Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carraig Craobh, Letterkenny - what's it like?

Options
  • 09-09-2016 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭

What's this area like? Friend of mine is looking at a house in the area and it seems a bit too cheap to be true, €110k for a 4 bed semi detached.

Is it a dive?

House looks OK in the pictures but what's the area like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Never heard of the place before. What area is it in?

Probably best stating that as Im sure others will not be aware of a single line address.

I've changed the thread title as I dont think its appropriate to suggest/hint that a house or an estate in a particular area is of a low standard and then ask what its like on thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

muffler wrote: »
    Never heard of the place before. What area is it in?

Probably best stating that as Im sure others will not be aware of a single line address.

I've changed the thread title as I dont think its appropriate to suggest/hint that a house or an estate in a particular area is of a low standard and then ask what its like on thread :)

Apologies.

Ps, my spell checker doesn't like Irish.

It's Carraig Craobh. Could you edit?

Its down near old town I belive. A bit past NowDoc.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Carraig+Craobh,+Rahan,+Co.+Donegal,+Ireland/@54.93945,-7.7510649,15.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x485f94d73a941753:0xc02ee760bf5f798e!8m2!3d54.9393263!4d-7.7450686

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thread title sorted. :)

Dont know that specific estate my self but my daughter lived in a nearby estate for a year or so and though it was fine. Then again that was about 5 years ago so Id have no idea what the general area would be like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it a bank repo?
    Maybe that might explain the cheap price?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it a bank repo?
    Maybe that might explain the cheap price?

Dunno. Don't think she has spoken to the estate agents, was just nosying online and asked me about the area but I'm not familiar with Letterkenny at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

But house prices are low in general in Letterkenny, especially for the standard semi-d.

I wouldn't be alarmed at the perceived low price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

I live there, it's nice enough. Drainage can be dodgy sometimes, but not really avoidable since it's down such a mad slope. Neighbours are friendly, there's only about 2 dogs running loose which is probably below average for Letterkenny.

I wouldn't recommend letting your kids (if you have any) play in the sand pit at the top of the hill, there are a lot of cats in this estate (I have 3). I haven't been through a big freeze yet, so I can't comment on how hard it will be to get out of.

I paid 100 for my semi detached 4 bedroom.

The houses were built between 2005 and 2008, so there's the usual problems with build quality. We've discovered a few problems (leaky attic, bad plumbing, iffy concrete work) which cost a few grand to sort out, the house is also very draughty but we haven't fixed that yet.

The area is supposed to be SIRO enabled early 2017, but there's a solid 100/20mb connection already in the area.

Further edit: The house for sale looks like it's the same layout as mine, but in reverse. Those double doors in the sitting room are annoying, and severely limit the usable wall space.

Advertisement