Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to increase the house prices in an area ?

Options
  • 09-09-2016 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hypothetical situation

If you were a developer, and you bought a few house in a normal area say Baldoyle, or Raheny. What could you build, or do to them towns to affect the prices of property in the area. Would simply building and letting out retail units have much effect?. Or would you be better off trying to do deals with local authorities to increase public transport in the area?

What would you do to increase the value of property ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you want to cause an impression of value, nobble the local EAs to ensure anything equivalent gets hiked in notional value to what you claim. They won't sell, but it'll keep the comparisons difficult/impossible for a while for buyers.

Everything else takes decades - except maybe building a train/luas line, which will only take half a decade. Improved schools, nicer built and soft environment, better quality of shops, etc, etc all have an impact but it takes ages for it to really take hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

My neighbors would say me moving out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Make the local schools best in the country house prices will follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Engage in wholesale shilling on boards.ie about how good Kilbarrack is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Apple Brand it and tell people they are

Simple, Elegant, Future

Making houses before there were houses

Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hypothetical situation

If you were a developer, and you bought a few house in a normal area say Baldoyle, or Raheny.

Starting calling them 'Sutton North' or 'Clontarf North' :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Have the local councillors change the boundaries- so it appears to be part of a more affluent area? Its the age old ploy developers used to 'add value' to properties. You don't honestly think Lucan included Neilstown, Clondalkin, Balgaddy, Newcastle and chunks of Leixlip within its boundaries? E.g.- you know that housing estate up beside Westin Airport- and indeed Westin itself- that was all Leixlip........... As for Adamstown- and the whole D22 area- sigh..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Starting calling them 'Sutton North' or 'Clontarf North' :D

Or Dalkey North North

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm pretty sure all of South County Dublin is Foxrock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm pretty sure all of South County Dublin is Foxrock.

You know- I honestly haven't a clue where the hell Foxrock actually is............
    More to the point- given the people who constantly go-on about living there- I'm not sure I really care.......

Addresses have been so badly mangled- they mean SFA anymore- yet, at the same time- they have the ability to add or detract large sums of money from the value of a property..........

Maybe I'm getting old- the wonder and awe I had about certain areas when I was younger- has evaporated totally- I guess I'm becoming more and more cynical..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

All parts of the Northside that are East of the DART line, are actually the Southside but are not correctly priced.

OP I suggest a 'twinning' scheme.

So Baldoyle is twinned with Booterstown

Sutton is twinned with Sandycove

Clontarf is twinned with Ringsend meh Sandymount

Howth is twinned with (apologies to Howthies)...Bray

And watch those house prices soar.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Pay off the appropriate person in the local authority so you can avoid your Part 5 social/affordable housing obligations and keep the riff raff out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Generally speaking local authorities have no control over transport. There is not much market for outlying retail properties. You will just end up with empty frontage.

To make this economic you would need a significant number of units under your control. This is the problem with property development. You are generally building up the neighbours' property values with your development.

However for the areas described and if I controlled 30 or 40 units on a block that I needed to get sold over two years, I would subsidise a hip cafe or restaurant on the block. It would need to have some sort of fame beyond the area to draw people in and the easiest way to do this would be to attract a 'name'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Tin Roofer

listermint wrote: »
    Apple Brand it and tell people they are

Simple, Elegant, Future

Making houses before there were houses

Apple.

Don't forget courage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Tin Roofer

Hypothetical situation

If you were a developer, and you bought a few house in a normal area say Baldoyle, or Raheny. What could you build, or do to them towns to affect the prices of property in the area. Would simply building and letting out retail units have much effect?. Or would you be better off trying to do deals with local authorities to increase public transport in the area?

Artificially reduce / control supply?

Not sure it would be economical viable to do for 'a few houses' though.

Advertisement