Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to find a landlord who will accept HAP

Options
  • 09-09-2016 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

We're a family of four, and we need to move soon.
    It's been so hard to find a landlord who will accept HAP. I completely understand why their apprehensive or don't want social welfare tenants due to past experiences with them.
    What bothers me is we're good people. I do feel like we're judged for being entitled to HAP. But we're a family who has just fallen on hard times. My partner works full time and I used to work part time till we had our son. Once he was born he's had a a few medical problems and I'm going to have to stay at home with him for at least two years. Which is putting a financial strain on us.
    Our long term plan is for me whilst at home with him is to study from home and get my degree. I've completed 2 years of social studies and have 1-2 yrs left.
    We want long term accomodation, something that can be our family home for 3-5 yrs. We thought we could save and try for a council morgtage but still don't have enough savings. As our rent is eating into it.
    Ugh, I'm just fed up. But I want advice on how to show landlords that we're good tenants?
    We can supply excellent references. Is there anything else that will help?
    I've seen people needing to supply bank statements ect? Or is it purely luck of the draw and we just have to hope that a landlord will eventually accept HAP?
    I just want to give the best impression I can. I'm not out to destroy someone's home or wreck the place. And I can't fathom why that even happens? How can some tenants be so disrespectful? It's a catch 22 I susppose!
    I hope you all have some advice for me,
    And thanks for taking your time to read this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're in North Kildare this is the worst time of year to look for property at all due to students - doesn't change the situation, but its something to be aware of. December when students have dropped out, moved in with girlfriends etc etc; and May when they're gone are usually the best.

Many landlords have had a bad experience with the older rent allowance structure - where it was paid to the tenant, and the tenant not paying it on to them, and most others have heard of those stories. Explaining that HAP is paid to the landlord directly first and foremost could be enough reassurance for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 emmad_xxx

L1011 wrote: »
    If you're in North Kildare this is the worst time of year to look for property at all due to students - doesn't change the situation, but its something to be aware of. December when students have dropped out, moved in with girlfriends etc etc; and May when they're gone are usually the best.

Many landlords have had a bad experience with the older rent allowance structure - where it was paid to the tenant, and the tenant not paying it on to them, and most others have heard of those stories. Explaining that HAP is paid to the landlord directly first and foremost could be enough reassurance for some.

I hadn't actually thought of that. We're south Kildare. But close to the motorway. So very popular area for commuters. That's what I'm hoping.
    But once I mention it we don't get a call back for viewings ect. It's all very disheartening. I do understand how landlords feel tho. I'm not angry at them I'm angry at the people who abused it. And the knock on effect of that.
    We may just keep trying and hopefully something will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There are other implications for landlords too:
    - Insurance usually goes up if the tenants are receiving rent allowance (or if they're students).
    - There is more paperwork to do than if renting to private tenants.
    - In some areas the rent allowance caps are considerably lower than what the private market is paying, so the landlord has to accept lower rent (some will accept cash top ups, illegally)

n97 mini wrote: »
    - In some areas the rent allowance caps are considerably lower than what the private market is paying, so the landlord has to accept lower rent (some will accept cash top ups, illegally)

HAP != rent allowance. Its paid at a rate negotiated with the landlord, which can be significantly higher than the rent allowance cap if required.

The OPs partner works which will over-ride the insurance argument - that is only the case if everyone in the house is at home all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

HAP != rent allowance. Its paid at a rate negotiated with the landlord, which can be significantly higher than the rent allowance cap if required.
    Not familiar with the new rules, but I'll bow to your superior knowledge! :)
    The OPs partner works which will over-ride the insurance argument - that is only the case if everyone in the house is at home all day.

True that.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Not familiar with the new rules, but I'll bow to your superior knowledge! :)

It was extremely badly publicised. Didn't fit with the media attention whirlpool around rent allowance rates (when nobody new was going on that, they were going on HAP). Was a pilot scheme brought in 2014 and is creeping out across councils. Most of Dublin hasn't got it fully yet, and a lot of media attention is Dublin centric, so...

You pay the council a differential rent the same as you would in social housing. More you earn, more you pay. Council pay the landlord. There are suggested limits, but they can and do breach these (hugely) as required whereas RA is a hard limit and there's nothing available anymore really in Kildare under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 emmad_xxx

It was extremely badly publicised. Didn't fit with the media attention whirlpool around rent allowance rates (when nobody new was going on that, they were going on HAP). Was a pilot scheme brought in 2014 and is creeping out across councils. Most of Dublin hasn't got it fully yet, and a lot of media attention is Dublin centric, so...

You pay the council a differential rent the same as you would in social housing. More you earn, more you pay. Council pay the landlord. There are suggested limits, but they can and do breach these (hugely) as required whereas RA is a hard limit and there's nothing available anymore really in Kildare under it.

Yeah we were told our limit and then there is 20% on top of it depending on how highly sought after the area is.

Advertisement