Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guards recruitment September 2016

1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Lads wondering if anybody could help me I'm from Sep 16 campaign with everything done except fitness test oom of mid 800s, passed my medical 3 weeks ago. I've a wedding abroad in October for a week and am just worried it will clash with my fitness test anyone know when the next batch of fitness tests will be issued or when I'd have a rough idea when?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Lads wondering if anybody could help me I'm from Sep 16 campaign with everything done except fitness test oom of mid 800s, passed my medical 3 weeks ago. I've a wedding abroad in October for a week and am just worried it will clash with my fitness test anyone know when the next batch of fitness tests will be issued or when I'd have a rough idea when?

I have seen on here that August is now full for PCT places so could be possibly September for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Leeroyjenkins

I have seen on here that August is now full for PCT places so could be possibly September for you.

I'm from the Sep 16 as well and my oom is around 700 and I got my fitness test date for the 18th of this month.

Cheers lads thanks very much so it's looking like September at least. Just hope it doesn't fall that week or the week afterwards.

I'm from the Sep 16 as well and my oom is around 700 and I got my fitness test date for the 18th of this month.

I am low 600s and from Sept 16 and have my PCT the week after.

Are you ready for it? I am training 5 days a week and resting 2 days. Actually enjoying the training.

• Advertisement

I am low 600s and from Sept 16 and have my PCT the week after.

Are you ready for it? I am training 5 days a week and resting 2 days. Actually enjoying the training.
    Yeah think I'm okay for it getting over 9 in the bleep,pressups no problem just about getting 35 sit-ups in minute but still time to improve. Best of luck with your pct I'm sure you will fly it :)

Yeah think I'm okay for it getting over 9 in the bleep,pressups no problem just about getting 35 sit-ups in minute but still time to improve. Best of luck with your pct I'm sure you will fly it :)

You likewise, I am not a fan of the sit-ups either to be honest:eek: but sure it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jtraffic

Hey everyone. Have my PCT next Monday and I think I'm ready for it. Just wondering about sit ups though? In the PCT video outlining what you need to do to it shows people holding your feet down while you do the sit ups. Do they actually do this in the test? Just wondering because obviously that would make them much easier and it seems too good to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Yes, in my case the instructor wedged my heels against the situp mat and stood on the tips of my feet.

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Yes, in my case the instructor wedged my heels against the situp mat and stood on the tips of my feet.

Wow good to know. Thanks a million

• Advertisement

jtraffic wrote: »
    Wow good to know. Thanks a million

Yeah it makes all the difference :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Leeroyjenkins

Well lads I was wondering if anyone knew if you're allowed to park in the college fir the duration of the fitness test? I've a 2 hour drive so it'd be nice to not have to drive elsewhere for parking.

Well lads I was wondering if anyone knew if you're allowed to park in the college fir the duration of the fitness test? I've a 2 hour drive so it'd be nice to not have to drive elsewhere for parking.

You park at the golf course beside the college.

It's literally 3 minute walk to the front gate from there.

sash1 wrote: »
    Any1 no if a garda caution affects vetting, picked up a silly one few wks ago while on a night out, hope I didn't mess everything up after getting this far:-(

That's a pretty hairy situation to find yourself in.

If the caution was formally recorded it'll show up during the vetting process.

As your form B has already been submitted at this stage you have no way to self declare it apart from to contact the vetting department directly if you want to give them ''full disclosure'' and not look like you're trying to conceal anything.

If you haven't had your sergeant and super meetings yet that'll be your best opportunity to discuss it and give an explanation.

I have my own opinion on the matter but I'll keep it to myself and not lecture you.

A person who picked up a caution in their youth might be forgiven but for a person to pick up a caution whilst actively trying to join An Garda Siochanna it's kind of another story and I can't imagine it will be handled as leniently.

It's in An Garda Siochanna's best interests to reduce liability where possible and I wouldn't be surprised if you were given a ''generally unsuitable'' letter as a result of the timing of picking up this caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Keeper34

Just to echo what MrBlack93 said. There were previous contributors on here who had drink driving cases up before the courts in the past and even though the cases were 'thrown out of court' were told by Garda HR to be 'generally unsuitable'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sqlking92

Lads what about one 4 years ago? Surely this would be ok..drink driving offence is far more serious whether thrown out or not..if someone is vetted and has an adult caution from a number of years ago I think it would be very unfair..different story for the guy who got once recently while in the process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    That's a pretty hairy situation to find yourself in.

If the caution was formally recorded it'll show up during the vetting process.

As your form B has already been submitted at this stage you have no way to self declare it apart from to contact the vetting department directly if you want to give them ''full disclosure'' and not look like you're trying to conceal anything.

If you haven't had your sergeant and super meetings yet that'll be your best opportunity to discuss it and give an explanation.

I have my own opinion on the matter but I'll keep it to myself and not lecture you.

A person who picked up a caution in their youth might be forgiven but for a person to pick up a caution whilst actively trying to join An Garda Siochanna it's kind of another story and I can't imagine it will be handled as leniently.

It's in An Garda Siochanna's best interests to reduce liability where possible and I wouldn't be surprised if you were given a ''generally unsuitable'' letter as a result of the timing of picking up this caution.

I had the Juvenile liaison officer when I was 12 and I declared it in my vetting etc super mentioned it in my interview alright and I said I have learned my lesson and he was happy to wish me luck going forward

Sqlking92 wrote: »
    Lads what about one 4 years ago? Surely this would be ok..drink driving offence is far more serious whether thrown out or not..if someone is vetted and has an adult caution from a number of years ago I think it would be very unfair..different story for the guy who got once recently while in the process

Honestly couldn't tell ya how it would be treated.

4 years ago is a lot better than halfway through a Garda Recruitment campaign.

Hopefully you get sorted.

What stage are you currently at?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Frankgalvin

I have completed everything back in June 19th did my Physical and everything was fine! I haven't heard anything since should i contact someone or is it just a waiting game really?

I have completed everything back in June 19th did my Physical and everything was fine! I haven't heard anything since should i contact someone or is it just a waiting game really?

It's a waiting game now. Maybe contact HRM to see the status of your vetting to see if you're a contender for the next intake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 AlisonT123

Anyone complete fitness back in May and still waiting to hear word. My application is supposidley waiting to be signed off on hoping and praying for November

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kinsellacoon

AlisonT123 wrote: »
    Anyone complete fitness back in May and still waiting to hear word. My application is supposidley waiting to be signed off on hoping and praying for November

Yeah I done my fitness may 13, I emailed them today and they said my vetting is still outstanding and they can't give me anymore information

Does anyone know if you've lived in another country, do you need to provide vetting from that country yourself? It doesn't say anything on the form we had to fill out but I heard that if you are applying for garda vetting normally then that is the case. Thanks

jtraffic wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you've lived in another country, do you need to provide vetting from that country yourself? It doesn't say anything on the form we had to fill out but I heard that if you are applying for garda vetting normally then that is the case. Thanks

No you don't have to supply anything, they'll source the relevant information so long as you state the addresses you live in during your stay

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

Here's my story and wonder is anyone else in same situation. Applied sept, 16 interview March , heard success 1st week of April and since then nothing bar for an invitation to visit t'more in May. Got an oom of mid 700's. It's been so long since I filled in the form b so I forget but somewhere on that firm there was a q about knowing a garda. I do know one and put his name down - he's since retired and got a call about me 6 weeks ago.
    On the original application I'd to tick a box and send in a copy of my disability from the educational physiological. I'm dyslexic. I got a couple more mins in stage 2 but thankfully didn't need them. Would the delay be because of this. If so I'm raging . I wanted to be totally up front. Has anyone else a similar problem or similar oom and heard nothing. I've looked and ppl with higher oom have medical physical Sargent and super done .

Jack53 wrote: »
    Here's my story and wonder is anyone else in same situation. Applied sept, 16 interview March , heard success 1st week of April and since then nothing bar for an invitation to visit t'more in May. Got an oom of mid 700's. It's been so long since I filled in the form b so I forget but somewhere on that firm there was a q about knowing a garda. I do know one and put his name down - he's since retired and got a call about me 6 weeks ago.
    On the original application I'd to tick a box and send in a copy of my disability from the educational physiological. I'm dyslexic. I got a couple more mins in stage 2 but thankfully didn't need them. Would the delay be because of this. If so I'm raging . I wanted to be totally up front. Has anyone else a similar problem or similar oom and heard nothing. I've looked and ppl with higher oom have medical physical Sargent and super done .

Well it's a good sign that your Garda referee was contacted, I would ring HRM and they may be in a position to shed some light on your file. 01 6662571 is the phone number. Hopefully they will tell you about a medical date then etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

Well it's a good sign that your Garda referee was contacted, I would ring HRM and they may be in a position to shed some light on your file. 01 6662571 is the phone number. Hopefully they will tell you about a medical date then etc.

I suppose it's a good sign - but I don't understand the delay . Applicants with a much higher oom have all the other 4 things done. Has anyone else been delayed or know of anyone because of the dreaded x in the box on the first day. Or do they have set number of males. females and people with dyslexia in each batch.
    Would make you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

This is a long auld road.......from applying in Sept 16.
    wonder whats the statistics of people giving up. I hate my job but as i wasnt long in it when i put it on my form B i dont want to leave as i could give the impression of someone who went from job to job. Wonder should i look for another or sit tight.

JC43 wrote: »
    wonder whats the statistics of people giving up. I hate my job but as i wasnt long in it when i put it on my form B i dont want to leave as i could give the impression of someone who went from job to job. Wonder should i look for another or sit tight.

If you hate your current job apply to another one.

It will not affect vetting in the slightest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

great thanks.
    good to know.
    its a long road

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Keeper34

I have everything passed bar vetting and I'm starting a new job next week. Why tolerate it if you hate it, even if it's only short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Damo1988

JC43 wrote: »

i left my job a few weeks ago. It wasnt good for my mental state so i done what was best for me. everything is done re: interview, vetting so you have no reason to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rbnjs

hi
    any idea, how long does it take after passing physical to be signed off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭diddlybo

rbnjs wrote: »
    hi

There is no definite timeline for that. It all depends on how long your vetting takes to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 CAJJ

rbnjs wrote: »
    hi

Physical done in May
    Meeting with the Sargent/Super in August

Vetting still isn't cleared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Sugar378

I started this journey september 2016 had everything done and passed since January 2017 and vetting still isn't back. Ive emailed Hrm and they basically told me that they are not finished vetting which is including my family. Im afraid its after being left on somebodys desk as ive lived in mulitple addresses and would obviously be easier to vet other people can anyone help is it the station i was interviewed that vets me ir who?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Hi, anybody have any idea how many people from September 2016 campaign or even older campaigns are still waiting to go to templemore? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

In August before the offers went out it was approx. 1,000, so maybe 600?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

In August before the offers went out it was approx. 1,000, so maybe 600?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sugar378

Im in the same boat myself waiting since September 16 have everything complete since January this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Any idea anyone when the next campaign may start? Soon I hope.

Advertisement