Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time vaping "mod"

Options
  • 09-09-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

So I've been vaping for a couple of months now and ready to move from the most basic "pen" to a "mod". (think I have the terminology right, probably don't!)

I've heard mention of cuboids and kangertech mods.

A few quick questions

can you recommend a decent one for around 50-60 quid?

what is the best value place to buy them?

also roughly how much does maintenance cost? ie. do you spend much monthly on replacement coils and what not?

any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Big selection out there, are you after a mod on it's own where you add a separate tank or an all in one, good value mod on it's own is the eleaf ipower, long lasting built in battery, cost about 47 euro minus discounts available. You'll need a tank for this one though.
    A good all in one,mod and tank is the Evic AIO, seperate 18650 battery required and a charger,about 85 euro in total.
    Can't do links at the moment here but you can get either from ESI or bestshop. Ask here for discount codes before you purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

If you are ordering an Ipower and providing you don't mind waiting 2 or 3 weeks for delivery fasttech has them for just over €30

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

You're opening a big can of worms for yourself.
    What kind of vaping are you after? That will determine what you need.

If it's mouth to lung (what you've probably doing with the pen), then you can't go wrong with an iStick - pretty much any of them that go over 20w. I have an iStick Pico which I love.
    The Pico will work for direct lung too, unless you want REALLY high wattage, but that's beyond my comfort zone.

For mtl tanks, the GS Air line are great, and cheap to run - coils are cheap. I hear the Nautilus are good too. For Direct lung, the Cleito seems to get good reports.

First thing though, is decide what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

thanks, yeah I suppose mouth to lung for me.

If I went for an I Stick what sort of costs would you build monthly for coils etc?

also stupid question no doubt but what advantage does high wattage give?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Menoetius wrote: »

If I went for an I Stick what sort of costs would you build monthly for coils etc?

Costs vary hugely, but for me, I'd use maybe one, two tops, coils a month. Roughly 6 euro a month for coils and whatever I spend on liquid separate (liquid costs me about 15-20 euro a month, I buy big bottles and make my own).

Some liquid tastes better at higher wattage. Some coils work better at higher wattage.

With coils for mouth to lung vaping (the type you're doing now), they have a resistance (how much power they let through essentially). In the pen style, it's usually 2.2.

With the likes of a mouth to lung mod and tank set up, it'll be about 1.5-1.8 ohms. This will run at a slightly higher wattage than your pen type, which will give you nicer flavour and a better throat hit. Most people using those resistance coils vape around 12w. The pen style runs at about 8w.

Going into "direct to lung" vaping would have you using a low resistance coil, like 0.5, and they run at 23-35w usually. It's a much stronger hit, so you have to drop nicotine strength. It uses more liquid, because higher wattage means faster heating liquid.

• Advertisement

Brilliant thanks for the info folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭j26m

Menoetius wrote: »

High wattage gives more flavour and vapour with low resistance coils (sub-ohm). Really only for direct lung. Anything over 20w will do you, although you may want features like temperature control to future proof it.

The tank is seperate from the mod - the mod is essentially a smart battery which attaches to the tank. The tank does the vapour producing business. You can change tanks as you see fit as long as it is compatible with the connections on the mod (usually 510 connections) and has sufficient power for the tank.
    The 1.5 ohm coils for the GS Air M (or MS) tanks are about 2.50 each - generally they last me 7-10 days, but can last longer.
    Nautilus X tank coils cost about 3 quid each, but don't seem to last as long.
    I've no experience of the Nautilus Mini coils.

Edit:
    If cost is a concern, mixing your own juice is an option - you can make decent juice for 4-5 euros for 100ml, although you have to invest a bit up front. It's not difficult. That's a 2 week supply for me.... ðŸ˜

Ok so I have decided on the below

https://www.fasttech.com/products/5365600

can anyone advise what else I need to order to complete the set up

It says 2 "coil heads" are included. do these include coils?
    would I need to order more coils? am looking at 1.5 - 1.8 from the above posts but there was 388 options when I typed "coils" ? :o

also batteries, what would ye recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

theres a PICo for sale in the other thread - quicker postage and a reliable seller here on boards

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101039173&postcount=5025

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭mossymac!

Well, you have the option of 26650 or 18650 type batteries for this
    - have no experience with 26650 so I'll skip over that.
    - the 18650's are useable in most other mods so prolly the best bet (larger mah, larger capacity)
    - Sony VTC4 2100mah
    - Samsung 25R 2500mah
    - LG HE2 2500mah
    - LG HG2 3000mah
    - You can charge this device via USB cable, however most will tell you that you are better off charging the battery in a proper external charger. Then you'd want two batteries to swap around and a Nitecore charger to charge them. This decision can be tabled 'till later because the USB charge will do fine to get started.

As for coils - tons of choice you have the Melo III coils (straight wattage)
    - Eleaf ECL Coil Head 0.3ohm
    - Eleaf ECML Coil Head 0.75ohm Mouth to Lung
    - Eleaf MELO Replacement EC Coil Head 0.5ohm
    - Eleaf EC-Ceramic Coil Head 0.5ohm
    - Eleaf Replacement ECL Coil Head 0.18ohm
    And the Melo Temperature Control coils
    - Eleaf Replacement EC TC-Ni Coil Head 0.15ohm
    - Eleaf Replacement EC TC-Ti Coil Head 0.5ohm

The Kit ships with a 0.3ohm, 0.5ohm & 0.25ohm coils so I'd be inclined to get some of the 0.75ohm MTL coils as these would provide a good transition from what you've used up to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

There's a version of that mod now with a built in battery. Much lass hassle (IMO). No tank with this kit though.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/770-40w-eleaf-istick-power-nano-express-kit.html

Cheap too and you'll get it by Friday instead of two weeks time with Fasttech.

Advertisement