Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An end to BSL?

• 09-09-2016 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

So it has finally happened, after doing a review of the current breed restrictions in Ireland over the last number of months, Veterinary Ireland are calling on the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government Simon Coveney to end dog breed-specific regulations in Ireland.

Maybe now we can get rid of the nonsense idea that because a dog looks a certain way it will behave in one way or another.

http://www.veterinaryireland.ie/images/Veterinary_Ireland_Policy_on_Control_of_Dogs_2016.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

More specifically, they're calling for a "restrict the dog, not the breed" legislation, but they are stressing that the existing BSL should not be removed until something better is put in place;
    New legislation is required to clearly define the nature of effectual control as it currently applies to each dog, and the responsibilities of the dog owner to ensure both public safety and animal welfare are maintained. While not prioritizing one over the other, in the interest of public safety, breed specific legislation should not be repealed until an adequate and more effective piece of legislation is enacted in its place. Future legislation should focus on the role and responsibilities and duty of care of the dog owner and the basic welfare entitlements of the dog, in order to protect the safety of the public, the dog owning population, the agricultural sector and the dog itself.

Of course the problem is that unqualified groups like the farmers association and some child welfare groups will be heard on this topic, given an equal footing to Veterinary Ireland and their hysterical nonsense will go unchallenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Great news, I have a lovely little staffy X terrier would love if he didn't have to spend his life wearing a muzzle because he's a real pet and loves meeting people and other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I don't think they could have said it in clearer terms.

"Veterinary Ireland does not believe that breed is a sufficient determinant of risk of injury and calls on the Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government to conduct a full review of all dog control legislation in light of current scientific opinion and international best practice. Future legislation should be grounded in scientific opinion and focused on the education of dog owners and the general public while maintaining the welfare of the dog population"

I only hope that the minister will listen to the scientific evidence as opposed to the old wives tails and hearsay that the current legislation is based on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Never going to happen.Not in this country.Ireland is way too backward and the politicians to corrupt and disinterested to even read that.With the new minister(Can't even remember his name) an avid hunter..you really think he's going to bother? I'm thoroughly disillusioned with the state of irish animal welfare laws and their enforcement. I'm hoping to leave this country sooner than later...the article in the daily mirror about the irish greyhound boiled alive in china is just another example how little the irish politicians care..and how ignorant a good part of the irish population still is. Present company excluded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Never going to happen.Not in this country.Ireland is way too backward and the politicians to corrupt and disinterested to even read that.With the new minister(Can't even remember his name) an avid hunter..you really think he's going to bother? I'm thoroughly disillusioned with the state of irish animal welfare laws and their enforcement. I'm hoping to leave this country sooner than later...the article in the daily mirror about the irish greyhound boiled alive in china is just another example how little the irish politicians care..and how ignorant a good part of the irish population still is. Present company excluded

I was feeling quite optimistic this morning, till I read this :p Having seen the VI statement and seeing it shared all over the place, and then a Dementia village is being built in Limerick, like the Dutch ones, I was actually thinking that we are changing, and at the forefront of things, instead of being dragged along.

I shall go back to my happy place ;)

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    I was feeling quite optimistic this morning, till I read this :p Having seen the VI statement and seeing it shared all over the place, and then a Dementia village is being built in Limerick, like the Dutch ones, I was actually thinking that we are changing, and at the forefront of things, instead of being dragged along.

I shall go back to my happy place ;)

I need to find me a happy place. I wish I had never seen that video, even though I switched off within 10 seconds.Still crying my eyes out.:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I need to find me a happy place. I wish I had never seen that video, even though I switched off within 10 seconds.Still crying my eyes out.:(:(

I didn't watch it, couldn't do it.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I didn't watch it, couldn't do it.

it started playing without me activating it on facebook. stupid setting there...It's going to be a lot of wine-night tonight. Sorry for being off topic mod.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I was a bit confused as to why it was going to Coveney - I know he signed in the microchipping leg last year as Minister for Agric, Food and Marine so I had a quick google of dog-specific legislation:

1986 Control of Dogs Act: Minister for Environment
    1991 Control of Dogs Regs: Flynn as Minister for Environment
    2010 Dog Breeding Establishments Act: Hogan as Minister for Environment
    2013 Animal Health and Welfare Act: Coveney as Minister for Agric, Food and Marine
    2015 Microchipping Legislation: Coveney as Minister for Agric, Food and Marine

Is there a reason these bills were brought by different departments? I don't know enough about the Irish legislative process in this area to understand the overlap.

On Veterinary Ireland's comments, the original 1986 Act covers everything from stray dogs to worrying of livestock. Removal of the BSL regs (enacted in 1991) wouldn't affect the original legislation which covers everything else. Contrary to what I believed (after reading Alan Kelly's comments on BSL previously), an owner's liability for a "dangerous dog" (as defined in the 1986 act) is covered in the 1986 act and has nothing to do with the 1991 regs covering restricted breeds.

TLDR You could get rid of the 1991 BSL regs without impacting the legislation covering everything else (including an owner's liability in the case of a dog attack). I don't see a reason to wait until the new legislation is written to abolish BSL.

Also, if it is Coveney that is charge of addressing this issue, he's now Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government. Given the other areas covered by his brief, I just can't see where the political pressure will come from to put this through. If he showed any attention to this there would immediately be pics of mauled kids in the papers and more stories of homeless families raising kids in hotels. The media backlash he'd get for paying any attention to the issue when we have an apparent homeless crisis wouldn't make it worth his while to even put that report in his in-tray.

• Advertisement

Choc Chip wrote: »
    Also, if it is Coveney that is charge of addressing this issue, he's now Minister for Housing, Planning, Community and Local Government. Given the other areas covered by his brief, I just can't see where the political pressure will come from to put this through. If he showed any attention to this there would immediately be pics of mauled kids in the papers and more stories of homeless families raising kids in hotels. The media backlash he'd get for paying any attention to the issue when we have an apparent homeless crisis wouldn't make it worth his while to even put that report in his in-tray.

:(:(:(:(:(

:(:(:(:(:(

Sorry! That was very pessimistic of me.

it's realistic not pessimistic. Unfortuantely. Im going to find a happy place like Muddy paws. And keep saving to get a hop off this island soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Advertisement