Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A6 or BMW 520 (opinions)

• 09-09-2016 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of maybe trading in my current car and going for a low mileage/demo 2016 reg A6 or BMW 520d (dealer purchase rather than import as I will be trading in). Never had an Audi and intend to test drive an A6 but wondered if anyone who has driven both could give an informed opinion as to the relative merits of both. Driving a BMW 5 series currently and like it but am thinking of a change. New 5 series out next year but looks like it won't be much different except for countless more thousands.........

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Neither car better than the other really. Rear wheel drive v front wheel drive probably biggest difference but don't know if that matters to you.

It will depend on the actual model/specs of the car you buy.

I'd go for s line or m sport though over the non sporty versions.

For what it's worth, I believe the merc e class has them both trounced at the moment but that's just out whereas bmw is due to be replaced next year, not sure about the Audi.

But I still wouldn't buy the Mercedes with my own money I just don't like it externally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There will a be a big difference in the new 5 Series, it will be sitting on a different platform than the current one, will be lighter and will have revised engines. Current models are still selling well, however if your not buying new then it won't make any difference to you.

I suggest go test driving both, I haven't driven the A6 with the new Stronic gearbox but did drive one with the older Multitronic gearbox and just didn't like it. If you can find a Quattro A6 then all it's a huge bonus over the front wheel drive version, they became available with the 2.0 TDi earlier this year. Also don't rule out a UK import, talk to the dealer about importing one for you if they don't have one. Generally the UK models are better speced and the exchange rate is not too bad at present. I bought a decent spec 5 Series imported from the UK, from a BMW dealer back in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

Thanks for the quick replies lads - can I ask if it was a main dealer who imported the BMW decent spec for you? Currently driving a 520d and while I like it just fancy something different - none of the Irish dealers seems to have anything other than 518's or 520's.....from years of manuals I went into an auto on the latest BMW and wouldn't go back to manual (lots of motorway driving). I'll organise a test drive of the Audi (looking at their overall used database there are 2 different engines 150/190 BHP with not much in the difference pricewise) but also only a small number of decently specced cars (like the look of the one below which is an S-line)

http://used.audi.ie/vehicle/2115413

Let you know how I get on!

Cheers

They didn't import it for me specifically but they source a few through the UK BMW network when the exchange rate is more favorable. They tend to bring in some decent spec models as they know they sell fairly quickly. I'm sure some Audi dealers do the same.

This A6 looks better value imo:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Audi/A6/2.0-TDI/3071248897158019487/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd be concerned about a BMW 520d's reliability.

• Advertisement

BMW reliability, VAG dieselgate - take your pick.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    BMW reliability, VAG dieselgate - take your pick.

Let's stay on topic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Op what 5 series do you have now?
    Is it f10 current model?
    I've driven both and owned a couple of 520d's. Both Audi and BMW excellent cars in my view but I prefer the 5 series. Really boils down to personal preference at the end of the day and deals available.
    I've test driven the new e class and it actually is better than both if you can get over driving a merc!
    If you're in a current 5 I would wait for the new model unless you're in a hurry to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I'd be concerned about a BMW 520d's reliability.

The B47 2.0L Diesel engine came in around Sept 2014, however between 2007 ish and 2014 they dreaded timing chain issues associated with the N47 would scare anyone away from a 2.0L diesel BMW.!
    The B47 is meant to be a much more reliable engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I wanted to buy an A6 Avant S-Line badly simply because of the way that it looks.
    Took 3 different ones for a drive (141) and never could get the purchase over the line.
    Yes, they are well built, and beautifully finished, but I just dont think the ergonomics when you are sitting behind the wheel can match that of the F10 5 series.
    The 5 series also imo is quieter at cruise and would leave an A6 for dead mid range ( or feels like it at least )

The multitronic gearbox is also appalling - but they've ditched that for 2015 I think so it shouldnt be an issue.

If you are buying nearly new - get it cheap, the new 5 is being revealed in October - but I see Joe Duffy has new 5's from 44k at the moment, they should also be full of goodies as it is a run out.

• Advertisement

The B47 2.0L Diesel engine came in around Sept 2014, however between 2007 ish and 2014 they dreaded timing chain issues associated with the N47 would scare anyone away from a 2.0L diesel BMW.!
    The B47 is meant to be a much more reliable engine.

Friend of mine has one and the side light failed. Angel eye?

Dealer told him it's not a bulb but a circuit board that's gone and the cost would be enormous c.€400 to replace it.

That's utter madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

BMW Currently offering FOC Auto Transmission on 5 Series in stock. Makes it a better overall ownership proposition than the A6 at the moment, but if it weren't for that then there's practically nothing between them, and it's down to personal preference.

Me, I'd take the 5 Series as it's nice to know if you want to head off on back roads and have a bit of fun, then the option is there. A6 is a more comfortable cruiser, so if it's going to be used most of the time for mile munching rather than back road blasting, the A6 is probably the better option.

Wild Card - new S90?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Friend of mine has one and the side light failed. Angel eye?

Dealer told him it's not a bulb but a circuit board that's gone and the cost would be enormous c.€400 to replace it.

That's utter madness.

I've seen countless relatively new 5 series with one headlight on the fritz, was the same with the E60. Another BMW weak spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

robbe wrote: »
    New 5 series out next year but looks like it won't be much different except for countless more thousands.........

Thanks

Autocar have a review of a mule car they got to test drive in Wales - its a totally new platform, and they seemed to be impressed ( although Autocar are always impressed by BMW unless its up against a Jag or Landrover product )

I just went from an f10 to and F11 - and while I spent a fair whack of money to drive basically the same thing, a different colour interior some new toys and a mild facelift in the meantime make it feel like a different car. ( plus the little boy in me cannot but get excited about the electric tailgate :eek: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

Currently driving a 13D 520 so the only real difference in moving up the years is probably the navigation system and some small cosmetic changes....

Have never driven an Audi but am going to organise a test drive, have frequently heard from friends that the engine in the Audi is superb but I must say I was impressed with the 5 series when I moved up from the 3 series I was previously in.

Not a big fan of Mercs and don't particularly like the styling of the new E-class - only ever been in older mercs and tend to be a bit (not sure how to describe it but the word that comes to mind is spongy....)

Don't think I could afford the jump to a new 520 when they eventually arrive which I believe is end March next year.

Thanks for the pointers/opinions!

Nobody should expect to run a premium branded car on a shoestring budget. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc are all going to cost similar money to both maintain and replace parts on.

Also alot of this expensive technology finds it's way down to the non premium brands and ain't cheap to replace either. For example maybe try pricing a replacement adaptive LED headlight unit from the likes of Ford for a new Mondeo, it will be eye watering expensive too.

I would be interested to hear how much it would cost you to come up 3 years into either car. If you like power you could get a 530d for not much more than a 520 if you were prepared to buy up north from one of the BMW dealers. I know Bavarian BMW in Belfast take southern cars as trade ins. They don't give top money, only what they can sell the car for in the trade but you will get a well specced powerful 5 series for reasonable money.
    However I would think that you've suffered the steepest curve of depreciation already and if you wait another year your own car will not be worth much less as a trade in against a new model 5 series.
    The A6 is due replacement soon too and seems very dated now to me.
    I would also consider the Volvo s90 as r.o.r. has said and maybe new jag xf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

In the last few years I've owned both an Audi A6 190bhp s tronic and 2 BMW 520ds one manual and one auto. The A6 is a gorgeous drive it's really comfortable and you don't have the run flats so tyres will probably work out cheaper. The downside of the A6 is that you have to do without rear wheel drive and also have the ad blue situation. For me I also found the xenons on the BMW are much better than the A6.

My favourite of the two is the BMW because of what I've already mentioned and also because I think the auto box in the 520d is fantastic. It's so smooth you don't even notice the gear changes. Much better than the A6 mid range too.
    I guess you should take an A6 for a spin and see what you think. Both are good cars so it just comes down to personal preference in the end. Best of luck.

Summer wind
    Did you not change from 5 series to A6 yourself if I recall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Summer wind
    Did you not change from 5 series to A6 yourself if I recall?

Hi carsfan2 I did in April last year. I had a manual 520d for nearly 4 years but I'd an operation on my left knee and found changing gears very uncomfortable. Fancied a bit of a change and after test driving an auto s tronic Audi A6 decided to go with it. I kept it for 14 months and did like it but found myself staring at every 520d I saw on the road. Thought about it for a few weeks and decided it's now or never and went to see my dealer and test drove a 520d auto with new B47 engine.
    Got a great deal and ordered my new car the same day. I have it since May and I'm delighted with it. Great car especially in sport mode:)

• Advertisement

Summer wind
    You must have taken a hit on the A6 regardless but I would have the 5 too over the Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 americanboi

Stick with bmw mate, far too many audi's on the road now. Imo bmw much classier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Stick with bmw mate, far too many audi's on the road now. Imo bmw much classier

Very little in it as regards sales I saw the figures from this year, yes Audi ahead but very little in it.

Neither exclusive anymore, savage depreciation and pcp means a huge number of people could go out and get one in the morning, but correctly, most don't.

Advertisement