Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens commuting jacket - what's important?

Options
  • 09-09-2016 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm after a rain jacket for commuting (got a bit wet yesterday eve :p). A friend has recommended Altura and I've seen the brand recommended here too but I'm just not sure what feature is most important to have - waterproof?, windproof?, high viz? or foldable?....My commute is 12 miles each way and while I didn't mind the rain yesterday my arms got quite cold about 2 miles from home (had a thin jacket on which was soaked through). I'm also conscious the dark evenings are coming and while I intend to be lit up like a Christmas tree with lights on the bike, my helmet and my backpack I think I'd still like the jacket to have high viz although I'm open to correction on the importance of that.

I've seen this: http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cycle-jackets-gilets/altura-pocket-rocket-waterproof-jacket.html

and this http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cycle-jackets-gilets/altura-nightvision-jacket.html

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, what do you guys use and recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Waterproof, with taped seams and breathable. If it's not breathable you'll be soaked with sweay anyway.

Altura night vision was great for me, I also have a similar endura one. People here swear by the galibier mistral too.

Of those 2 I'd go for the night vision. Highly reflective regardless of the colour, plenty of pockets, not too heavy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Do you bring a change of clothes with you? Do you shower at work? Are you very hot when you arrive?

I ask because I have far too many jackets and tops collected over the years - cycling, hiking, running, sports varieties - and I would choose a different jacket to wear over a top I will be wearing after the journey, whereas when I am showering in work I choose differently.

What I have found most useful (for me) is to have a windproof / warm fleece type top for the cold weather and a very light waterproof jacket which can go over a light layer in summer / spring and go over the heavier top in the cold.

Sorry for the rambling post

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm female and I have the Altura one. Well one of them, there are several.

I have the yellow hi vis. Waterproof, sealed zips and breathable are vital. For the winter you'll be dressed differently anyway so your arms hopefully won't get so cold. You could consider investing in a pair of arm warmers too. If you find the jacket isn't windproof, you could wear a gilet over/under the jacket, but in my experience the altura has kept the wind out.

One piece of advice though - go into a proper shop and try on the jacket. The sizing can be weird. I'd normally take a 14-16 in most of my cycling gear but on my altura the 14 is quite loose. It's okay as I normally have a few layers under it, but I was able to close the 12 on myself, which is unheard of for me. 53 degrees north in Blanchardstown stock Altura. As do Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Firedance wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm after a rain jacket for commuting (got a bit wet yesterday eve :p). A friend has recommended Altura and I've seen the brand recommended here too but I'm just not sure what feature is most important to have - waterproof?, windproof?, high viz? or foldable?....My commute is 12 miles each way and while I didn't mind the rain yesterday my arms got quite cold about 2 miles from home (had a thin jacket on which was soaked through). I'm also conscious the dark evenings are coming and while I intend to be lit up like a Christmas tree with lights on the bike, my helmet and my backpack I think I'd still like the jacket to have high viz although I'm open to correction on the importance of that.

I've seen this: http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cycle-jackets-gilets/altura-pocket-rocket-waterproof-jacket.html

and this http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cycle-jackets-gilets/altura-nightvision-jacket.html

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, what do you guys use and recommend?

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewerFull.asp?brandID=45&categoryID=4&clearance=1&nf=&head=&pricerange=

These are the cheapest for certain Altura lines I've seen anywhere and it's free delivery once you spend a fairly low amount. I've bought the men's jackets and they're excellent - delivery usually inside a fortnight. Sometimes sizes aren't available though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

dub_skav wrote: »
    Do you bring a change of clothes with you? Do you shower at work? Are you very hot when you arrive?

I ask because I have far too many jackets and tops collected over the years - cycling, hiking, running, sports varieties - and I would choose a different jacket to wear over a top I will be wearing after the journey, whereas when I am showering in work I choose differently.

What I have found most useful (for me) is to have a windproof / warm fleece type top for the cold weather and a very light waterproof jacket which can go over a light layer in summer / spring and go over the heavier top in the cold.

Sorry for the rambling post

Thanks, yes I bring a change of clothes & have access to a shower in work which I guess means its not the end of the world if I get soaked but if I'm spending money on a jacket I'd like to try and cover the important bases first time out. I'm with you on the far too many jackets... I've yet to find the perfect all season/all weather casual coat :p
    sullivlo wrote: »
    I'm female and I have the Altura one. Well one of them, there are several.

I have the yellow hi vis. Waterproof, sealed zips and breathable are vital. For the winter you'll be dressed differently anyway so your arms hopefully won't get so cold. You could consider investing in a pair of arm warmers too. If you find the jacket isn't windproof, you could wear a gilet over/under the jacket, but in my experience the altura has kept the wind out.

One piece of advice though - go into a proper shop and try on the jacket. The sizing can be weird. I'd normally take a 14-16 in most of my cycling gear but on my altura the 14 is quite loose. It's okay as I normally have a few layers under it, but I was able to close the 12 on myself, which is unheard of for me. 53 degrees north in Blanchardstown stock Altura. As do Halfords.

Thanks sullivlo, I do have arm warmers for running so no reason why I couldn't use them on the bike too! Good advice on trying on, will have a look in a bricks & mortar shop over the weekend. Halfords actually have the jacket online for €50 or something like that but they've none in stock :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

What kind of bike do you have?

If you are going to commute through winter fitting full length mudguards(with front flap to protect feet) will be best €20/€30 you will spend. You'll ride more on wet roads than you'll ride in rain...

That and increasing your brown fat thermogenesis will see you right for the winter

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/rangeViewerFull.asp?brandID=45&categoryID=4&clearance=1&nf=&head=&pricerange=

These are the cheapest for certain Altura lines I've seen anywhere and it's free delivery once you spend a fairly low amount. I've bought the men's jackets and they're excellent - delivery usually inside a fortnight. Sometimes sizes aren't available though.

Brilliant, thanks, there's some great value there.
    ford2600 wrote: »
    What kind of bike do you have?

If you are going to commute through winter fitting full length mudguards(with front flap to protect feet) will be best €20/€30 you will spend. You'll ride more on wet roads than you'll ride in rain...

That and increasing your brown fat thermogenesis will see you right for the winter

A Merida road bike and yes, mudguards were on the 'to buy' list, they'll be purchased this weekend too!

On the brown fat thermogenesis, I was recently diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and as non shivering thermogenesis is regulated mainly by the thyroid I'll just have to make do with wrapping up well until the meds are sorted :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Front mudflap a very good idea for the winter (as opposed to just using a mudguard, which doesn't prevent the spray getting your shoes and the bottoms of your legs, and your chain).

I'm not a woman, but I just use an Altura a Montane light rain smock all year round, and carry changes of top in a sandwich bag in the pannier. I don't feel the cold much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Thanks, yes I bring a change of clothes & have access to a shower in work which I guess means its not the end of the world if I get soaked but if I'm spending money on a jacket I'd like to try and cover the important bases first time out. I'm with you on the far too many jackets... I've yet to find the perfect all season/all weather casual coat :p

Thanks sullivlo, I do have arm warmers for running so no reason why I couldn't use them on the bike too! Good advice on trying on, will have a look in a bricks & mortar shop over the weekend. Halfords actually have the jacket online for €50 or something like that but they've none in stock :(

The reason I asked about shower / change is that with a shower at the end sweating isn't a huge problem, still best to minimise, but staying dry is the most important thing.
    I have merino t-shirts that I wear all year and I have an Altura windproof fleece that goes on in late Autumn and stays on for the winter. Then all year round I have a small, uncomplicated (non-breathable) Berghaus rain jacket that stays in my bag. I only take out the jacket for proper rain, drizzle is handled by the windproof for me.

I have always found that a jack of all trades truly is a master of none in cases like this, so I decided against a year round all weathers jacket and have gone with the 3 item "system" above and it works for me.

Brilliant, thanks, there's some great value there.

A Merida road bike and yes, mudguards were on the 'to buy' list, they'll be purchased this weekend too!

On the brown fat thermogenesis, I was recently diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and as non shivering thermogenesis is regulated mainly by the thyroid I'll just have to make do with wrapping up well until the meds are sorted :pac:

Best of luck with that, currently trying to upregulate thermogenesis with early morning sea swims but water isn't cold enough for shivering (yet).

I'll probably be divorced if I try and get my way with the heating...

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Front mudflap a very good idea for the winter (as opposed to just using a mudguard, which doesn't prevent the spray getting your shoes and the bottoms of your legs, and your chain).

I'm not a woman, but I just use an Altura a Montane light rain smock all year round, and carry changes of top in a sandwich bag in the pannier. I don't feel the cold much though.

Great, thanks for that tip, will investigate those.

I had to make my own mudflap, but if you want something that looks nice, I'd say one of the Dutch-leaning bike shops would have proper ones.

I had to make my own mudflap, but if you want something that looks nice, I'd say one of the Dutch-leaning bike shops would have proper ones.

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=
    Two pop rivets and the bottom piece of a Superquinn bag cut to suit although Damp Proof Course would probably be more durable.

Your chain/drivetrain will last longer to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I hava a ProViz - one of those all-reflective jackets

http://www.provizsports.com/en_ie/directory/currency/switch/currency/EUR/

and like it, but a couple of caveats:
    • They're dear
    • They're blindingly reflective in headlights, but a dull road-grey in twilight, which can be dangerous; they should really have a fluorescent strip across the shoulders
    • The sizing is weird; I got small and it's obviously designed for a midget; snug to say the least

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=
    Two pop rivets and the bottom piece of a Superquinn bag cut to suit although Damp Proof Course would probably be more durable.

I used small nuts and bolts (very small), a drill and bits of an Avonmore EasiPour jug. Stylish!
    Your chain/drivetrain will last longer to
    Yeah, a lot longer in my experience!

EDIT: I'm mentally filing away ford2600's brainwave for the next mudflap I have to make.

I used small nuts and bolts (very small), a drill and bits of an Avonmore EasiPour jug. Stylish!

Yeah, a lot longer in my experience!

BTW do you run single speed or use hub gear?

Came across a two things while back
    * one where a guy ran a new shimano chain (with grease) and never lubed before replacing at around 6k km versus 4-5k km normally
    * Sheldon had a thing on running a single speed chain where front chainring and rear sprocket were even number to circa 3% wear without issue

I'm all about removing faff from the cyclist life!

Sorry OP this was my last post!

Two hub-gear bikes (Brompton and bakfiets) and one derailleur (tourer). Mudflaps on all of them, including rear mudflap on tourer to keep trailer clean. The mudflap on the bakfiets I didn't fit, and it's really there just to keep the cargo box underside clean, I guess, and maybe the cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I prefer wind-proof and breathable with layers over waterproof, you'll feel like a boil-in-the-bag cyclist in waterproofs. I have a lovely Gore -Tex performance shell jacket from their Bike Wear range that's the bees knees for commuting. It has pockets and reflective piping. Mine is three years old and other than the occasional re-proofing with Nik-wax, it's been fantastic. It's more expensive than Altura but is well worth the extra money.

Regarding Altura's sizing I've seen it described as "Scottish" as opposed to "Italian" (Castelli). As Sullivlo says above they are generous in size and I would recommend trying the jacket on.

I used to have Patagonia and Lowe Alpine normal jackets (not cycling specific) that also worked well as commuting jackets.

Came across a two things while back
    * one where a guy ran a new shimano chain (with grease) and never lubed before replacing at around 6k km versus 4-5k km normally
    * Sheldon had a thing on running a single speed chain where front chainring and rear sprocket were even number to circa 3% wear without issue

I'm all about removing faff from the cyclist life!

Sorry OP this was my last post!

Ha ha that's fine, I've absolutely no idea what either of you are talking about though :o lots to learn clearly..!

I prefer wind-proof and breathable with layers over waterproof, you'll feel like a boil-in-the-bag cyclist in waterproofs. I have a lovely Gore -Tex performance shell jacket from their Bike Wear range that's the bees knees for commuting. It has pockets and reflective piping. Mine is three years old and other than the occasional re-proofing with Nik-wax, it's been fantastic. It's more expensive than Altura but is well worth the extra money.

Regarding Altura's sizing I've seen it described as "Scottish" as opposed to "Italian" (Castelli). As Sullivlo says above they are generous in size and I would recommend trying the jacket on.

I used to have Patagonia and Lowe Alpine normal jackets (not cycling specific) that also worked well as commuting jackets.

Thanks, will have a look at the Gore - Tex too. I tried on a couple of Altura's at lunchtime, even their own sizing doesn't seem to be standard across the types. I did try on the nightvison Evo which is more pricey again but felt lovely - at this rate it'll be next summer before I've made a decision!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Thanks, will have a look at the Gore - Tex too. I tried on a couple of Altura's at lunchtime, even their own sizing doesn't seem to be standard across the types. I did try on the nightvison Evo which is more pricey again but felt lovely - at this rate it'll be next summer before I've made a decision!

GoreTex would be state of the art, I think.

Just to wind this up (I know it's off topic!):
    * I've had the bakfiets out in all weather, and I finally opened up the chain case after 3+months to look at the chain. Absolutely pristine, still with the factory grease. I oiled the chain anyway, as I'd gone to the bother of opening the chain case, but it wasn't necessary at all.
    * I've heard something similar. I think it doesn't quite apply if you have a chain tensioner in the mix as well.

Advertisement