Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitments

• 08-09-2016 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

I've just applied for the Gardai Trainee position they advertised on publicjobs.is

Has anyone else applied? How did you find the process?

I'd forgotten half my employment details and education details. Had to root around the house to find my leaving cert results and college results. All in all, application submitted. Fingers cross

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Mod

Hi OP,

I've moved your post to a more appropriate location where you'll get better responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

Unfortunately I haven't been able to apply yet - I've downloaded the latest version of Adobe but it still won't let me open the PDF form.

Presumably the next step is aptitude tests as in previous campaigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Welcome, this'll be my second and hopefully last campaign.
    Haven't submitted my application yet, I want to spend a little longer on this new interview form that they didn't have last year.

Some important dates for your calendar;

29-09-16 = Closing date for applications

07-10-16 = Start of stage 1 online tests

7th to the 25th of November = Stage 2 supervised tests

8-12-16 onwards = Interviews, medical, physical

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mandymo

i'm a 31 year old female, not too great with the irish...but applied anyway

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Welcome, this'll be my second and hopefully last campaign.
    Haven't submitted my application yet, I want to spend a little longer on this new interview form that they didn't have last year.

Some important dates for your calendar;

29-09-16 = Closing date for applications

07-10-16 = Start of stage 1 online tests

7th to the 25th of November = Stage 2 supervised tests

8-12-16 onwards = Interviews, medical, physical

Thanks for that. It's my second campaign too. I failed job sim back in March this year so hoping to rectify that this time around.

I'm female and around the same age as you Mandy. Did you pass Irish at leaving cert? If so don't worry about the Irish. All they look for is s pass and there are Irish classes down in Templemore.

• Advertisement

misslemon wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It's my second campaign too. I failed job sim back in March this year so hoping to rectify that this time around.

I'm female and around the same age as you Mandy. Did you pass Irish at leaving cert? If so don't worry about the Irish. All they look for is s pass and there are Irish classes down in Templemore.

Failed Job sim myself, I know how it feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mandymo

Yes I passed Irish at ordinary level got a B2. Fingers crossed for you second time round 😊

Failed Job sim myself, I know how it feels.

Do you have any ideas on how to improve that? I'm planning to do a course anyway.

I knew I'd messed it up walking out of the test centre.

Do you have any ideas on how to improve that? I'm planning to do a course anyway.

PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 andrewkiely

PM

Failed sim myself folks! Hard pill to swallow. For the application form, I assume the name and ID number at the top is for office use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Guys I got a C3 I think in irish at foundation level,
    also failed a 3rd language, done very well in everything else I just suck at languages,

Is their any point in me applying?

Failed sim myself folks! Hard pill to swallow. For the application form, I assume the name and ID number at the top is for office use?

Unless they mean your number given to you by public jobs? Hopefully someone who knows more can clarify for you.

I was gutted when I failed job sim. Didn't think we'd get a chance to resit so soon. I thought the next drive would be 2018. It was a nice surprise to get the email on Thursday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

Unless they mean your number given to you by public jobs? Hopefully someone who knows more can clarify for you.

I was gutted when I failed job sim. Didn't think we'd get a chance to resit so soon. I thought the next drive would be 2018. It was a nice surprise to get the email on Thursday :)

For anyone who didn't pass the job sim, I know exactly how it feels! This time last year I was knocked out by the job sim and now a year later I'm heading to Templemore in November!

Best of luck to everyone in the new campaign!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Im pretty sure its the candidate ID thats on your publicjobs profile? Anyone else able to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭brianp20

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    also failed a 3rd language, done very well in everything else I just suck at languages,

I'm in a similar position. I always struggled with Irish, apart from that I got a really good leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Guys im trying to continue my application but it says its not an adobe PDF file how do i do this ? I literally clicked the link filled in the details but after that when i upload the file and hit continue it says its not a PDF file

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Also i have a decent leaving cert with pass in 3 languages English,French and Irish also have 2 honour passes in geography and ag science along with passing biology and cspe unfortunately failed maths will this effect me?all it says for educational requirements is 5 passes and 2 language's which i have plan on repeating maths externally so don't know should i say pass or fail by time if i was lucky to be called id have my maths got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Also i have a decent leaving cert with pass in 3 languages English,French and Irish also have 2 honour passes in geography and ag science along with passing biology and cspe unfortunately failed maths will this effect me?all it says for educational requirements is 5 passes and 2 language's which i have plan on repeating maths externally so don't know should i say pass or fail by time if i was lucky to be called id have my maths got.

You'll be fine. Put down fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AiB123

Guys - failed job sim last time around so back here again.
    Quick question with the new form - worked on and off since finishing school (just finished final year in college now) but did ye put down every job ye had from leaving school? And did ye do separate sections for all periods of unemployment?

AiB123 wrote: »
    Guys - failed job sim last time around so back here again.
    Quick question with the new form - worked on and off since finishing school (just finished final year in college now) but did ye put down every job ye had from leaving school? And did ye do separate sections for all periods of unemployment?

Yeah i filled it out in it's entirety. Every job since i finished school + any periods of unemployment. Leave nothing out as it may hold you up further down the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 lindseys12

Just applied again this applied in 2013 got to band 2 and then missed my email to do stage 2... gutted hopefully I pass next week and get the process moving along again very different to the last drive any tips from anybody to help me through

lindseys12 wrote: »
    Just applied again this applied in 2013 got to band 2 and then missed my email to do stage 2... gutted hopefully I pass next week and get the process moving along again very different to the last drive any tips from anybody to help me through

I applied in the last drive (January 2016). I failed job sim in stage 2. Fingers crossed for both of us this time :)

That was fast I applied in 2013 and didn't get asked to do stage 2 until 2015 ragin I missed it even for the experience of it hopefully this year is a bit closer together.. I'm afraid to ask what the job sim is like

lindseys12 wrote: »
    That was fast I applied in 2013 and didn't get asked to do stage 2 until 2015 ragin I missed it even for the experience of it hopefully this year is a bit closer together.. I'm afraid to ask what the job sim is like

I did no prep for job sim, I think that's why I got caught out. There's a good thread here called "Job Simulation Tips" which is really helpful.

They're supposed to be fast-tracking this recruitment, but with everything happening with the strikes we'll have to wait and see.

I'll check that out now thanks Well when I applied in 2013/2014 there was 5 stages so it's down a stage already it's totally different kind of winging it this time new a lot more about it back then just applied this time then realised how different it was lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭wlynch1984

Hi guys, I completed my stage 1 apptitude tests last week. provided I passed and get to stage 2. what happens at the assessment center?
    a, are the aptitude tests the exact same?
    b, whats the failure rate with the report writing test, how difficult is it?
    c, the jobs simulation test i did in stage 1, will it come up in stage 2 and is it a pass/fail test?

any info much appreciated guys and gals

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

Did you apply in the end? Foundation level was accepted in the 2013 campaign. However, they let you sit an Irish assessment after your interview to show your competency to the language now in both the 2016 campaigns now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

I got an email yesterday saying I didn't get to the next stages. I'm disappointed in myself :(

GuessWhoEh wrote: »
    I got an email yesterday saying I didn't get to the next stages. I'm disappointed in myself :(

Sorry to hear that man. If it's any consolation most of us who got through are on our second attempt having failed before. I know a few of the recruits going down to Templemore next month got in on their second or third try.

They didn't get huge numbers for this recruitment drive so those in the know are saying there'll be another recruitment drive next year.

I know how awful it feels, but if you really want it don't give up. Best of luck whatever you choose to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

GuessWhoEh wrote: »

As Misselmon said I'm through on my second attempt to. Keep trying and never give up! Hopefully a new campaign will start mid next year for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

As Misselmon said I'm through on my second attempt to. Keep trying and never give up! Hopefully a new campaign will start mid next year for you.

misslemon wrote:
    Sorry to hear that man. If it's any consolation most of us who got through are on our second attempt having failed before. I know a few of the recruits going down to Templemore next month got in on their second or third try.

misslemon wrote:
    They didn't get huge numbers for this recruitment drive so those in the know are saying there'll be another recruitment drive next year.

misslemon wrote:
    I know how awful it feels, but if you really want it don't give up. Best of luck whatever you choose to do.

Cheers guys. Was really hoping for this. Career change, new prospects and hopefully closer to my goals but I'll definately apply again. Good luck to everyone else 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Fishingmad2013

Are there any definite dates for the next few intakes after the November one??

Are there any definite dates for the next few intakes after the November one??

My understanding is that there is a Febuary intake defined which will take recruits from the previous campaigns.

Mid 2017(May/June) will be the first class which includes recruits from the most recent (September) campaign.

Although everything can be subject to change

Advertisement