Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choir singers step down after abuse from parishioner

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

ScumLord wrote: »
    You say "the act of being gay". Maybe you meant something different but I can only go on what you wrote.

maybe you should try reading what i wrote mate let me put it in bold to make it easier for you... I said
    from my understanding its the act of being gay the church disagrees with (the dirty filthy sex we all love)

get it?

before you go around twisting people posts remember its the internet it stays there, read the whole post before trying to create an argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The guy's a dick but he's not wrong. You can't preach that a group of people are intrinsically disordered by nature and evilly sinful by their actions and then hold them up as pillars of he church, the two are mutually exclusive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Speedwell wrote: »
    That's actually the single most horrible thing I've ever heard in half a lifetime of being a Christian and a quarter more of a lifetime being an atheist. I know for a fact you didn't mean it a thousandth part as horrible as it actually is. I know that it's just another way of trying to say what I referred to earlier, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23), but it really brings it home that our birth brought something into being that was literally disgusting and anathema to God before we could possibly have done anything to deserve His wrath. And the implications of that are staggering.

Don't worry about it :p
    (Matthew 18:3) "Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven." Jesus said we must become converted and like little children. He would not tell us to do this if children were truly born totally depraved. If they were born as totally depraved that would mean that there is nothing in them that is not depraved and therefore we should not become like children in any sense

There's a quote in there for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

gctest50 wrote: »
    In fairness the facebook page makes him and the cronies look like the biggest sack of stale santorum :

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1089083671127400&id=100000773325772

Nice touch on that post. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Don't worry about it :p
    There's a quote in there for everything

You'd think so, wouldn't you? The fact that there actually is not played a big part in my deconversion. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Murphy's follow up interview, he just keeps digging...
    “If Tesco had a sign saying ‘don’t buy here, go to Dunnes’ or if someone at a Sinn Féin Ardfheis said ‘Vote Fine Gael’, they’d do something,” he said. The email he sent the couple on July 23rd, three days after they married, emphasised that he did not wish to judge them or fall out with them.

By virtue of the fact they are gay they are somehow an open advertisement for the homosexual lifestyle? :rolleyes:
    They “had chosen to marry in a public way, issuing invitations to choir members,” he said.
    He accused local Athy Sinn Féin councillor Thomas Redmond of launching “a campaign of social media terrorism” against him, “Sinn Féin who oppose almost everything the church stands for, supports the parish priest [in this case]. It’s a bizarre alliance,” he said.
    He said gardaí had advised him “not to attend Sunday Mass this Sunday [at St Michael’s] for my own personal safety”.

Irish Times 9th Sept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Murphy's follow up interview, he just keeps digging...[/URL]

That tactic of saying "I am totally not doing what I am doing" to the person you are doing it to has been increasingly popular, hasn't it? As well as the "I would never say you're crazy and violent but I just have to protect myself to be safe" gambit? Donald Trump is especially known for both. It's as obvious as a cat trying to cover its sh!t on a bare kitchen floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

eviltwin wrote: »
    Well he has a point. I'm not sure I could go to mass every week let alone be active in the church knowing they find my lifestyle abhorrent.

I genuinely feel sorry for gay people who hold to the Catholic faith. I know of a lesbian couple(late 50's/early 60's). Never been "out" but live next door to each other and have been together for donkies. Never came out as both are religious church goers. They aren't bible bashers by any means, just lovely women who believe in Jesus. I feel for them.
    How can you give up your faith if you really believe? They cant change that no more than can change their sexuality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I wonder how vocal Murphy was in relation to child sex abuse and Brady and co?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I wish they hadn't stepped down. Nothing harms free speech and freedom in general more than when bullies are vindicated in their belief that harassment can shut people up.

I don't blame them for stepping down obviously, what they went through was horrific, but I wish they'd been given more support and encouragement to stick it out and not let themselves be bullied. Those assholes who engaged in the harassment will come away from this thinking "great, next time somebody does something we don't like, we can just do this again!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I saw an update today that they are returning to the choir because of the level of support they received from the community, which would restore your faith in the decency of most people.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gay-couple-felt-forced-to-resign-from-church-choir-following-pressure-from-fellow-church-goer-753870.html

I wish they hadn't stepped down. Nothing harms free speech and freedom in general more than when bullies are vindicated in their belief that harassment can shut people up.

I don't blame them for stepping down obviously, what they went through was horrific, but I wish they'd been given more support and encouragement to stick it out and not let themselves be bullied. Those assholes who engaged in the harassment will come away from this thinking "great, next time somebody does something we don't like, we can just do this again!"

Advertisement