Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careless driving conviction and insurance

• 09-09-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I got convicted for careless driving 8 years ago

got 5 penalty points and a €300 fine do i need to still tell the insurance companies about the conviction

i now have 3 years no claims and my insurance this year is 800

in my late 40's

thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're probably referring to a situation where you're asking for a quote, I'd definitely mention it but in most cases it would probably be outside the window and they'd disregard it but that's a decision for them, not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Most companies will ask if you have had any claims or convictions in the last 5 years, just say no, you are not lying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

What about when companies ask if you've ever had a conviction? Is there a time limit as to whether driving convictions can affect insurance? Non-drink driving convictions if that makes a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

What about when companies ask if you've ever had a conviction? Is there a time limit as to whether driving convictions can affect insurance? Non-drink driving convictions if that makes a difference?
    I don't know, I have never been asked that for my insurance, just the last 3/5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

If they don't mention s time frame when they ask the "have you had a conviction" question, then regardless of when it was, I'd imagine you need to tell them about it. If it's an older conviction, they will probably disregard it, but as another poster said, that's their decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Thanks for the replies lads.

Advertisement