Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to prevent tendonitis/RSI??

• 08-09-2016 7:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

A couple of months back id pain in both arms the elbow area and had to go the physio which over the course of a month or 2 sorted it out, and it was fine for a while but now its starting to act up again?

Even doing minimum workouts and trying to have a rest day atleast between each i can still feel the nagging pain coming back..

Anyone else had this or have any tips for preventing it, any diet changes or stretching or anything really? its awful annoying and stopping me from working out as much as id like!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Did the physio give you any guidance on how to f ix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

My MRI came back with supraspinatus tendinopathy for me in the shoulder

Physio's workouts are spot on (majority pull exercises), but I got a bit cocky in the gym and tried to do some push exercises. pain came rushing back.

so a good physio's workout plan should be your rehab, if they arent working/painful tell him

I've gone from a lot of pain to real low weight exercises and worked up the weight. slow process but since yours is tendonitis, I am surprised it is resurfacing its head after two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Use a Powerball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Cupatae wrote: »
    A couple of months back id pain in both arms the elbow area and had to go the physio which over the course of a month or 2 sorted it out, and it was fine for a while but now its starting to act up again?

Even doing minimum workouts and trying to have a rest day atleast between each i can still feel the nagging pain coming back..

Anyone else had this or have any tips for preventing it, any diet changes or stretching or anything really? its awful annoying and stopping me from working out as much as id like!

Face your palm towards your shoulder and push the back of your hand with your other hand to your shoulder so you get a good stretch on your elbow. Do this regularly, I found it helped as I often got pain in my lift elbow during dips / benching and this helped alleviate it for me.

Rest also helps so try to not workout as much and cut back on your vigorous wánking regimen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

guile4582 wrote: »
    My MRI came back with supraspinatus tendinopathy for me in the shoulder

Physio's workouts are spot on (majority pull exercises), but I got a bit cocky in the gym and tried to do some push exercises. pain came rushing back.

so a good physio's workout plan should be your rehab, if they arent working/painful tell him

I've gone from a lot of pain to real low weight exercises and worked up the weight. slow process but since yours is tendonitis, I am surprised it is resurfacing its head after two months.

It was more RSI i think i thought they were pretty much the same thing tho, its no where near as a bad as what it was before, but its there none the less..im just being weary of it being as bad as before.

I did the physio alright and it fixed it completely i started off in the gym and slowly built my way up again and making sure id enough rest days she was thinking i was over doing it before.. i dunno its fair annoying!

• Advertisement

granty1987 wrote: »
    Use a Powerball?

whats that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

whats that ?

Powerball application for tennis elbow It's basically a ball with a gyroscope inside that rotates in the opposite direction that you move the ball. My friend swears by it for tennis elbow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

granty1987 wrote: »
    Powerball application for tennis elbow It's basically a ball with a gyroscope inside that rotates in the opposite direction that you move the ball. My friend swears by it for tennis elbow

i would be weary of this. the are quite powerful - doesn't seem like the right thing to do logically (but i aint a physio)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think they're more useful for carpal tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

It was more RSI i think i thought they were pretty much the same thing tho, its no where near as a bad as what it was before, but its there none the less..im just being weary of it being as bad as before.

I did the physio alright and it fixed it completely i started off in the gym and slowly built my way up again and making sure id enough rest days she was thinking i was over doing it before.. i dunno its fair annoying!

Tbh you say they phsyio fixed it completely yet the same pain is now coming back. I wouldn't say it was fixed completely then! Symptoms relieved yes, the the problem solved no. Get another opinion and try get to the root of the issue

In the mean time, get some floss band and YouTube how to apply it for tennis/golfers elbow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I suffer from inside tendinitis, and the only thing that truly worked was using a flexbar. I cannot stress how much this worked for me, I'd seriously seriously recommend it.

thehamo wrote: »
    Tbh you say they phsyio fixed it completely yet the same pain is now coming back. I wouldn't say it was fixed completely then! Symptoms relieved yes, the the problem solved no. Get another opinion and try get to the root of the issue

In the mean time, get some floss band and YouTube how to apply it for tennis/golfers elbow.

Thats true, i just thought once i could do everything i could before the injury that it was gone and happy days! ill go again and say it to em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Voodoo floss helped me out a lot. When tendinitis flares up in my elbow voodoo flossing gives almost instant relief.

Done regularly it helps a lot.
    That's not prevention tho, for me prevention is doing 1-2reps less than I think I'm capable of for any exercise that causes the issue.

Kelly starrett has a few good videos on YouTube about voodoo flossing.

Getting a lacrosse ball into the muscles of thr forearm helps me also.

Thsts my specific case and may have no bearing on your issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

It might be a particular exercise you are doing. For example, I noticed I was getting pain in my left elbow from doing single arm tricep extensions (from online research, this seems to be common enough). The pain would persist and got worse as the weeks went on until I realised that it was a direct result of doing this exercise. Once I stopped doing these and replaced them with different triceps exercises, the pain gradually went away.

The basic thing with Tendonitis is that the root cause is a repeated movement that is causing inflammation of the tendon - be it a movement that your body is not designed to be doing in the first place or a movement that your body should be able to do but cannot do effectively due to a weakness with posture. Eliminating whatever movement is causing it will stop the pain. Improving postural issues that are causing the excess strain on your tendon is the next step after that.

Advertisement