Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do all your DL'ers use for your car insurance?

Options
  • 08-09-2016 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭

Had an absolutely scandalous renewal today and was wondering who did you find the most reasonable when you last renewed?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Allianz is who I use currently, cheapest for me, though not by much.

I had used Quinn and later Liberty for years, then about a year or 2 after Liberty took over, their prices went through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

fyi, I have tried Chill, Supervalu, 123, Blue and FBD so far, and the latter is by far the best.
    Still high but a lot less than some of the others.

Will keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

123.ie for a few years. This past two years its been cheapest with pat britton Donegal town and o dowd Donnelly carbin Donegal town. It's really worth taking a day and getting on the phone and laptop to work the best deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

This years renewal was €200 more than last years with Liberty. After much ringing around, the AA got the €200 off with Allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

found AA, Allianz and Aviva to be my top 3 the last 3 years... each has had a turn, although should have stuck with Allianz this year. I had told them remove a few things to bring the price down and didnt realise until the offer came out in writing they left them in :( So worth doing early as possible! basically ran through everyone and rang the 3 cheapest... decent gap. Still ended up paying +100 on last year, although the renewal was +200.

i know a good few with o'dowd donnelly carbin though so probably worth a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I've not looked into it properly yet cause my renewal isn't up till January but I've read and been told that there are ways to get your car insurance from outside of Ireland from a country like France. It works along the lines of using a company that would insure hire cars both here and abroad, therefore legal compliance is cleared. It's definitely worth looking into and we may aswell try and make being all super close Europeans to our advantage for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Been with RSA via 123.ie for a good few years. Went up from €500 to €860 this year and I couldn't even shop around because I had an open claim from a Whiplash special.

The price increase isn't too bad considering the claim, but I recently followed up with RSA and found that the claim was finally closed in March, just before my renewal date, so I WOULD have been able to price around except neither 123 nor RSA bothered their arse to inform me.

I complained to them and they sent me a cheque for €100!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

http://www.brittoninsurance.ie/

Based in Donegal town too.

water-man wrote: »
    http://www.brittoninsurance.ie/

Based in Donegal town too.

Thats who I'm with presently, and who sent me the crazy renewal.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Doesn't look like things will get better any time soon either:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/motor-insurance-increases-not-finished-yet-420153.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My insurance is due for renewal next week and I did a lot of shopping around for quotations (mostly online) and the cheapest was €562 with the dearest being €1130. Thats fully comp with full NCB protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Was with Britton who decided to use the old 'increase the premium by 66% despite no claims penalty points, convictions and the same car' and hope the customer simply pays it. With Allianz now who came in with the same price I'd paid last year, so 66% cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I drive an electric car too which limits my options.

Some insurers just don't know what to do with them.

Even when I first bought it, 123.ie tried to change my premium from €570 to €1200 for some reason and insisted it was right. Eventually I went high enough up the ladder until someone figured out that they had made an error in their classification of the Leaf.

They dropped it to €500 instead.

Muffler, who was the 562 quote with?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I live in Sligo but have used ODowd Donnelly Carbin for the last three renewals.

490 this year, only two quotes that came even close this year were BOI (slightly cheaper) and a Sligo Broker at €50 more. Next cheapest was FBD at 700 odd, right through to Liberty at around 12/1300.

Fully Comp, with 5 years NCB.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Muffler, who was the 562 quote with?
    The actual insurers are Zurich but the brokers are insuremyhouse.ie

The odd thing is that when the actual hard copies of the documents arrived by post they were from coverinaclick.ie but having checked their website I see it provides links back to the first one again.

Funny story about this in a way. I was watching something on RTE a few weeks and there was either an ad for or the programme was sponsored by insuremyhome.ie. I noted their number and give them a call for a quote for house insurance as it was up last week. They give me a very good quote so I took the cover with them.

They then asked me if I had a car and when was the insurance due for renewal so when I mentioned it was up near mid Sept they give me a quote for it which was 562. I hadnt began shopping around anywhere else at this point so had no idea if the quote was good or bad. Turns out it was the best I got.

So I have switched both my car and house insurance and it all started with watching the TV.....the power of advertising :)

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    right through to Liberty at around 12/1300.
    ...and Liberty were about the second or third cheapest quote I got :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

muffler wrote: »
    ...and Liberty were about the second or third cheapest quote I got :confused:

Its bizarre. Liberty have never quoted me under a grand. Most I have ever paid after deductions is €7-800.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Its bizarre.
    Most certainly is.

Cant recall if its 2 or 3 years ago but having got a good few quotes online one night I got the usual couple of follow up calls the next day. The AA were one of the cheapest and while the price weighed in at €475 they agreed to do it for 400 after a wee bit of haggling on my part :pac: so I took that. They told me the cover would be with Axa.

20 minutes later Axa rang me as I had been on their website also the previous night. Again the price was 475 and after some more haggling the Axa rep said the very, very cheapest she could do it for was €440

So the AA were able to provide me with the identical cover from Axa for €40 less than Axa themselves. Bearing in mind that the AA weren't doing it at a loss it just shows the tricks and the profits that are made by some of these rip off merchants.

muffler wrote: »
    Most certainly is.

Cant recall if its 2 or 3 years ago but having got a good few quotes online one night I got the usual couple of follow up calls the next day. The AA were one of the cheapest and while the price weighed in at €475 they agreed to do it for 400 after a wee bit of haggling on my part :pac: so I took that. They told me the cover would be with Axa.

20 minutes later Axa rang me as I had been on their website also the previous night. Again the price was 475 and after some more haggling the Axa rep said the very, very cheapest she could do it for was €440

So the AA were able to provide me with the identical cover from Axa for €40 less than Axa themselves. Bearing in mind that the AA weren't doing it at a loss it just shows the tricks and the profits that are made by some of these rip off merchants.

Exact same thing happened me a couple of years ago, I guess one crowd needs its commission and can't waive it.

As for insuremyhome, I went to their website but no option to look for car insurance, yet. I emailed them to see if they would offer me a quote.

• Advertisement

Just got a quote from AIG foe 837, or 667 with the driving app in use.

I tried AIG cos I heard a very enticing radio advert for their car insurance on the commute this morning, but of course not as great when you actually get a quote. I must not fit their demographic.

Edit: some more quotes this morning:

AXA 725
    AA (Value) 633, AA (Motor, StepBack) 673, AA (Motor, Full) 737.

As for insuremyhome, I went to their website but no option to look for car insurance, yet. I emailed them to see if they would offer me a quote.
    They probably will contact you but if you click on the "other products" tab it takes you to another page where you will find a link here for car insurance quotes

Edit/ my business with them was all done by phone so maybe that's the best approcah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

I tried AIG cos I heard a very enticing radio advert for their car insurance on the commute this morning, but of course not as great when you actually get a quote. I must not fit their demographic.
    tried AIG too and they were no where close on the quotes, same for liberty.
    Actually tried itsforwomen.ie 2 years ago and they were too far off... bare in mind they cant legally refuse a man, just a bit of advertising to get the safer demographic! (this year again no where near)

Some further updates:

Liberty €1126 (don't think I'll ever try them again, they have always been sky high for me, just like Mint Sauce)
    An Post €582

Some further updates:

Liberty €1126 (don't think I'll ever try them again, they have always been sky high for me, just like Mint Sauce)
    An Post €582
    Goes to show you the craziness of the whole insurance set up. Liberty were actually just a tenner dearer than my lowest quote but as I wanted to spread the cost over a few months that difference increased significantly. However I will be giving them a shout next year for a quote.

An Post insurance is just 123 re-labelled. A month ago when getting quotes I got one from 123 which wasnt bad at around €620 I think. The same day I got a quote from An Post for €770 with the url showing 123.ie in the address. :eek:

An Post = 123?

I already had a quote from them and it was certainly more expensive than 582.

An Post = 123?
    Yes afaik they are one and the same. Im fairly sure that I read that in one of the may items of junk mail that I get from them. They said that they would now be known as An Post insurance but 123.ie is still trading under that name though.

In relation to the link in the url I meant to say one direct and not 123 as can be seen here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

Did some work for O'Malley Scanlon Insurance brokers in Ballybofey a couple of years ago; decided to give them a shout my when insurance was up, came up trumps, have car, business van & premisis with them since.

http://www.insurancedonegal.com/

Used to be with o'malley, must give them a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ReginaC

Liberty insurance doing a good deal online, apply for insurance quote online and get a 3 month discount, only if you apply for the insurance online. First Direct also very reasonable 👍🏻 (broker)

Advertisement