Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 08-09-2016 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

I have a Tikka T3 in 223 and the bang is so big it is putting me off one of my favourite permissions because of a few sites that were sold on it.
    It is factory threaded M14 X 1 ,how big a difference do moderators make? . Would it take it to near 22lr levels of noise?
    Any makes and models better than others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

I have a Tikka T3 in 223 and the bang is so big it is putting me off one of my favourite permissions because of a few sites that were sold on it.
    It is factory threaded M14 X 1 ,how big a difference do moderators make? . Would it take it to near 22lr levels of noise?
    Any makes and models better than others?
    From my own experience a .223 with a good suppressor would be the equivalent of a shot from a .22magnum I have an ASE Ulta CQB on my tikka and am very happy with but set me bak €400 a few yrs ago. Hardest thing would be trying to get a sound suppressor as the cops in some places not too keen in giving them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

It makes a massive difference.

I bought a Remington 700 .223, barrel was not thread and I thought to myself how loud could it be. Really Really loud I found out.

Got the barrel threaded and put a Wildcat Evolution moderator on it and now you could shoot it without having to where ear protection (if needed)

But total different rifle with the moderator. Only issue, the moderators are fairly expensive compared to cheap .22LR moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

PSXDupe wrote: »
    It makes a massive difference.

I bought a Remington 700 .223, barrel was not thread and I thought to myself how loud could it be. Really Really loud I found out.

Got the barrel threaded and put a Wildcat Evolution moderator on it and now you could shoot it without having to where ear protection (if needed)

But total different rifle with the moderator. Only issue, the moderators are fairly expensive compared to cheap .22LR moderators.

Even with the mod on the sound of the shot will damage your hearing you really should be wearing hearing protection regardless. (But end of the day theyre your ears)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

I'm not recommending to not use hearing protection, the point I making is that trying to shoot a 223 without a moderator is impossible, simply too loud.

With a good moderator (if you needed to) you could, again I am recommending to do it but it is nowhere near as loud.

I am not starting a debate on hearing protection. That's up to every individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mississippi.

Thanks for the replies. When applieing and renewing my license I always ticked the silencer box so I am covered legally anyway. I was wondering about the effectiveness of them but I guess if they were not up to the job so many of you wouldn't have them. I'll start looking at makes and models now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When applieing and renewing my license I always ticked the silencer box so I am covered legally anyway.
    Ticking the box is applying for one. Did you get the "S" on the license? This means you were granted permission to have and use one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Mississippi.

Cass wrote: »
    Ticking the box is applying for one. Did you get the "S" on the license? This means you were granted permission to have and use one.

Yes I always got the "S" on the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

I shoot a .270 un moderated ,the brother has a Hausken on his .270 ,the ''bang'' seems to be cut in half on his ,I think theirs a reduction table on the Hausken site to give the exact decibel levels before and after for their various model mods,he has a JD on his if I remember correctly .

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

I have a Hausken jd224 on my .223 and they make a huge difference to the sound. My .223 in now slightly quieter than the .22 WMR I had. Well worth the price tag of €325.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

was in the same position as you and went away got my rifle threaded and bought a T8 silencer in 223, my god its like shooting a 22 the thumb of the bullet hitting the fox is louder shot a fox in the head one night the sound of it was something else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement