Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVR for recording

Options
  • 09-09-2016 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right thread so please free to move Mods.

I've moved into a new place and the previous owners left the security cameras (4 of them). They are all wired up but they just need connecting to a DVR box I assume so it can record. Can anyone recommend any DVR boxes fit for the job and where I'd get them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'll need to buy some class of a box to merge the four pictures into a single TV signal (a 2 x 2 frame showing the four video feeds) for the DVR to record. A domestic DVR machine won't be capable of taking four concurrent inputs and recording them all. But a domestic DVR may also not be able to do a continuous loop where the machine records over the oldest stuff so you always have the last nn hours of video recorded i.e. it doesn't stop recording because the hard drive is full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right thread so please free to move Mods.

I've moved into a new place and the previous owners left the security cameras (4 of them). They are all wired up but they just need connecting to a DVR box I assume so it can record. Can anyone recommend any DVR boxes fit for the job and where I'd get them.
    Also before buying anything you will need to check the connections on the end of the cables
    to determine what type of box you require for example
    if the connectors are silver twist on plugs ( most likley BNC )
    if network cables ( IP cameras )

http://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/4-channel-dvr/3065608
    the one in the ad is a BNC type fitting recorder
    Just as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Thanks all.

If I were to buy one without a HDD included is it simply a matter of using a HDD with a USB connection or is there a certain type of HDD I need? Would my spare 500GB HDD that I took out of my Desktop PC the other week work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Thanks all.

If I were to buy one without a HDD included is it simply a matter of using a HDD with a USB connection or is there a certain type of HDD I need? Would my spare 500GB HDD that I took out of my Desktop PC the other week work?
    I think that most DVR'S now would have a sata HDD connection like in the advertised example above
    I don't see any reason why you could not use your old drive but obviously if your drive is sata you need a sata dvr or IDE if your drive is IDE

on another noteif the cameras were HD for example a 500 gig drive may only record approx 75 hrs not great if you went on holidays

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to home security systems

• Advertisement
Advertisement