Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best current account deals in Ireland

• 08-09-2016 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

I am moving to Ireland from UK and found out about the banking charges and min account deposit by searching Irish banks website .

In UK most of the banking is free and we are nit required to maintain a mim balance to avoide banking charges . Are there any good deals from banks in Ireland which does not charge customers for day to day banking ?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Maybe have a look at EBS's money manager account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Maybe have a look at EBS's money manager account.

+1 Lodge at least €1,500 each month (you can take it out the next or same day) and you get up to 5 ATM withdrawals per month, unlimited SOs and DDs, online money transfers and no fees but no mobile app and no chequebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭spuddy

You could also take a look at KBC's Extra a/c. Same idea as EBS, albeit with a higher minimum deposit, but you get all the "mod cons" (apps, contactless payments etc) which goes some way to making up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

KBC Extra, as well as a better app experience than EBS, gives you access to higher deposit rates and no ATM usage restrictions like there are with EBS.

If you can manage to lodge 2,500 EUR a month, I would choose KBC Extra over EBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 uma103

Thank you for all your advise.
    One more thing i would like to ask - I got offered a job in Ireland and will have to apply for a pps numberonce i start, As per my understanding I can only apply for bank account once i get the pps number .

I can manage 2500 EUR a month in the account but how that will work ? do i need to take 2500 EUR cash and deposit on the day i open the account because if i transfer it form UK it can take few days for bank transfer , also my salary cannot transfer on my IE account until account is open . So if for few days my account is less then 2500 EUR or nil will i get charged all the fee for the full quarter or banks provide grace period when open the account ?

Thank You .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Once you lodge the minimum amount at any stage within the month, you should be fine.

This link may be useful for the OP - applying for a PPS number ....

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-How-to-Apply.aspx

uma103 wrote: »
    Thank you for all your advise.
    One more thing i would like to ask - I got offered a job in Ireland and will have to apply for a pps numberonce i start, As per my understanding I can only apply for bank account once i get the pps number .

I can manage 2500 EUR a month in the account but how that will work ? do i need to take 2500 EUR cash and deposit on the day i open the account because if i transfer it form UK it can take few days for bank transfer , also my salary cannot transfer on my IE account until account is open . So if for few days my account is less then 2500 EUR or nil will i get charged all the fee for the full quarter or banks provide grace period when open the account ?

Thank You .

KBC offer a grace period after you open a KBC Extra account before the 2,500 EUR minimum rule kicks in.

Sometimes bank accounts can be open without a PPS number provided a PPS number is provided shortly after account opening. Probably best sorting a PPS number first but if you are stuck you could contact KBC and discuss your options.

OK that make perfect sense. Thank you very much for all your help .

One more question for PPS , do i need to have evidence of address in Ireland ? for first 3 months i will be staying in hotel provided by my employer... so this mean i cannot have pps until i sort accommodation for myself ?

Thank you

I don't think living in a hotel should interfere with you getting a PPS number.

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Evidence of Address in Ireland is a requirement for getting PPS number , or if they accept hotel receipts as evidence of address. [/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭spuddy

KBC also specifically target individuals such as yourself moving to Ireland. I don't know the situation with regard to providing a PPS number, but might be worth checking out the t&c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

A letter from your employer stating that you work for them and they are putting you up at <hotel's name and address> should work for your proof of address for your PPS number.

I was able to open an account with Bank of Ireland using my US address before I moved here, and I had no PPS number at the time. I imagine that other banks may have different policies about foreigners or folks without PPS numbers opening accounts, though, so you'd want to give your bank of choice a call to ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Just to be clear. KBC have a minimum monthly lodgement amount of 2500 not a minimum balance. That means that in order to get free banking you only need to make a total of 2500 in lodgements during the calendar month. You do not have to maintain a balance of 2500.

You could start the month with a balance of zero, lodge 2500 a week later and withdraw it the same day and you have then satisfied the criteria for the month. The lodgement does not have to be in one lump sum either. You can make several smaller lodgements and withdrawals throughout the month. As long as the total of all the lodgements adds up to 2500 or greater you have again met the criteria. It does not matter what your actual balance is.

dennyk wrote: »
    A letter from your employer stating that you work for them and they are putting you up at should work for your proof of address for your PPS number.

I was able to open an account with Bank of Ireland using my US address before I moved here, and I had no PPS number at the time. I imagine that other banks may have different policies about foreigners or folks without PPS numbers opening accounts, though, so you'd want to give your bank of choice a call to ask them.

Did you manage to get pps number without evidence address when you moved to Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

uma103 wrote: »
    Did you manage to get pps number without evidence address when you moved to Ireland ?

I actually had permanent accommodations already arranged when I arrived here, so that wasn't an issue for me. I know that a letter from your employer is sufficient for proof of address, though, even if you aren't staying in property owned by your employer, so a letter from them specifying what hotel you are staying at should suffice. (Of course, once you do move into permanent accommodations, you'll need to contact them to update your address on file.)

Advertisement