Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screw-in 'only' bulbs on sale in Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, etc...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Regardless of which format 'wins' the imaginary battle, the fact remains that there are millions of BC light fittings in Irish homes, most of them are in bedrooms and bathrooms and will never be changed so there will be a market for BC bulbs for many years to come.

There's no doubt that if you buy a new chandelier for the hall or the lounge or a new table or bedside lamp, it will almost certainly take ES bulbs but BC still rules the roost when it comes to the ceiling lights in bedrooms and bathrooms and will continue to do so for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

coylemj wrote: »
    Regardless of which format 'wins' the imaginary battle, the fact remains that there are millions of BC light fittings in Irish homes, most of them are in bedrooms and bathrooms and will never be changed so there will be a market for BC bulbs for many years to come.

There's no doubt that if you buy a new chandelier for the hall or the lounge or a new table or bedside lamp, it will almost certainly take ES bulbs but BC still rules the roost when it comes to the ceiling lights in bedrooms and bathrooms and will continue to do so for a long time.

Converters are 75 cents in Ikea.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Converters are 75 cents in Ikea.

Almost all of my BC bulbs are long life, I think I only changed one in the past 12 months. Why would I bother with adapters when there's a ready supply of replacement BC bulbs in the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Almost all of my BC bulbs are long life, I think I only changed one in the past 12 months.
    Worth making the change when they go.
    Probably worth making the change anyway if someone doesn't currently have LEDs.
    Why would I bother with adapters when there's a ready supply of replacement BC bulbs in the shops?
    I don't mean to be snippy, but I think you're missing the point of this thread...

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Worth making the change when they go.
    Probably worth making the change anyway if someone doesn't currently have LEDs.

I don't mean to be snippy, but I think you're missing the point of this thread...

This is a classic case of a solution in search of a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is a classic case of a solution in search of a problem.

There is a problem - there is very short supply of bayonet cap bulbs - hence this entire thread.

Additionally, there are newer technology, higher efficiency bulbs available in screw cap than bayonet cap.

Bayonet caps are a niche, out-dated system in a global market - and we don't have any domestic manufacturing of scale for bulbs anymore.

L1011 wrote: »
    There is a problem - there is very short supply of bayonet cap bulbs - hence this entire thread.

'Very short supply' :confused: Maybe you should read back over the last two pages of posts, I see posters reporting on Dunnes, Woodies, Aldi and Delaz selling BC bulbs. And I'm sceptical on the report that claims Tesco have stopped selling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

'Very short supply' :confused: Maybe you should read back over the last two pages of posts, I see posters reporting on Dunnes, Woodies, Aldi and Delaz selling BC bulbs. And I'm sceptical on the report that claims Tesco have stopped selling them.

The problem seems to be the retailers seeing both ES and BC fitting bulbs available to stock just go for half of each when in fact they sell more BC bulbs.

The result is he BC's sell out leaving the ES on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They may have some in stock but not the quantity or range desired, hence the complaints. Tesco have them in stock sporadically.

I suspect if there'd been an equivalent of boards (and the public internet) in the 1950s we'd see similar complaints of "don't they know that there's hundreds of thousands* of round pin plug sockets in houses?" as round pin plugs went in to short supply despite sockets being common. Times change. And you can still get round pin plugs, if you look and are dead-set on using them.

*considering most houses had very few plugs, and sometimes none in bedrooms, it might not have been millions.

They may have some in stock but not the quantity or range desired, hence the complaints. Tesco have them in stock sporadically.

I can see that the range of BC bulbs will shrink over time but TBH all that people with BC fittings need is 40/60/75/100W (equivalent incandescent) golf ball bulbs and they'll be happy. And I can't see that supply drying up in the next 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Additionally, there are newer technology, higher efficiency bulbs available in screw cap than bayonet cap.

Bayonet caps are a niche, out-dated system in a global market - and we don't have any domestic manufacturing of scale for bulbs anymore.

There's no short supply. Some shops had only screw fittings. But there are lots of bayonet available. Tesco here has them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

There's no short supply. Some shops had only screw fittings. But there are lots of bayonet available. Tesco here has them.

Well the two nearest Tesco's to me don't, hence the beginning of this thread.....

At this stage I guess we've covered every angle.

BC pendant fittings still installed in most Irish houses.
    BC bulbs increasingly becoming more scarce the shops.
    Shops to favour screw bulbs rather than BC bulbs.
    Electricians to keep installing BC pendant fittings.
    Retailers continue to reduce their BC bulb supplies.
    New builds to continue being fitted with BC pendants.

Consumer scratches head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Consumer scratches head at the awkward BC and GU10 fittings in their houses and wishes for something that wasn't prone to old bulbs getting stuck.

Advertisement