Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit Enquiry

Options
  • 08-09-2016 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

I recently acquired a room in a house in Cork, a house which the landlord did not live in. I paid the deposit up front and agreed that the first months rent would be due when I moved in, which I intended on being next week.

Unfortunately my circumstances have changed and I am now unable to rent out the room. The landlord has gone abroad for three weeks and has little access to internet or calls, his partner being my contact this week to arrange handover of keys. I rang her to tell her I would not be able to move in and inquired about getting my deposit back, she says she has nothing to do with it herself.

Seeing as I never signed a lease or moved into the house itself, how likely is it I will be able to get my deposit back? I could easily find someone to take my place in the house now but I assume I need to get the landlords permission to do so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

This is a difficult one. The deposit should cover any loss to the landlord but the landlord should mitigate the loss also. However the landlord being away complicates matters especially if their partner is unwilling to do anything beyond hand over keys.

Does his partner have contact with the landlord? Can you find a replacement and suggest that to them? I'd give an alternative to them and ask for the deposit back.

Advertisement