Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Bray Golf Club location

• 09-09-2016 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭

Colaiste Raithin is getting a new school building built there from what I've read online, is this what's called Old Conna Golf Club in Google maps or its somewhere else entirely? Thanks

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I believe it's the one marked as Dargle View Golf Club on Google Maps, between the Dargle and Woodbrook Glen, so still (just) in Co. Wicklow :)

http://www.sammongroup.com/project/2566/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dargle+View+Golf+Course/@53.2082129,-6.1116143,1274m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6e2367bdae69ac40!8m2!3d53.20953!4d-6.1071058

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It'll be the wrong side of the bridge for a lot of the Colaiste Raithin pupils.
    I see the developer is promising "extensive new road network" but hard to see what that could be, unless a new bridge is planned at the harbour linking across the site to Corke Abbey. I doubt we'll see that happen though.

As an aside, I'm not in favour of all this public money being spent on two brand new schools, on a new site purchased by the taxpayer, with the finished schools just handed to these two special interest "patrons". If they were really the "patrons" they'd be paying for it. The state is the real patron here, plain and simple.

We have already seen it happen in Greystones with the state of the art publicly funded Templecarrig school handed to the Church of Ireland who promptly discriminated in favour of their own people for admission to the school.

New publicly funded schools should be secular state schools, open to all members of the public and suitable for all members of the public. Not just handed over to a special interest "ethos".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks guys, I wonder what the traffic will be like in the morning, hopefully its being taken into account.
    recedite according to the Gaelscoileanna website Colaise Raithin is interdenominational so shouldn't discriminate based on religion presumably.
    I'm hoping to send my own kids there when they finish primary school, have only read positive things about the educational standards there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    according to the Gaelscoileanna website Colaise Raithin is interdenominational
    A lot of Gaelcoileanna are interdenominational, and means "with catholic doctrine, but with some allowances made for protestants to attend".
    But I see here it is run by the ETB, so if that is right it must be multidenominational. Which means it teaches the doctrine of various religions. AFAIK there are no non-denominational schools at all.

But regardless of religion, its still a special interest school, and such schools are known to discriminate in favour of Gaelgeoir parents. Even if there was no discrimination whatsoever, they are not suitable for everybody.

As for the RC primary school, they presumably own at least part of the site as it was originally founded by nuns who owned land at Ravenswell. So presumably the church will retain ownership of the deeds of the new school after the state has built it. Mixing up the church and state like that is fundamentally wrong for a republic. The separation of church and state should be a priority, as it is in France and the USA.

None of this is meant as any criticism of the standard of teaching in either school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

recedite wrote: »
    I see the developer is promising "extensive new road network" but hard to see what that could be, unless a new bridge is planned at the harbour linking across the site to Corke Abbey. I doubt we'll see that happen though.

Am I wrong in thinking there will be roads through the ravenswell land from lidl/industrial yarns down?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Not sure what the exact plan is, or even if there is one.
    It is entirely predictable that there will be plenty of objections based on the likelihood of traffic congestion generated by this "two school campus" especially bearing in mind the bottleneck at the bridge.

Therefore the statement "An extensive road network will be developed for this school campus both on and off site" seems to be a pre-emptive, if vague, answer to that criticism before it arrives.

Advertisement