Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choir singers step down after abuse from parishioner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dykes can't sing

(only kidding)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

fryup wrote: »
    dykes can't sing

super helpful fryup.

*searches* nope still cant find your braincells mate sorry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Seems to me that the choir singers could have a thing or two to say in return about the ways in which that busybody fell short of the glory of God, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While I do understand that one can easily separate the enjoyment of music from the meaning of it, there's some level of cognitive dissonance required to stand and sing for the ceremonies of an institution which officially hates you and considers you second-class.

I'm expecting there's more to this than some random idiot sending messages. It's probably a small town and the guy is considered a "pillar of the community", so nobody calls him out on his crap. Hence why the two women can't just ignore him and are seemingly reluctant to make a complaint to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

seamus wrote: »
    While I do understand that one can easily separate the enjoyment of music from the meaning of it, there's some level of cognitive dissonance required to stand and sing for the ceremonies of an institution which officially hates you and considers you second-class.

I'm expecting there's more to this than some random idiot sending messages. It's probably a small town and the guy is considered a "pillar of the community", so nobody calls him out on his crap. Hence why the two women can't just ignore him and are seemingly reluctant to make a complaint to the Gardai.

The whole radio interview is online, I'm busy right now but will be listening to it later on. Until then I'm going to reserve judgement.

But if anyone wants to listen to it now:

http://kildaretoday.podomatic.com/entry/2016-09-08T07_44_43-07_00

Hope that link works!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The 'concerned parishioner' is a wee bit more than that is he not? Thought I read somewhere he's the editor of The Catholic Voice. Shame he hasn't the balls to admit he is who he is.

The 'concerned parishioner' is a wee bit more than that is he not? Thought I read somewhere he's the editor of The Catholic Voice. Shame he hasn't the balls to admit he is who he is.

seriously? i didnt see that but havnt read much more than the journal post on it, im waiting to get out of a meeting before i listen to the radio interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The opposition to gay marriage is as effective as sticking your finger in the proverbial dyke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

This link has more detail including the guys justification for this

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/09/08/different-him-sheet/

Absolute idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A lot of people who are overly critical of homosexuality turn out to be gay themselves.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    A lot of people who are overly critical of homosexuality turn out to be gay themselves.

any link to back that statement up there mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Or arseholes.

You often find that people who have funny notions about one thing have funny notions about everything else as well.

any link to back that statement up there mate?

Yes there are a few studies on the topic now. Here's a study which finds homophobia to be more pronounced in individuals with stronger tendencies towards same sex attractions. Link from ScienceDaily.

The study is the first to document the role that both parenting and sexual
    orientation play in the formation of intense and visceral fear of homosexuals,
    including self-reported homophobic attitudes, discriminatory bias, implicit
    hostility towards gays, and endorsement of anti-gay policies. Conducted by a
    team from the University of Rochester, the University of Essex, England, and the
    University of California in Santa Barbara, the research will be published the
    April issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

"Individuals who identify as straight but in psychological tests show a
    strong attraction to the same sex may be threatened by gays and lesbians because
    homosexuals remind them of similar tendencies within themselves," explains Netta
    Weinstein, a lecturer at the University of Essex and the study's lead
    author.

"In many cases these are people who are at war with themselves and they are
    turning this internal conflict outward," adds co-author Richard Ryan, professor
    of psychology at the University of Rochester who helped direct the research.

The paper includes four separate experiments, conducted in the United States
    and Germany, with each study involving an average of 160 college students. The
    findings provide new empirical evidence to support the psychoanalytic theory
    that the fear, anxiety, and aversion that some seemingly heterosexual people
    hold toward gays and lesbians can grow out of their own repressed same-sex
    desires, Ryan says. The results also support the more modern self-determination
    theory, developed by Ryan and Edward Deci at the University of Rochester, which
    links controlling parenting to poorer self-acceptance and difficulty valuing
    oneself unconditionally.

The findings may help to explain the personal dynamics behind some bullying
    and hate crimes directed at gays and lesbians, the authors argue. Media coverage
    of gay-related hate crimes suggests that attackers often perceive some level of
    threat from homosexuals. People in denial about their sexual orientation may
    lash out because gay targets threaten and bring this internal conflict to the
    forefront, the authors write.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

seamus wrote: »
    there's some level of cognitive dissonance required to stand and sing for the ceremonies of an institution which officially hates you

Ok I'm eagerly awaiting this one, you want to point out where this is said? Officially no less :)

Or are you, y'know talking bollocks?

huge difference between this

and this
    Here's a study which finds homophobia to be more pronounced in individuals with stronger tendencies towards same sex attractions. Link from ScienceDaily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Ok I'm eagerly awaiting this one, you want to point out where this is said? Officially no less :)

Or are you, y'know talking bollocks?

Well he has a point. I'm not sure I could go to mass every week let alone be active in the church knowing they find my lifestyle abhorrent.

huge difference between this

and this

Actually there's not a huge difference in implication.

Anyway I'll rephrase.

Homophobic feelings correlate positively with homosexuality according to this study.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

eviltwin wrote: »
    Well he has a point.

Nah, the Catholic Church doesn't have an official hate list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Id say your man Murphy sucks some amount of cocks alright

Nah, the Catholic Church doesn't have an official hate list.

It does have a massive issue with homosexuality. Some priests more vocal than others. Perhaps the priests in this parish are a bit more of the live and let live variety but it doesn't change the official line that two people of the same sex shouldn't be allowed marry etc.

• Advertisement

It does have a massive issue with homosexuality. Some priests more vocal than others. Perhaps the priests in this parish are a bit more of the live and let live variety but it doesn't change the official line that two people of the same sex shouldn't be allowed marry etc.

but what has got to do with them singing...

Nothing but clearly someone has a problem with it.....

Tell that to Murphy who seems to think it's very relevant.

Tell that to Murphy who seems to think it's very relevant.

but whats his argument, the catholic church doesn't recognise gay marriage, fair enough each to their own.

all they are doing is singing at mass and having out some wafers (body of christ, *nods* mumble mumble).

i wasnt aware you had to be the perfect catholic to be involved in mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What a petty little **** more, more concerned with BS rules and regulations than actually acting like a Christian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

In fairness the facebook page makes him and the cronies look like the biggest sack of stale santorum :

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1089083671127400&id=100000773325772

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

The guy is just a church wanker. He sounds like the kind of bully who latches onto positions of authority and actively seeks a reason to bully people. In this case two gay women getting married.

Observe

Jacinta, I hope you will now have the decency to resign from the church choir and as a eucharistic minister, following the events of last Wednesday [their wedding day].

Perhaps he ought to listen to his Pope and offer an apology for marginalising these two women.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-church-idUSKCN0ZC12E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As far as I can remember the bible hasn't got anything nice to say about the gays. They're all going to hell is the impression I get from most religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

What a petty little **** more, more concerned with BS rules and regulations than actually acting like a Christian.

What does acting like a christian mean? Helping your local priest cover up buggering kids is it?

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    As far as I can remember the bible hasn't got anything nice to say about the gays. They're all going to hell is the impression I get from most religions.

to be fair, we're all going to hell. gay or straight or inbetween.

its the repenting that will save you (us)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

valoren wrote: »
    ........... the kind of bully who latches onto positions of authority and actively seeks a reason to bully people. .............

Psycho behaviour that - they get well dodgy when they don't get their own way

to be fair, we're all going to hell. gay or straight or inbetween.

its the repenting that will save you (us)
    Oh right, so actively gay people can get into heaven?

What does acting like a christian mean? Helping your local priest cover up buggering kids is it?

being accepting of others,
    turning the other cheek (no gay pun intended but whayyhhey its there for the taking)
    doing onto others
    knowing loving and serving god
    love your neighbour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That clown of a councillor in Castlebar against an Educate Together School, cut from the same block as Murphy.
    One fool holding sway in their communities.

Oh right, so actively gay people can get into heaven?

from my understanding its the act of being gay the church disagrees with (the dirty filthy sex we all love). not that thoughts.

if you stop and repent i think they put you on the list...

*(from what i remember from school etc)

same as being straight you wont just get in, you have to essentially not have sex with anyone but the person you marry.

• Advertisement

being accepting of others,
    turning the other cheek (no gay pun intended but whayyhhey its there for the taking)
    doing onto others
    knowing loving and serving god
    love your neighbour
    But believing in god and groveling before him trumps all those things. He'll even forgive murdering someone as long as you grovel correctly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

I love stories like this.

Kicking people out of church that promotes love and acceptance of your fellow person.....just goes to show what a contradicting, sh*t show of an organization the catholic church is.

It'll hasten the dissolution of the church in Ireland.
    Until it modernizes and becomes something that people can get behind.
    I would love to see a modern church that serves the community and brings about positive change in our society.
    Woman priests, gays allowed, marriage etc.

I don't believe in God but I see the value in community religion and spirituality.

from my understanding its the act of being gay the church disagrees with (the dirty filthy sex we all love). not that thoughts.

same as being straight you wont just get in, you have to essentially not have sex with anyone but the person you marry.

That's the part a lot of people have a problem with. Why should two people who love each other and are doing no harm to anyone need to repent at all? Its insulting.

So now that we have gay marriage they can get into heaven now?

Being gay isn't an act, no more than being straight is an act. It's a part of them as much as needing to go for a shyte is a part of all of us. For god to put that in them and then tell them it's wrong, and set everyone else against them is the height of cruelty. Because god obviously didn't make a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

You're correct, far as i can remember the Bible hasn't too much niceness to say bout women either, perhaps Mr.Murphy in Kildare would like them removed from the Church too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's the part a lot of people have a problem with. Why should two people who love each other and are doing no harm to anyone need to repent at all? Its insulting.

i think everyone has to repent though,

isnt the idea we all sin just by existing?
    im not sure but isnt there a line in some prayer about ''in my thoughts'' ?

lads i dont get it either, i think its wrong. but im just putting the other side of the argument out there,

im straight, but according to what i was taught growing up sin everyday, im greedy, i get angry, i am spiteful sometimes the usual being human stuff, from what i remember everyone gets in if you repent.

even the murderers

So now that we have gay marriage they can get into heaven now?

Being gay isn't an act, no more than being straight is an act. It's a part of them as much as needing to go for a shyte is a part of all of us. For god to put that in them and then tell them it's wrong, and set everyone else against them is the height of cruelty. Because god obviously didn't make a mistake.

sex is an act. thats what i was referring to, stop trying to twist my post.

man shall not lie with man the way he lies with women (or something along those lines)

what id say Mister Murphy is does he eat shellfish? thats a sin,

i think everyone has to repent though,

im not sure but isnt there a line in some prayer about ''in my thoughts'' ?

lads i dont get it either, i think its wrong. but im just putting the other side of the argument out there,

im straight, but according to what i was taught growing up sin everyday, im greedy, i get angry, i am spiteful sometimes the usual being human stuff, from what i remember everyone gets in if you repent.

even the murderers

That's the bit I have a problem with. Repenting means saying sorry. What have these women got to be sorry for. And seeing as how they aren't going to change isn't repentance just an empty gesture?

sex is an act. thats what i was referring to, stop trying to twist my post.
    You say "the act of being gay". Maybe you meant something different but I can only go on what you wrote.
    man shall not lie with man the way he lies with women (or something along those lines)

what id say Mister Murphy is does he eat shellfish? thats a sin,
    Even god saying the act of sex is a sin is an attack on humanity. He makes it illegal for us to reproduce and keep our species going without his approval.

If god made us in his image, then he must be a little bit gay. Maybe gay people are he's own homosexuality breaking out. I guess it does line up with his narcissism. He not only loves himself but is also sexually attracted to himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

That's actually the single most horrible thing I've ever heard in half a lifetime of being a Christian and a quarter more of a lifetime being an atheist. I know for a fact you didn't mean it a thousandth part as horrible as it actually is. I know that it's just another way of trying to say what I referred to earlier, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23), but it really brings it home that our birth brought something into being that was literally disgusting and anathema to God before we could possibly have done anything to deserve His wrath. And the implications of that are staggering.

Speedwell wrote: »
    And the implications of that are staggering.
    Indeed, god would make a horrible person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Well he has a point. I'm not sure I could go to mass every week let alone be active in the church knowing they find my lifestyle abhorrent.

Trumped up 'homophobia".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yes, yes it does, about as much as being an atheist requires you to be a snide horrible condescending individual constantly spewing hyperbole....

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

Why the surprise?

If you are a member of the Nazi Party and you are dating a Jewish girl or if you were a member of the Communist Party and you owned a small business what do you think would happen?

What next? Pork eating bikini wearing Muslims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If you are a member of the Nazi Party and you are dating a Jewish girl

It would probably rule out sexy shower time.
    or if you were a member of the Communist Party and you owned a small business what do you think would happen?

If you're paying by monthly subscription then it's probably best to cancel the direct debit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement