Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screw-in 'only' bulbs on sale in Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, etc...

Options
  • 08-09-2016 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

So I was in Tesco today looking for a new bulb for the landing light, 60watt or LED equivalent would do, yet they don't sell them with a standard bayonet fitting anymore :confused:

I haven't seen a house yet with screw-in ceiling light fittings, so why the push towards screw-in only light bulbs? Surely most houses have the standard 'bayonet' light fittings on their ceilings, so why the exclusive sale of screw bulbs in Tesco? :confused:

Are we expected to change all our ceiling light fittings?

What's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Edison is a better (more solid) mount. Rest of the EU mainly use it AFAIK. Selling to 25 countries gives better economies of scale than selling to two.

We should probably abandon the B22 standard just as we should drive on the right but changing such things is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Woodies have bayonet for most ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

ED E wrote: »
    Edison is a better (more solid) mount. Rest of the EU mainly use it AFAIK. Selling to 25 countries gives better economies of scale than selling to two.

We should probably abandon the B22 standard just as we should drive on the right but changing such things is hard.

The reality is that 99.9% of Irish homews are fitted with bayonet (ceiling) light fittings!

So the rest of Europe may indeed have different fittings, but where does that leave us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

I know Ikea & Woodies have normal bulbs, but the question relates to the supermarkets and their recent abandoning of the standard Irish/British bayonet light bulb :(

All I wanted was a 60w bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ED E wrote: »

That may well be but it doesn't solve the problem for those of us with a house full of bayonet fittings and no stock in the supermarkets were we usually buy bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The DIY stores (Woodies, Homebase etc) seem to be the best now for bayonet fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Newer tech LED and CFLs don't appear to even be made in bayonet, or are much dearer. Set of converters - 2.50 for 2 in IKEA - is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Dealz have them. €1.50 for two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

The Tesco website has loads of bayonet bulbs anyway, presumably the stores do too.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Newer tech LED and CFLs don't appear to even be made in bayonet, or are much dearer. Set of converters - 2.50 for 2 in IKEA - is well worth it.

LEDs, Halogens & CFLs are indeed made with traditional bayonet fittings (Woodies are full of them), but it's the supermarket's that seem to have stopped stocking the traditional fitting bulbs, hence my question.

I have no intention of changing all my light fittings, neither will I buy adaptors for the whole house.

LordSutch wrote: »
    LEDs, Halogens & CFLs are indeed made with traditional bayonet fittings (Woodies are full of them)

Generally older generations of them, though. Go actually look at the the numbers on them (lumens/watt etc). Your "60w equivalent" is going to use more power in the niche, older generation bayonet packaging.
    I have no intention of changing all my light fittings, neither will I buy adaptors for the whole house.

Suit yourself. You're going to cost yourself money and have convenience issues, though.
    mackeire wrote: »
    Dealz have them. €1.50 for two.

Absolute and utter junk, though. If the bayonet bulbs that the hardware stores half are a generation out in tech, these are three or four and likely severe fire hazards (the LED ones)

The Tesco website has loads of bayonet bulbs anyway, presumably the stores do too.

No they don't. Certainly my local Tesco Express doesn't stock traditional bayonet light bulbs.

I presume this is Brussels putting pressure on us to conform with the EU standard?

I presume this is Brussels putting pressure on us to conform with the EU standard?

No, its market forces. Very few countries use bayonets, lots use edison screws. Bayonet bulbs were actually made in Ireland but modern ones are not, hence we import them and most bulbs made worldwide are edison screw.

As a consumer why should I fork out for new fittings or new adaptors? The bayonets are fine, and sixty five million people use them next door in the UK. I am also told that screw bulbs are more prone to getting loose over the years, hence they begin to flicker and must be periodically re-tightened. Bayonet bulbs cannot become loose in their fittings.

Anyway, I refuse to comply with Brussels. I'm sticking with bayonets.Tesco's loss is Woodies gain :)

As a consumer why should I fork out for new fittings or new adaptors?

Because the bayonet bulbs are inferior, harder to find and cost more to run due to being niche older technology?

One trip out of your way to get bulbs = the cost of the adapters. A period of time using them, depending on the bulbs in question = the cost of the adapters.
    The bayonets are fine, and sixty five million people use them next door in the UK.

You'll find people on UK forums making the same complaints about poor supply.
    I am also told that scdew bulbs are more prone to getting loose over the years, hence they begin to flicker and must be re-tightened over the years. Bayonet bulbs cannot become loose in their fittings.

And bayonet bulbs are prone to falling out entirely if there's even minor vibration. Neither happens often.
    Anyway, I refuse to comply with Brussels. I'm sticking with bayonets.Tesco's loss is Woodies gain :)

You're just inventing excuses now. The EU, the state of Belgium, the city of Brussels - whichever you intended there - has nothing to do with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

No they don't. Certainly my local Tesco Express doesn't stock traditional bayonet light bulbs.

Tesco Express. There's your issue right there.

Because the bayonet bulbs are inferior, harder to find and cost more to run due to being niche older technology?

OK ok, I hear what you're saying, and you are obviously arguing on behalf of the screw-in bulb + fittings, but on a purely practical level, surely the thought of every house in the land changing every ceiling fitting is a massive undertaking, which will take many years ... each house would on average have at least eight light ceiling fittings,which would need to be replaced, > for no other reason than the fact that a different fitting is available (and being pushed in the supermarkets) :cool:

Its just such a hassle, all I wanted was a 60w bulb, and now I'm being told that I need to get all new light fittings throughout my house! Go away Tesco, I will shop elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Pim Pictus

Luddism will only lead to a future of frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Trouble is you go in and buy a load of other stuff you don't need!

• Advertisement

I wish we changed our plugs too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I've similarly looked for these bulbs in both Tesco and Dunnes, to no avail. I recently bought a big load of them in Galaxy Lighting on Oliver Plunkett Street in Cork. It's not too much hassle, and it's good to support local businesses.

The original poster is totally right - it's impractical for large corporations to only stock bulbs that the majority of households can't use. I would be surprised that anybody is arguing otherwise in the thread, but for the fact that the internet is full of belligerent loudmouths.
    Pim Pictus wrote: »
    Luddism will only lead to a future of frustration.
    It's also good to note that ad hominem attacks never add any strength to an argument, while speaking volumes about those spewing them. How is somebody a luddite for refusing to change all the lightbulb fittings in their house because Tesco don't sell that variety. That is utterly preposterous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Pim Pictus

I've similarly looked for these bulbs in both Tesco and Dunnes, to no avail. I recently bought a big load of them in Galaxy Lighting on Oliver Plunkett Street in Cork. It's not too much hassle, and it's good to support local businesses.

The original poster is totally right - it's impractical for large corporations to only stock bulbs that the majority of households can't use. I would be surprised that anybody is arguing otherwise in the thread, but for the fact that the internet is full of belligerent loudmouths.

It's also good to note that ad hominem attacks never add any strength to an argument, while speaking volumes about those spewing them. How is somebody a luddite for refusing to change all the lightbulb fittings in their house because Tesco don't sell that variety. That is utterly preposterous.

I wasn't particularly having a go at the op. Just saying that there is generally a benefit to embracing new technology. In this case the op could save himself quite a bit of money for quite a small outlay by buying some adapters and get some led bulbs. That's all.

Pim Pictus wrote: »
    I wasn't particularly having a go at the op. Just saying that there is generally a benefit to embracing new technology. In this case the op could save himself quite a bit of money for quite a small outlay by buying some adapters and get some led bulbs. That's all.

LED bulbs are great, specially if they are @2700 kelvin (warm white), and I have several in the house already, all with bayonet fittings ...
    I can't really say anymore, I've had my rant and I disagree with the supermarkets selling screw bulbs (exclisively) even though most Irish houses are equipped & fitted with bayonet light fittings!

Its a bit like the new EU Vacuum cleaner rule that forbids the shops from selling anything over 1600 watts, for no other reason than because the EU say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It has become very difficult to source mantles for gas lights.

Call people belligerent loudmouths. Complain about ad hominem.

You may want to find some consistency in your arguments

LED bulbs are great, specially if they are @2700 kelvin (warm white), and I have several in the house already, all with bayonet fittings ...
    I can't really say anymore, I've had my rant and I disagree with the supermarkets selling screw bulbs (exclisively) even though most Irish houses are equipped & fitted with bayonet light fittings!

Its a bit like the new EU Vacuum cleaner rule that forbids the shops from selling anything over 1600 watts, for no other reason than because the EU say so.

Except the EU has nothing to do with it, no matter how often you say they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am not sure why LordSuch is getting such aggravation about the light bulbs, I completely agree about the availability of bayonet bulbs. There is nothing luddite about not wanting to change all the fitments in the house just 'because'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

What evidence have you that supermarkets have started selling screw bulbs exclusively. It sounds like you are basing this on one Tesco express.

Loads of shops sell all sorts of lightbulbs.

I have a mixture of ES, SES, and BC in my house in different sizes and I have to go to different shops to buy bulbs as there is no one shop that sells all of them. I'm not blaming the EU, though.

• Advertisement

I am making a mental note to only use screw in light fittings when I build a house next year.

Didn't there used to be two types of plugs and sockets in Ireland?

Advertisement