Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KCC roads insanity

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

L1011 wrote: »
    This may turn in to a megathread (if the content keeps coming and the mods allow)

In the same year as commissioning a traffic survey of Maynooth when the college was off and the Irish Open was on - distorting weekday down and weekend massively up - KCC's Roads Department have now delivered us these lovely cycle lanes:

http://www.kildarenow.com/news/these-new-cycle-lanes-in-clane-are-extremely-odd-looking-and-are-attracting-plenty-of-negative-attention/116288

Note the solid white line, meaning you can't pass a cyclist either.

Who is in charge here and why are we still paying them?

The cyclists will still use the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

i drove through Maynooth (and surrounding areas) on Thursday at 6:30pm, and again around 9pm, and there were no issues with ice at all IMO.
    at 6:30pm there was so much traffic that there was no chance of dangerous conditions setting in.
    9pm was fine too as it had subsequently rained and not frozen.

the Dublin Rd. was gritted the next morning at 7am, so presumably they chose to prioritise gritting overnight, rather than sending out teams in the middle of the afternoon for little benefit.

According to KCC Twitter (6 hours ago)

Roads salted 7.30pm Thurs night & 2.30am Fri morn. For current salting routes please click on link -

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/WinterRoadSaltingRoutes/County%20Kildare%20Salting%20Route%202015-2016%20Rev%20B.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Traffic at 730 in Maynooth is quite similar to during the day, when we were told quite categorically that there was too much traffic to salt. Hrm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I hear and see them salting the Straffan Road regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Flibble wrote:
    Sign gone up in Maynooth at the junction by Esso saying the Straffan Road will be closed off this Saturday & Sunday. I THINK it said in the evening but can't be sure, did anyone see the times displayed?

Might have been 7pm to 9am. Or 9pm to 7am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

judeboy101 wrote: »
    The cyclists will still use the road

If the picture escaped your attention the cycle lanes are on the road. But thanks for your wonderfully informed input.

You'd think they might have this on their website; but the most recent road closure is from April 2016.

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/TemporaryRoadClosures/

Usual finger on the pulse from KCC alright.

Any idea if it's the whole Straffan road? Is it from Esso to Main St or Esso to the M4? Will there be local access for estates on that road? Some more information from KCC would be wonderful - if not actually expected.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Might have been 7pm to 9am. Or 9pm to 7am.

Much worse - 7am to 9pm is what the sign on the Celbridge Road saya!

Much worse - 7am to 9pm is what the sign on the Celbridge Road saya!

Any idea why? Still nothing on KCC site. Maybe they're finally burning off the old lines and repainting them.

Resurfacing is what the sign says. Not burning off the old, dangerously inaccurate lines because it was going to be resurfaced months later is more incompetent penny-pinching.

• Advertisement

Why was I not informed about a road closure?
    Prior to any public road being closed, a “Notice of Intention” and a “Notice of Decision” are advertised in a local paper circulating in the area in question. Information regarding road closures is also available on the Council’s website.

Anyone see anything about this in the local rags? Can't find anything on the KCC website.

Didn't read last weeks Champion intently, will check it when I get home. No other local paper is read in North Kildare to any great extent, but the Southern bias of the permanent staff of the council would mean I wouldn't be surprised if they put Maynooth notices in the Nationalist!

The could have put it in the Leader I suppose but that's got a South Kildare focus - not widely read this end of the woods.

So I got on to KCC and they got back to me saying they've now added it to the alerts section of the site: http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/emergencynews/wp/
    Road resurfacing works are scheduled for Staffan Road (R406), Maynooth on Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd January 2017.

Friday 20th January - 8pm until 4am - Stop/Go Road restrictions in place from the Maxol Garage Junction to the Glen Royal Junction.
    Delays are expected.
    Saturday and Sunday, 21st and 22nd January - 7am until 9pm - Road between Maxol Garage traffic lights and the Glen Royal to be closed to all through traffic except for Dublin/ Bus Eireann buses.
    Residents, who are served by the estates off this section of the Straffan Road, will be able to get in and out of their estates, but may be restricted on which side that access may be permitted, depending on the progress of the laying of the surface course.
    Access to the train station will be maintained from at least one direction but delays may be encountered.
    There will be a diversionary route in place along the Meadowbrook Road to Bond Bridge to Parson Street to the Main Street.
    Adjustments will be made to the traffic lights on the Main Street for the duration of the operations.
    These operation are weather dependent and the current forecast is acceptable.
    If the forecast changes later in the week, these operations may be postponed.
    Maynooth Municipal District Office

Hot off the presses. This road closure has been postponed for a week as ground temperatures are now forecast to be too low. So rescheduled for weekend of 27th.

Orion wrote: »
    Hot off the presses. This road closure has been postponed for a week as ground temperatures are now forecast to be too low. So rescheduled for weekend of 27th.

And yet the signs haven't been changed

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

L.

Hang on Orion, has anyone got some empirical evidence of these temperatures? Or are they observations based on past experiences??

And yet the signs haven't been changed

The one at the Glenroyal had been at 6pm this evening. Wasn't up the other end.

The one at the Glenroyal had been at 6pm this evening. Wasn't up the other end.

Celbridge Road still showing the old dates at 7pm. Although without timestamped photos I presume it'll be called an opinion with repeated demands to "fess up"!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

The road closure in Maynooth was canceled for this weekend and for the foreseeable future due to ground temperatures, but I just drove past some lads putting down the temporary new markings that were promised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭brian_t

Flibble wrote: »
    The road closure in Maynooth was canceled for this weekend and for the foreseeable future due to ground temperatures, but I just drove past some lads putting down the temporary new markings that were promised.

No mention of it on their twitter.

However this might interest some :

Please note that Bridge Street, Kilcock will be temporarily closed on Tuesday 31st January between the hours of 9:30 am and 2:00pm to facilitate the junction upgrade works.

New markings are making (well, encouraging maybe) people drive a bit more sensibly anyway. Less swerving away from the kerb at the bus turn for instance. Should have been done day 1 as it was actually months with the dodgy markings in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I'm sure this has been well flagged before now - the LIDL roundabout just outside Nass on the Newbridge Road - unbelievable.

And Buckley's Cross at Pfizer in Newbridge.

That's (Buckleys Cross) the microscopic thing that causes the entire town to back up, right? There could be more than one of those, of course.

Advertisement