Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay off loan or keep savings

• 08-09-2016 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

I have a credit union loan and a credit card that I wish to pay off and close within the near future.

I have a couple of thousand saved in credit union and if I wish, I can shortly use this to pay off the loan and close the loan account. Then with the new available funds I could tackle the credit card debt and have it cleared within five months.

Or, is it better to hold onto the savings, continue paying the credit union loan for the next six months and then close loan account.

One half of me is saying to clear short term debt as fast as possible and then the other part of me wants to hold onto savings as back up...

Just don't know what to do!! What do you suggest is the best option? Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pay off your credit card first, then work on the credit union loan, it's far more interest than the credit union loan, probably twice as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

I have a credit union loan and a credit card that I wish to pay off and close within the near future.

I have a couple of thousand saved in credit union and if I wish, I can shortly use this to pay off the loan and close the loan account. Then with the new available funds I could tackle the credit card debt and have it cleared within five months.

Or, is it better to hold onto the savings, continue paying the credit union loan for the next six months and then close loan account.

One half of me is saying to clear short term debt as fast as possible and then the other part of me wants to hold onto savings as back up...

Just don't know what to do!! What do you suggest is the best option? Thanks...

Pay off the credit card first.

It will be costing you way more than the credit union loan.

When you have that cleared you can look at the rest.

Edit- Snap with A D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Agree - pay off credit card first and in future clear in full by monthly direct debit as interest rate is over 20%.

Advertisement