Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching music and business?

Options
  • 08-09-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Maybe a silly question, but when I was in school music and business were always on the same line (students could only do one or the other as they were run at the same time). I am currently doing a PME and will be able to teach business and accounting afterwards, but I really would love to also get enough credits to teach music down the line.
    But, was wondering if the subjects are incompatible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That was in one school. That's not the way all schools work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

alroley wrote: »
    Maybe a silly question, but when I was in school music and business were always on the same line (students could only do one or the other as they were run at the same time). I am currently doing a PME and will be able to teach business and accounting afterwards, but I really would love to also get enough credits to teach music down the line.
    But, was wondering if the subjects are incompatible?

Short answer = Yes, incompatible with 'getting' a job with those 2 subjects.
    Although I presume you'll be applying for jobs with your business qualifications first and foremost.

Most Business folk I've met have maths as the other subject. That's my experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

That was in one school. That's not the way all schools work.

I know not all schools will be this way, but both schools I attended had subjects grouped that way. I was wondering if that was the way the majority in the country do things. :)
    Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Short answer = Yes, incompatible with 'getting' a job with those 2 subjects.
    Although I presume you'll be applying for jobs with your business qualifications first and foremost.

Most Business folk I've met have maths as the other subject. That's my experience though.

Eh, thought so :o

I figured with the way jobs are at the moment, business and accounting won't be enough and I'll need a third subject. I loved music in school and still play now so thought it would be a great option if it would work with business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Even they way you stand now it could be quite likely that you could be given music classes anyway. Although I'd recommend getting more music credits to be fully recognised. It's also very difficult to get music subs. It would be an unusual combination but anything goes these days. I've seen all sorts of odd combinations on job adverts.

Advertisement