Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Termination Of Rental - Landlord Selling

Options
  • 08-09-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

After 3yrs, landlord is pulling plug and selling up and I got 2 months or less to find another place.

Problem is cash - I cant get the money together for a deposit and 1st month rent elsewhere by still paying for here. Never once had the landlord to darken my step seeking rent or from causing problems and I get this. Im outraged, pi**ed off ...

I feel like cancelling standing order for the next two months rent in order to find somewhere else, which Im being forced too.

Any ideas people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I feel like cancelling standing order for the next two months rent in order to find somewhere else, which Im being forced too.

Any ideas people?

The landlord is entitled to end a lease to sell, no point in being outraged.

Withholding rent is illegal and cannot be advocated on here.

You should get your deposit back so essentially you need a short term loan, try your bank? Or family?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Greywolverine

Heads up my arse - True, never thought of banks. Pity I gave up on my credit union years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

You said you have less than 2 months, is that because your lease is up then? If you've been resident for 3 years they have to give you more notice than that, I think it's something like 117 days if you're under part 4. Look up the residential tenancy act it has the legal notice requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Greywolverine

Yes, got email off estate agent. no physical signed document arrived yet. I'll extend it when it arrives

But cheers, will have a looksee about that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Clampdown wrote: »
    You said you have less than 2 months, is that because your lease is up then? If you've been resident for 3 years they have to give you more notice than that, I think it's something like 117 days if you're under part 4. Look up the residential tenancy act it has the legal notice requirement.

I think it's 12 weeks notice for a tenancy of 3 and 4 years.

Yup, added:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I heard that they can evict with much less notice if they're selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I heard that they can evict with much less notice if they're selling.
    Yes,you are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Yes you're wrong. Google part four tenancies and notice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Selling the property is one of the few reasons a part 4 tenancy can be ended early (before the end of the fourth year). Notice periods still apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Apologies; just checked there. Sorry to hear about your situation as well, OP. You could always ask Threshold for help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

OP, have a look at http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html If you are over three years in your current rental you should have received 84 days notice. There are also other conditions listed for the notice to be valid.

If finding a new place to rent quick enough is a problem it might be worth contacting Threshold for advice as it would appear the notice received might not meet all the necessary conditions to be valid. If this is the case then valid notice would have to be given and the notice period would only start from when this valid notice of termination is received.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OP is it over or under 3 years. 2 months would be right if it's just under 3 years.

Advertisement