Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards recruitment September 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Great to hear negative marking is not been used so :). It's hard to say isn't it. You always get people like that sure if only they knew.

I'd reckon maybe out of the 5000 a few hundred will not have gone to the bother to fill out the form and sit the tests. I'd say approx 2000-2500 people won't pass stage one and what's leftover the PAS will separate into three groups, top, middle, lower. We'll have to just wait and see I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Have seen people fail job sim 2 campaigns in a row. Dreading the assessment centre this time TBH. Was inconsolable last time ha

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Have seen people fail job sim 2 campaigns in a row. Dreading the assessment centre this time TBH. Was inconsolable last time ha

Yeah gutted I was. I'd like to think now that I know where I made my mistakes. A friend of mine who is in the Guards even thought when I described some of the scenarios were quite tricky and that's coming from a Guard in the force for many many years.

Yeah gutted I was. I'd like to think now that I know where I made my mistakes. A friend of mine who is in the Guards even thought when I described some of the scenarios were quite tricky and that's coming from a Guard in the force for many many years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

Hi guys.. I'm happy to chat away here as well. I found out Tuesday that I'd passed my interview :) I've seen people mention on here about them taking in 800 out of 5000 next year.. just wondering where this years campaign (applied last November) would fit in to that? Intake in November this year and February next year out of that campaign and then it moves on to this one? Hope that makes sense :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

DooraGirl wrote: »
    Hi guys.. I'm happy to chat away here as well. I found out Tuesday that I'd passed my interview :) I've seen people mention on here about them taking in 800 out of 5000 next year.. just wondering where this years campaign (applied last November) would fit in to that? Intake in November this year and February next year out of that campaign and then it moves on to this one? Hope that makes sense :)

Yeah pretty much and any surplus left over will merge into the OOM of the new campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 GazDublinC

Hi all ! This is my second time applying, applied back in 2013 and got through stage 1 but wasn't in a position to accept an offer if I even got that far so I didn't do stage 2. (Didn't want to potentially take someone else's spot and waste it).

I hope the fact that I applied before and didn't follow through doesn't reflect badly on me.

Also the results can't come out quick enough, the wait is killing me 😂 best of luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

I know you're kind of joking, but I was inconsolable. I cried. For a while I felt bitter every time I saw a garda ve-hick-le.

Then I got over it. Just in time to get a job alert in my inbox from Publicjobs ;)

But job simulation was hella hard. I knew walking out I'd messed up. I'm worried that it'll happen again. Job sim is so hard to prep for. Even with the courses, there's so many shades of grey that it's hard to pick the right option.

I also think job sim an unfair test, because I felt that if we progress we'll be taught what to do in these situations. That's what the time in Templemore, in the stations and on the job will teach us.

A personality test of some kind would be better, maybe, to see if you've the right temperament for the job.

GazDublinC wrote: »

I hope the fact that I applied before and didn't follow through doesn't reflect badly on me.

Also the results can't come out quick enough, the wait is killing me 😂 best of luck to everyone

I doubt it'll be on the system, so you won't be asked about it. You'll be fine.

Waiting is the worst part of these campaigns. That's why threads like this help keep everyone sane :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

When will we hear results ? It seems in my case the more i want something and think about it i never get it was 4 places missed out on the 600 cut off for the prison officers sickening i know,would love to get the guards and advance to stage 2 even though i think i done pretty well in the phase 1 testing im not getting my hopes up the waiting is an absolute killer !!

When will we hear results ? It seems in my case the more i want something and think about it i never get it was 4 places missed out on the 600 cut off for the prison officers sickening i know,would love to get the guards and advance to stage 2 even though i think i done pretty well in the phase 1 testing im not getting my hopes up the waiting is an absolute killer !!

They're hoping to start stage 2 on November 7th, so in order to give us a week's notice to take time off work etc a lot of us reckon we'll hear next week.

Sorry to hear about the prison officer campaign. Missing out by four must have been really tough. Fingers crossed for you in this campaign anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

misslemon wrote: »
    They're hoping to start stage 2 on November 7th, so in order to give us a week's notice to take time off work etc a lot of us reckon we'll hear next week.

Sorry to hear about the prison officer campaign. Missing out by four must have been really tough. Fingers crossed for you in this campaign anyway :)

Jaysus that's some dose on you missing out by just four spots. I'm under the impression that being a prison gaurd is more preferred by a lot of people. They say it's financially more rewarding etc. For me though the gaurds is the goal, money shouldn't be a factor. Best of luck anyway lad. Anyone know roughly the salaries and benefits of being a gaurd.

Jaysus that's some dose on you missing out by just four spots. I'm under the impression that being a prison gaurd is more preferred by a lot of people. They say it's financially more rewarding etc. For me though the gaurds is the goal, money shouldn't be a factor. Best of luck anyway lad. Anyone know roughly the salaries and benefits of being a gaurd.

http://www.gra.cc/information.html

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Yeah annoying but what can you do doe...I've always preferred guard over prison officer mainly for the safety reasons along with your looking at living in Dublin for life as its very hard to get a transfer at least guards are flexible in that way also guards has always apealled to me from an early age the money isint a big worry for me I've no mortgage or kids to provide for ATM and still am very young at 22 and the money does and will improve and the guards will get there rent allowance back i done a prep course for both guards and prison officers and the guy over it stated the money will defintley go up,i can see where alot of older people applying and people with family's and mortgages are coming from doe as it would be very hard for them to survive and take a big hit financially. I've a mate of mine who's 27 no kids or mortgage who was driving trucks and taking in about €700 weekly and is now on starting garda wage and he doesn't mind he's doing what he wants to do and has great job security also which is a major factor for me trying to get in. With them taking on 3000 and only 5000 applying a few you could take off that already that wouldn't have even sat the test we all have a great chance probably one of the best times to try and get into the guards in a long time for everyone who applied so best of luck lads lets hope the majority of us on here hear good news and advance to the next stage ðŸ‘

Yeah annoying but what can you do doe...I've always preferred guard over prison officer mainly for the safety reasons along with your looking at living in Dublin for life as its very hard to get a transfer at least guards are flexible in that way also guards has always apealled to me from an early age the money isint a big worry for me I've no mortgage or kids to provide for ATM and still am very young at 22 and the money does and will improve and the guards will get there rent allowance back i done a prep course for both guards and prison officers and the guy over it stated the money will defintley go up,i can see where alot of older people applying and people with family's and mortgages are coming from doe as it would be very hard for them to survive and take a big hit financially. I've a mate of mine who's 27 no kids or mortgage who was driving trucks and taking in about €700 weekly and is now on starting garda wage and he doesn't mind he's doing what he wants to do and has great job security also which is a major factor for me trying to get in. With them taking on 3000 and only 5000 applying a few you could take off that already that wouldn't have even sat the test we all have a great chance probably one of the best times to try and get into the guards in a long time for everyone who applied so best of luck lads lets hope the majority of us on here hear good news and advance to the next stage ðŸ‘

3000 people will not be taken from this recruitment campaign. It'll be more in the region of 600-800

Which is a little less than a one in five chance. Better than previous campaigns!

Which is a little less than a one in five chance. Better than previous campaigns!

And remember you now have the invaluable experience of being through this process before.

Also many fail as a result of not having the correct educational requirements etc.
    So as long as you treat the assessment centre and Interview like your life depended on it then the odds are well in your favour.

Well this time next week hopefully we will know where we stand guys. I wish it was next week already. Hate this waiting game :(. Anyone want advice on the report writing for the next stage just PM me as I have been there before so I am hoping to get to the next stage as I have a serious bone to pick with the job simulation test ha ha, being out by just five marks to get to my interview and qualified on all the rest! I cannot recommend Career Services enough though to be fair guys very informative and there online portal is fantastic to. Well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

TallGlass wrote: »
    Yeah pretty much and any surplus left over will merge into the OOM of the new campaign.

What is OOM?

• Advertisement

Order of Merit. They rank everyone who passes the aptitude tests in order of their results. I think you might get a new number after the interview stage too. Your OOM number is the order they call you through the stages.

So after we get our results and oom they may call, say, 1-250 to stage 2. After they've completed it they might call 250-500 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

Same here. I applied for Guards years back. Was called straight to RDS in Dublin for testing. Got a dear John letter. Applied this time round, Sept group, and its way harder. Easier than prison service, but same layout. Multiple tests etc
    I'm 35 in 2 months so will be too old to ever apply again 😞

Had my heart set on prison service though, imagined myself in the job, so was very upset I barely scraped through and wasn't called.

Hopefully, I'll get into the Guards. I'd love the job.

User16 wrote: »

Had my heart set on prison service though, imagined myself in the job, so was very upset I barely scraped through and wasn't called.

Hopefully, I'll get into the Guards. I'd love the job.

I didn't apply for the prison service, but I was gutted not to get through the last Garda campaign.

Like you said, when you've imagined yourself doing the job it's a punch in the gut not to get through. Especially when you feel you'd be good at the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

So are we expecting news today or is Monday an unusual day to hear from PAS?

So are we expecting news today or is Monday an unusual day to hear from PAS?

Doubt it. Bit too early, Wednesday maybe but probably Friday

They also like Thursdays ;)

The weekends are so restful during campaigns because you don't expect to hear anything! Weekdays, on the other hand, drag.

I'm starting to get The Big Paranoia.

Asking myself stupid questions like "after you completed the tests, are you sure you pressed the button to submit it?"

Sweet love of jaysus this process will drive me to drink!

Just four more days hopefully :) hate this waiting game.

I'm starting to get The Big Paranoia.

Asking myself stupid questions like "after you completed the tests, are you sure you pressed the button to submit it?"

Sweet love of jaysus this process will drive me to drink!

Yeah second guessing yourself. Tell me about it. At least we'll know where we stand when we receive the results. It will be interesting now to see how fast this campaign will last under this accelerated campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lmarie2016

Hi everyone.. this wait is the worst:(
    I was just wondering if we are able to defer any stage... if I am successful could I defer stage two and if I got through to Templemore could I defer it to the following intake if needed.

I will be travelling from overseas to do stage 2- I was just wondering was anyone else in the same situation?

Advertisement