Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Race Markings

Options
  • 09-09-2016 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what is the position regarding road race organisers painting signs on the roads? Some of their handywork takes more than a year to fade. Do the organisers need Garda approval to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

What sort of signs are you seeing? I only see the sprayed arrows at junctions.Normally gone within the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wicklow 200 signs still all around, if anyone fancies it as a spin at the weekend. Shay Elliott ones still around me too. They really don't bother me - I'm more bothered about the street post signs - there's some still up that are months old at this stage!

Speaking of the Shay Elliott and Road Paintings, I'll miss "Hammer Time" when it eventually fades away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

What sort of signs are you seeing? I only see the sprayed arrows at junctions.Normally gone within the month.
    There was a road race at Russborough House last weekend and some of the minor roads around the lakes had arrows, distance markings, comments and even a smiley face painted on the road. Some markings from previous years are still visible.9BMq82.jpg
    Z03EU6.jpg
    pucKJn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

juuge wrote: »
    There was a road race at Russborough House last weekend and some of the minor roads around the lakes had arrows, distance markings, comments and even a smiley face painted on the road. Some markings from previous years are still visible

What race was it? It's rare you get to choose between a 50km and 125km route in a race - I'm sure the riders doing the 50km would win!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There was a road race at Russborough House last weekend..
    That wasn't a race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

a smiley face painted on the road

This is the sort of thing that is RUINING society. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

This is the sort of thing that is RUINING society. :mad:

what smiley faces?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

carefulnow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Can anyone tell me what is the position regarding road race organisers painting signs on the roads? Some of their handywork takes more than a year to fade. Do the organisers need Garda approval to do this?

No Garda approval needed to mark the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I can't believe that people are destroying the natural beauty of our badly maintained roads.

Cycling through France, the road markings were a way of connecting you with the history of some of the iconic climbs. I can understand if they annoy some locals on Irish roads though, these are minor events and not exactly "iconic". But really, out of all the things to pick up on (trash, roadside dumping, "donut" marks from car/motorbike tires, badly maintained surfaces) this would be low down on my list. We used to have kids drawing hopscotch marking everywhere during the summer.

Maybe CI should encourage people to use chalk for races, or some kind of temporary marking for sportives?

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    What race was it? It's rare you get to choose between a 50km and 125km route in a race - I'm sure the riders doing the 50km would win!
    Accepted that it wasn't a race, is it ok to call it a cycling event then?
    Anyway it was organised by 'The Reservoir Dog Sportive' www.thereservoirdogsportive.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I find it ironic that the charity involved is for a tidy town!! But I think the OP should be more concerned about countryside dumping of rubbish as opposed to road marking that will be gone soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Accepted that it wasn't a race, is it ok to call it a cycling event then?
    Anyway it was organised by 'The Reservoir Dog Sportive' www.thereservoirdogsportive.ie/
    Read all about it! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057607783

I find it ironic that the charity involved is for a tidy town!! But I think the OP should be more concerned about countryside dumping of rubbish as opposed to road marking that will be gone soon enough.
    OH! I most certainly am concerned with dumping and fly-tipping which is a plague in our area also. But I believe the act of spray painting the roads outside my house is a serious issue also. There are markings from past cycling events that are still visible after two years I see these every day when I’m out walking, whereas the cyclists only see them once. I wonder what would happen to me if I were to go to a Dublin residential area and paint arrows etc. outside people’s homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

OH! I most certainly am concerned with dumping and fly-tipping which is a plaguepin our area also. But I believe the act of spray painting the roads outside my house is a serious issue also. There are markings from past cycling events that are still visible after two years I see these every day when I’m out walking, whereas the cyclists only see them once. I wonder what would happen to me if I were to go to a Dublin residential area and paint arrows etc. outside people’s homes.

Nothing.

The roads are frequently marked because of roadworks engineering etc.

Some nice areas still have kids making hopscotch grids etc.

Instead of playing the martyr why not raise it with your local authority who might do something less dramatically satisfying like insist that event organisers use a substance that is more easily degraded and removed.

It'll be a story with no heroes or villains, just an effective resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I wonder what would happen to me if I were to go to a Dublin residential area and paint arrows etc. outside people’s homes.

Nothing! It Happens all the time...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

A few years ago I was in the Pyrenees to see a stage of the Tour de France. Some bright spark had painted a massive mickey on the road. Shortly before the race was due to arrive, a few lads in a mini-van pulled up, hopped out, and quickly painted it over with black paint.

Some job, driving around France for three weeks, blacking out offensive things on the road lest they appear in TV footage.

I'd say it was probably 90% mickeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Some job, driving around France for six weeks, blacking out offensive things on the road lest they appear in TV footage.

I'd say it was probably 90% mickeys.

That's quite the job description - "I paint people's mickeys"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

is it not more that he removes peoples mickeys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

le coq paintif :D

Paddy

PS Sorry, I'm already leaving....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I wonder what would happen to me if I were to go to a Dublin residential area and paint arrows etc. outside people’s homes.

You'd probably get duffed up in the suspicion you were about to fit a water meter. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

mossym wrote: »
    is it not more that he removes peoples mickeys?

Yeah, I think you have me there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the claim that they are gone in a month isn't always the case either. NTW run a cycle around lough derg every summer, their markings from the previous years are often visible yet new ones are painted. suir valley 3 day went outside the front door of where i work it would seem as there are plenty of markings, and despite heavy truck traffic they don;t go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

A few years ago I was in the Pyrenees to see a stage of the Tour de France. Some bright spark had painted a massive mickey on the road. Shortly before the race was due to arrive, a few lads in a mini-van pulled up, hopped out, and quickly painted it over with black paint.

If that was done by the council here they would paint directly over the white paint with the black paint, and all you'd have is a load of mickey shadows on the road :D

Spray painting is so overplayed, I power washed a 6" twig 'n berries onto my brothers driveway last year, the sister in law hates me for it :D

OP if it offends you so much get some graffiti remover to the one outside your house, or say it to the council and see does anything get done. I had a nice bit of junk in my garden and the ditch on my land next to the house after a sportive (and stuff tipped from cars) , the council gave me a black bag with the CoCo crest on it, I filled it with the junk, left it out, and the boys in the van collected it at some point, didn't cost me anything only a half hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can you believe that a commercial outfit that organises off road runs around Ireland paint the ground and rocks with big stupid arrows on the likes of the Wicklow Way, despite those already being waymarked. That takes all sorts of stupidity, both on behalf of the organisers, and the people that need such markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Things I can understand:

Angry about painting rocks/ground along scenic trails
    Painting mickeys or other lewd images/comments on the roads

Things I can't understand:

Getting angry about people painting direction or distance markers on the road - do you hold the same feeling towards standard road markings? Is it spoiling the natural beauty of smooth black tarmac (I'll admit, I get a bit warm and fuzzy when I see smooth, fresh tarmac) or is it that the road markings no longer serve a purpose?

Oh, we do have something similar in our nice dublin estates...they are called election posters. It's like wall-to-wall mickeys, old and wrinkled, winking at you and claiming they are the best mickey you'll ever have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Can you believe that a commercial outfit that organises off road runs around Ireland paint the ground and rocks with big stupid arrows on the likes of the Wicklow Way, despite those already being waymarked. That takes all sorts of stupidity, both on behalf of the organisers, and the people that need such markings.
    I fully agree...What is very sad is that the OP is being made out to be a grouch. FFS is the cycling community purposely not getting this? Spray painting a public road without permission is vandalism plain and simple.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Getting angry about people painting direction or distance markers on the road - do you hold the same feeling towards standard road markings?
    to be fair to the OP, there's no suggestion of anger about it.
    and there is a bit of whataboutery going on with the 'well, fly tipping is worse'.
    it'd be a bit silly to come into the cycling forum to complain about non-cycling related fly tipping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I fully agree...What is very sad is that the OP is being made out to be a grouch. FFS is the cycling community purposely not getting this? Spray painting a public road without permission is vandalism plain and simple.

In fairness I don't have an issue myself with them on the roads.

Advertisement