Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry powerpoints for senior cycle

Options
  • 08-09-2016 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi would any kind soul please please please have some chemistry powerpoints that are suitable for seniors? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi would any kind soul please please please have some chemistry powerpoints that are suitable for seniors? Thank you!

Can you not make them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pokerface92

Can you not make them yourself?

Thank you for your incredibly helpful comment, I never taught of that! It would save me a enormous amount of time if someone had them already, given I don't solely teach chemistry and have to make other resources for my classes! Oh and not to mention I'm also an NQT

Thank you for your incredibly helpful comment, I never taught of that! It would save me a enormous amount of time if someone had them already, given I don't solely teach chemistry and have to make other resources for my classes! Oh and not to mention I'm also an NQT

I was an NQT aswell and I made my own resources to match my teaching style and by making you're own resources you learn a lot more about your subject/topic you're teaching. Also, other people's resources may not suit your students, you have to tailor your resources for your own classes. Unless you are very lucky, I don't think you're going to get anyone sharing their resources. Have you tried tes.co.uk/pdst etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I would say that as a NQT, doing your own work is vital in getting a handle on your subject. Yes, it's a lot of work but that's the job. If you're constantly using someone else's notes, you're probably not operating at your peak.

• Advertisement

Guys I understand makin PowerPoints would be helpful in the long run but I was told about this job yesterday and start Monday so I would alter the PowerPoints given to match my style and it would seriously help me out. Not being disrespectful but the post asked specifically if someone readily had them to help me rather than the implications of taking someone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 April Lily

Hi pokerface couldn't not reply. There are resources and power points on pdst website. (Sorry can't post link but if you google pdst chemistry resources you'll get the link straight away).

Also, pdst organise cpd evenings for new and established teachers in Autumn and Spring. Would definitely recommend attending as I have gotten great help/resources from then over the years.

Best of luck with new job! Chemistry is a great subject to teach!

April Lily wrote: »
    Hi pokerface couldn't not reply. There are resources and power points on pdst website. (Sorry can't post link but if you google pdst chemistry resources you'll get the link straight away).

Also, pdst organise cpd evenings for new and established teachers in Autumn and Spring. Would definitely recommend attending as I have gotten great help/resources from then over the years.

Best of luck with new job! Chemistry is a great subject to teach!

Thank you april lily, I will definitely be attending! I went on to their website and think it could be down, but thanks a million for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Check on your local education centre website too. Sometimes they advertise the pdst courses there too.

Check on your local education centre website too. Sometimes they advertise the pdst courses there too.

Thanks a million, you know for powerpoints at this stage I'm even willing to pay someone

• Advertisement

Thanks a million, you know for powerpoints at this stage I'm even willing to pay someone

It may be that you're an NQT - don't be stressing too much about all of the presentations - this weekend just concentrate on what you will be doing for the week and do the next topic next weekend - that way you'll build up your library of resources. You may not even need a presentation this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You don't have to teach by powerpoint. Kids see powerpoint all the time. Nor do you have to have a whole set of them at once. Start making your own for one or two topics and build them up over time. I agree with other posters, you should make your own, it's vitally important as an NQT to get to grips with the material you are teaching. In my first year out I had a load of FETAC modules on my timetable. Back then FETAC modules had little or no books, let alone resources, so I was at home every night making out handouts and worksheets (no data projectors 15 years ago). It stood to me in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

You don't have to teach by powerpoint. Kids see powerpoint all the time. Nor do you have to have a whole set of them at once. Start making your own for one or two topics and build them up over time. I agree with other posters, you should make your own, it's vitally important as an NQT to get to grips with the material you are teaching. In my first year out I had a load of FETAC modules on my timetable. Back then FETAC modules had little or no books, let alone resources, so I was at home every night making out handouts and worksheets (no data projectors 15 years ago). It stood to me in the end.

It was some craic doing tech drawing solutions, designed for an A2 sheet on an A4 acetate in indelible marker.

Short notice is a pain no doubt, but PowerPoint is only one tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

There is a company in England that sells things like that I think. I know I got a brochure from them offering me their wares

• Registered Users Posts: 4 April Lily

Again I would strongly recommend attending the pdst workshops. Only a couple of hours long but an invaluable opportunity to get resources, bounce ideas off other chemistry teachers, ask questions, find out what others are doing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

Hi there,

Not an NQT but teaching chemistry for the first time this year. Very much on my own as no other teacher in the school is qualified to teach the subject. This has been very challenging. I have attended the PDST workshops which have been a help.

For powerpoints I use the PDST resources on schoology for the basics and adapt/change them for my class.
    I also find Exam Edge by Declan Kennedy and the Chemistry live workbook good for getting extra questions for my class to practice with.

I have found it very hard to get resources as most teachers seem unwilling to share but the PDST resources are a good start.

I have a question that I would hope someone would answer for me. What do schools do for deionised/distilled water. This is my schools first time teaching L.C chem. Are we supposed to have the equipment to prepare it ourselves or does the school need to buy it in? I would be so grateful for some advice regarding this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

lulufinn90 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have a question that I would hope someone would answer for me. What do schools do for deionised/distilled water. This is my schools first time teaching L.C chem. Are we supposed to have the equipment to prepare it ourselves or does the school need to buy it in? I would be so grateful for some advice regarding this.

I buy distilled and have a deioniser set up as well, it's not working at the moment so I don't know how often I need to change the cartridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aufbau

The school needs to buy a deioniser. The larger the cartridge the longer it will last. Make sure you have a stock of replacement cartridges on hand.

That said, there are few enough occasions when you really need deionised or distilled water - tap water contains Cl- and Ca++ which interfere in some experiments. So: preparation of silver nitrate soln, of solns used in testing for free chlorine or for chloride ion, and for two titrations - hardness of water and ? (I've forgotten the other, thiosulfate with KI/H+?). The titrations will still work but results will be inaccurate. Have I forgotten any others, people?

Purists will say you should always use deionised water to prepare solutions but for school experiments it's not normally necessary.

(Remember to teach the students why deionised water is necessary for these experiments - it's always good to show what happens if you don't use it, when feasible. Also the differences between deionised and distilled water.)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aufbau

Regarding resources, I always made my own to suit the way I taught the section.

For example, with titrations I used all the exam papers from 2002 and their marking schemes to source precautions, which can be very picky. Also in leaving cert year I'd get the students during class to make out a comparison between all the titrations on a double A4 sheet eg refill pad turned sideways.

Also, apparatus diagrams with chemicals labelled in their starting positions for all organic experiments on a single sheet was great for comparison and revision. Get them to turn it over and draw them out.

Make a page with a simple diagram and bullet points to explain Rutherford's gold foil experiment (taken from marking schemes).

When teaching covalent bonding, get them to draw lots of organic molecules given the structural formulae. Dot and cross first, then stick diagrams with single and double bonds.

Make short bulleted summaries of descriptive sections eg pollution, and get them to make their own mind maps in class in groups.

Get different groups to make short revision PowerPoints of single topics over the two years and present them to the class. Ten minutes long, and they answer questions for five minutes afterwards, from you if necessary.

Get different groups to learn one anion test each and demonstrate to the rest.

This might not be what you meant by resources, but hope it's helpful! Maybe you could get the TY science students on your side for making video and PowerPoint resources, or divide your own class into groups to search out online videos in their own time on different sections eg water treatment, enhanced greenhouse effect etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lulufinn90

Thank you so much for your reply Aufbau.

I have been wracking my brains out over it. I received a department list of materials for the lab but the supplier is quite difficult to deal with and there have been issues. It has been quite a struggle this far.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am appreciative of any help possible. I don't think the deioniser is on the dept list as I would have received one if it were.

I reckon I will probably have to buy some in for this year and try get something sorted for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dont tesco sell DI water?
    I dunno any chemistry but I remember a science teacher saying they made their own DI water from a DIY kit they saw on YouTube... they got all the materials on ebay!

Is it the same as water made from reverse osmosis?

Advertisement