 iCiaranS

Got my interview tomorrow lads, anyone got any words of advice before the big one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

Does everyone with no Irish skills have to do this? First I'm hearing of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭blueforce89

User16 wrote: »

Does everyone with no Irish skills have to do this? First I'm hearing of it
    Only if you don't have the minimum of 2 languages from your leaving cert. Someone with English and German wouldn't have to do the Irish test, but someone with only English would have to sit the Irish exam. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Eddyrio5

Cocopops24 wrote: »
    I passed the medical but barely from my eyesight! I went and got an eye test the week before and was well within the limits but on the day of the medical could barely see anything in the machine and only got the required limits when she used the wall chart! My prescription is only -1 so just be aware that the machine is definitely a bit iffy!
    What do they test/look for on the medical? You couldn't give a quick run down could you please

Just got my medical date. ****ting bricks!!!

If I fail this I'll have to reevaluate alot of things in my life

Just got my medical date. ****ting bricks!!!

If I fail this I'll have to reevaluate alot of things in my life

You should fly the medical, is it far away?

• Advertisement
Advertisement