Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Baths demolishion/redevelopement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I think I'll make use of it for the following reason: I was checking lately to see how clean the water was at Bull Island, and it had the 'excellent' rating, which is the highest rating. However on one of the official websites it said that this means that there is a 97% chance you won't get sick from swimming in the water.

A 3% chance of catching something, e-coli or whatever, doesn't sound good to me. And that's when it's 'excellent'. It can dip below that as well. If you go swimming a couple of dozen times, the odds are against you. At least the water in this pool will be filtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any idea of the pool dimensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

MisterDrak wrote: »

I do like the line "The company had not yet decided on what basis or when the Sea water would be warmed up". Cause its not going to happen... No way it would be viable for the operators to try to heat that volume of water on an ongoing basis.

In Germany, most outdoor swimming pools are heated 365 days a year. It is supposed to incredible in cities like Munich and Berlin swimming in a warm outdoor pool, when the air is -15 degrees and it is snowing. I would imagine this pool will be heated in the winter. AFAIK gas and electricity are cheaper here than in Germany. Plus Irish pools are never warm compared to pools in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Plus Irish pools are never warm compared to pools in other countries
    There is a trade-off between warmth and hygiene. Warm breeds bacteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,094 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think I'll make use of it for the following reason: I was checking lately to see how clean the water was at Bull Island, and it had the 'excellent' rating, which is the highest rating. However on one of the official websites it said that this means that there is a 97% chance you won't get sick from swimming in the water.

A 3% chance of catching something, e-coli or whatever, doesn't sound good to me. And that's when it's 'excellent'. It can dip below that as well. If you go swimming a couple of dozen times, the odds are against you. At least the water in this pool will be filtered.

I think most of the 3% occurs after heavy rain showers rather than being totally random.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I do like the line "The company had not yet decided on what basis or when the Sea water would be warmed up". Cause its not going to happen... No way it would be viable for the operators to try to heat that volume of water on an ongoing basis

A few solar panels on the south facing roof of the pavillion would help a lot. It's a lot of water but it doesn't need to be hot enough to take a bath!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

There is a trade-off between warmth and hygiene. Warm breeds bacteria.

This is a sea water pool, so it is far more difficult for pathogens to grow

Plus Ireland is not a third world country. You can add chemicals to the water to prevent pathogens growing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not a hope in hell that it will be open in six weeks. I'd say they have another month before it's watertight.

(Based on my vast experience of watching Grand Designs!) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This is a sea water pool, so it is far more difficult for pathogens to grow

Plus Ireland is not a third world country. You can add chemicals to the water to prevent pathogens growing

Your comment was about 'Irish pools' not about this pool, so that was the context of my response. Chlorine helps keep bacteria down, but it's not a panacea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,094 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not a hope in hell that it will be open in six weeks. I'd say they have another month before it's watertight.
    (Based on my vast experience of watching Grand Designs!) :rolleyes:

Actually a Grand Designs on the building of this structure would be an interesting one... and (assuming no disasters) great publicity for the place itself!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What's the story with parking at this location?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Actually a Grand Designs on the building of this structure would be an interesting one... and (assuming no disasters) great publicity for the place itself!

You're right but it's a commercial building so don't think it would qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

What's the story with parking at this location?

There spots for around 20-30 cars, however its "unofficial parking" at the moment. If this facility does get popular then I can see absolute "carnage" :D at the busy times.

There is a better car park about 400m up the road at the bottom of Vernon Ave, but it 400m and most people just wont walk, rather probably double park around Oulton road.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

According to the planning application There will be 15 new car park spaces provided. While this may be adequate to meet planning requirements for the cafe, it is nowhere near enough for a swimming facility. An bord pleanala report deemed there is adequate public transport available but they are living in a fantasy land if they think people wont use their cars to get to this.

It will be a similar situation to Saturdays mornings at St Annes park stables. Cars double parked and left on grass verges by the "shure it'll be grand" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Funny, reading the blurb and there is little mention of actual swimming !!!

"We’ll be providing a place for family gatherings, business lunches, evening dinner and cocktail drinkers"...

Obviously they will make far more money from the food and drink, but to not mention swimming at all...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Just another overpriced eatery for the Clontarf set then. I wonder how much they'll charge to use the pool? At least 10 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just another overpriced eatery for the Clontarf set then. I wonder how much they'll charge to use the pool? At least 10 I'd say.
    The only 2 private (ie non-council) pools I've used in Dublin cost €15 at regular times (NAC) and €7.50 (Mespil), even the council pools at €7, so yeah I'd imagine a fancy new outdoor pool will be €12ish.

Swimming polls aren't cheap unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

It reminds me of Brockwell Park lido/cafe if anyone is familiar with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The only 2 private (ie non-council) pools I've used in Dublin cost €15 at regular times (NAC) and €7.50 (Mespil), even the council pools at €7, so yeah I'd imagine a fancy new outdoor pool will be €12ish.

Swimming polls aren't cheap unfortunately.

Here in London I pay around £5-6 to get into a Lido. Granted there are more of them here and they are not as fancy looking as these new baths.

Most people will head for a full afternoon on a sunny day rather than just for 30-45 minutes for a quick swim. So 10-12 euro would be fine I guess.

But they should have cheaper options for people who will primarily use it for daily swimming. For example, Lidos in London all offer very cheap entrance early in the morning between 7-10am. And also offer season tickets for the summer at reasonable prices.

There spots for around 20-30 cars, however its "unofficial parking" at the moment. If this facility does get popular then I can see absolute "carnage" :D at the busy times.

There is a better car park about 400m up the road at the bottom of Vernon Ave, but it 400m and most people just wont walk, rather probably double park around Oulton road.

If the bike track runs buy it, we'll a permanent deployment of these folks.

https://twitter.com/Cyclistie/status/892300936504369152

Yep, The cycle lane would cut across the car park access for the pool (or is it a Bar / Restaurant ?).

Actually its pretty similar to the car park just up the road at the Bram Stoker, where it cuts the cycle lane. Iv had a few close shaves there myself...

Drove past on Sunday and progress is still glacially slow...

Their September deadline is looking increasingly dodgy !

Drove past on Sunday and progress is still glacially slow...

Their September deadline is looking increasingly dodgy !

Maybe opening will be pushed back to October or November when it will be actually glacial there

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Yep, The cycle lane would cut across the car park access for the pool (or is it a Bar / Restaurant ?).

Actually its pretty similar to the car park just up the road at the Bram Stoker, where it cuts the cycle lane. Iv had a few close shaves there myself...

I was just thinking about parking while cycling past it the other day. I fear the bike lane is about to be blocked by illegally parked car! In fact, it's guaranteed.

There is very little parking here, the article in the paper mentions proximity to the dart... but that's a good walk and no way people will use that as a mean of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

Anyone know if you can become a member of this? Would be great if they had a few members swimming hours in the mornings and evenings.

Still a long way from being finished, nearer the time there should be info available.

Probably well into the new year at the current rate of progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Development of Clontarf Baths small update and photos https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/documents/s13034/The%20Baths%20NCAC%20Update.pdf
    Due to the sensitive nature of the site and the harsh conditions of building in a marine environment, the
    reconstruction of the Baths has gone vastly over budget.
    Objective
    The Baths will reopen in 2018 and will be made available for public use. The extent of this availability is yet to
    be determined and will rely heavily on the level of community support.
    Goals
    We want to engage with the local community and the wider communities; individuals, swimming clubs, sports
    clubs, triathletes and schools. We wish to provide a safe environment with full disabled access, quality sea
    water, and a space for activities such as swimming lessons, polo matches, charity events, seawater
    competitions at International level, rehabilitation therapy and more.

Advertisement